Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge 330 Max Wedge

Brutalform

I have a couple T Bolts I’m building and since I am waiting for decals, I started messing with some spare parts I have left from the other three  max wedge cars I have going on. 
This is going to be red, with a champagne interior, street and strip car. I should have it finished up as soon as I can get some paint on the body. The weather is holding me up with the body, but I plan on getting it painted in the next few days. 
Here is where it’s at now. 

348A3B77-60AE-463C-A871-5B4A9DEFBEFE.jpeg

2DC1150D-9433-4AB1-920E-B150CA58C57E.jpeg

F74A16A7-7839-43FA-9BD5-22C797496648.jpeg

8A29F657-87E7-456E-B901-F46CC06718D0.jpeg

I set the primed body on the chassis, to see if the ride height checks out. These Lindberg kits sit kind of low in the back, so I added some styrene blocks to the rear spring perches while I was building the suspension. The front is untouched from the box. 

E4019921-60DE-4973-A5C6-5E1921175439.jpeg

6C2D6D73-BD15-48C1-92C2-00570B2DB664.jpeg

BA226FB7-65EE-4845-8414-E19A078ACA7A.jpeg

10D402E6-B7CE-4E79-8B6F-28FF605072A1.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Nitrobarry said:

A question. Did that kit include the fender well headers or the ones you used. Love your build!

This is the Lindberg kit. These headers were supplied with it. The fender well headers are in the Johan kit. I have two different types of fender well headers that I might incorporate into one of my other max wedge builds. 

The orange set are from the Johan 64 Dodge S/S kit, and the white set are resin from Harts Parts. I’m not sure what kit the white headers are originally from though. They actually look like a high performance, cast iron manifold, that exits like a fender header. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject could chime in? 

A52AB97E-8EBD-4B43-AD06-367EE716B75C.jpeg

Yeah that`s what I was getting to. I don`t have one of the Lindberg kits so I wasn`t sure as to what type of headers they included.  If anyone is looking for a set of the fenderwell type, MCW has them available. I have some of the Harts ones as well however I would use them on a pre - 63 Mopar vintage super stock build as they are probably more correct. Can`t wait to see yours finished.

14 hours ago, Brutalform said:

The orange set are from the Johan 64 Dodge S/S kit, and the white set are resin from Harts Parts. I’m not sure what kit the white headers are originally from though. They actually look like a high performance, cast iron manifold, that exits like a fender header. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject could chime in? 

A52AB97E-8EBD-4B43-AD06-367EE716B75C.jpeg

I believe they are the NASCAR manifolds from the Johan '64 Dodge.

1964 Dodge Polara JO-HAN 2Image result for 1964 dodge exhaust manifoldsboxart 003Related image

Edited by afx

Thanks for the info, JC. I guess they would look out of place on a street and strip car? 
I wish there was a TUBULAR set available that has the collectors come down behind the front tire, just like in the pic. I suppose I could give it a try building a pair using solder, but I’m not sure how that would turn out. 

48956898-1428-4391-86FE-CD9262EC14FF.jpeg

Edited by Brutalform

I sprayed four coats of clear on the Dodge last night, and another heavier coat this morning. 
After it cures a few days, I’ll polish the junk out of the clear. Pretty happy with the clear coats though, as very little junk is there. 
Clearing is where I get my most nervous in any build. I’m really happy when it comes out pretty good. 

DC8A8764-EECC-440B-B5A8-F2FCD132FEDF.jpeg

47 minutes ago, Brutalform said:

Thanks for the info, JC. I guess they would look out of place on a street and strip car? 
I wish there was a TUBULAR set available that has the collectors come down behind the front tire, just like in the pic. I suppose I could give it a try building a pair using solder, but I’m not sure how that would turn out. 

48956898-1428-4391-86FE-CD9262EC14FF.jpeg

I think you could use those manifolds on a street/strip car especially for something set up more for the stock classes.    

As for custom headers It's not as hard as it seems.  I have made several sets but I use solid styreen rod, working on the shape of each pipe individually.  I find that while solder is easy to bend it doesn't hold its shape. You should give it a try.   I won't post examples but if you would like to see some or have questions let me know and we can discuss it through PMs. 

Edited by afx

12 hours ago, Nitrobarry said:

Yeah that`s what I was getting to. I don`t have one of the Lindberg kits so I wasn`t sure as to what type of headers they included.  If anyone is looking for a set of the fenderwell type, MCW has them available. I have some of the Harts ones as well however I would use them on a pre - 63 Mopar vintage super stock build as they are probably more correct. Can`t wait to see yours finished.

Not sure about the Ramcharger and Maverick kits with the Hemi engines. I have them but I never broke the seals open as of yet. 
I have about five of the Color Me Gone kits lying around with the max wedge and chassis stolen out of them for other builds. 

5 minutes ago, afx said:

I think you could use those manifolds on a street/strip car especially for something set up more for the stock classes.    

As for custom headers It's not as hard as it seems.  I have made several sets but I use solid styreen rod, working on the shape of each pipe individually.  I find that while solder is easy to bend it doesn't hold its shape. You should give it a try.   I won't post examples but if you would like to see some or have questions let me know and we can discuss it through PMs. 

Will do! 
I noticed with the solder, it looses its shape if it’s not handled delicately. 
I’ll give it a try with the Evergreen rod. You can pretty much tie that stuff in a knot. 
I have a few more max wedge cars on the bench, and I’m pretty sure the 63 Dodge will get the fender well headers added when the time comes. 
The style of headers (orange) requires a lot of removal from the inner fenders, because the primaries go straight out from the head. I have inner fenders marked for cutting, but I think a set that exits through a nice, neat hole, in the rear of the inner well would look a lot nicer when completed.