Model Cars Magazine Forum

About to purchase an airbrush and compressor - advice please

I have two Iwata/Tamiya brushes, an Iwata HVLP mini gun, and a Badger 175 Crescendo that I use currently.  I have owned old Badger single action siphon feeds, Aztek and Testors dual action and a Paasche H.  Of all of those, the most versatile  brush in the Badger 175-7 kit.  You can pick it up for about $100.  What makes it so flexible is that that kit comes with three tips and needles (Fine, medium and wide).  It also has sipon feed jars, a gravity feed cup and hose.  The brush is designed to use the standard friction fit bottles(which you can get cheap on line).  The plastic bottles come in a wide range of sizes/ 1 oz. and up.  This one brush will give you the ability to experiment to find what is best for you and how you paint.  Like most "Jack of all trades" tools, this is not the best at everything, but it is good enough to teach the basics.  At some point just know that you will want to get another specialty brush but for a beginner it really covers all the bases.  It also has a very fat body which is comfortable in my hand.  ?

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9IH7VoQ2evqAEgsN3wRn6RuINJsJsiMJZd5BE1mXAecmvsO-AHjhKoJ7X-Pg23iNPNqe-k0SG9nqzw5Ndm8lBH4ndcRfMaCNVVMkSya8qYiPJM5YXA7XF&usqp=CAE

35 minutes ago, Monty said:

I've tried to post this in a number of these airbrush queries, but it seems to get ignored more often than not.

We have a board member who has reviewed most of the airbrushes mentioned in these threads.  It couldn't hurt to check it out:  https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/

I remember this from some time ago and wondered where it was.  Thanks for posting it. 

Many decades ago (back when plastic was first discovered) I bought a Badger airbrush and since then I've worked my way up through the Badger line, single action, double action, gravity feed, siphon feed but despite having tried a couple of other airbrush makes I still find myself grabbing the Badger 200 for the majority of my painting. Airbrushes are a very personal choice. If you can it's best to try a few different makes and try to stay with well known hobby brushes and you shouldn't be to disappointed in what you end up with.

For several years I had a hobby compressor that was noisy and only had two choices on/off. I began to hear good things about Iwata so bought a Smart Jet. It wasn't cheap but I don't regret my purchase, small, very quiet and you can ajust the psi. My only regret was not getting one with the attached tank  but just getting the one I have took a lot of hunting. Don't go cheap on a harware store style no-name, a good compressor will last you for decades.

2 hours ago, robertw said:

Many decades ago (back when plastic was first discovered) I bought a Badger airbrush and since then I've worked my way up through the Badger line, single action, double action, gravity feed, siphon feed but despite having tried a couple of other airbrush makes I still find myself grabbing the Badger 200 for the majority of my painting. Airbrushes are a very personal choice. If you can it's best to try a few different makes and try to stay with well known hobby brushes and you shouldn't be to disappointed in what you end up with.

For several years I had a hobby compressor that was noisy and only had two choices on/off. I began to hear good things about Iwata so bought a Smart Jet. It wasn't cheap but I don't regret my purchase, small, very quiet and you can ajust the psi. My only regret was not getting one with the attached tank  but just getting the one I have took a lot of hunting. Don't go cheap on a harware store style no-name, a good compressor will last you for decades.

You can hook your existing compressor to a portable tank for about $50 and get air storage of anything from a couple gallons to 10 or even 15. Or not hook it up and use it as is.  You could run full pressure right through the tank and mount your regulator at the spray booth fwiw. Just sayin, if you want a tank add a tank.

i swear  by iwata  products.   i use  the iwata  power jet pro  compressor  and  iwata  hp-cr  airbrush.   also use the iwata neo  and it works great for the price at  about $50  from coastairbrush.com    the compressor is super quiet  with a reserve tank,  2 hose outlets with 2 seperate water traps and 2 seperate  air regulators.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I see a lot is the air water separator that is threaded on the side of the compressor. This set up is not the best way. When compressor is working, it compresses water in the air, when it comes out it is a mist! The separator cant filter vapor. Best thing to do is remove filter from compressor  and run a hose and then install filter. This gives the best chance for water vapor to condense (water cools off and turns into water) and turn into water droplets. The filter can get rid of it better. I have a filter with an air regulator combined on my table away from compressor.