Model Cars Magazine Forum

A NEW PROJECT FOR 2020

It's been a while since starting a new truck project.  The Bluenose schooner was time consuming but now that it is done there is time to get back into some new rigs.  In keeping with my fire apparatus bent, this is the next in line.  An IH R190 brushbreaker that was built by Thibault of Pierreville, Quebec.  It has long since been replaced but I was fortunate to get some photos and I have the R190 cab so we are good to go.

1906798141_Mashpee354breaker.jpg.b05c38fb4acc62eb529395d0f4525d26.jpg

Edited by Chariots of Fire
added information

Now that the preliminaries are over I got down to doing some actual modeling.   Getting back into it after doing the ship model I'm finding that I'm a bit rusty!  Nevertheless it's a bit like learning to ride a bike or skate.  It all comes back after a while.  Here's were we are at with the project so far.  

002.JPG.2d063721c6704e5b07f45d58f5d14294.JPG

Tires are all cast based on a 3D printed master.  The frame awaits some modifications in length and the front axle and hubs need to be made.  The tandem rear axles are completed.  I like using brass rods and brass bushings for tires and wheels.  I know lots of modelers who don't want the tires to roll but that's not me.  So each axle will have tires and wheels that turn independent of each other.

003.JPG.1ba679ba9e2f21aec2fdf6852b1d3316.JPG

I cast up some hubs from the AMT ALF kit and then drilled out the centers.  Doing castings, I don't have to worry about the thin backing.  The casting is solid and the brass bushing fits snugly in the drilled out center.  Biggest problem is drilling the hole on center and making sure the hub doesn't wobble afterward.  So far so good.  The IH cab is pretty good albeit somewhat thick in places.  The doors will be scribed and cut away allowing for new hinges for opening.  The hood will also be cut open for displaying the engine.  In the foreground is the front axle.  The turning hubs have not been built yet.  Front wheels need modifying also but all in due time.

Edited by Chariots of Fire
spelling errors

Continuing on with frame and axle work here are some photos of the splice that was put into the frame to lengthen it to the proper wheel base and to add an extension onto the rear the way it was done on the real truck.

In another post I described how to make a frame extension but did not show any good photos.  In the first two photos that follow it should be a bit clearer what I tried to describe.

004.JPG.39e21c88541179a56c2f09ffe197f326.JPG

Above is a drawing of the length of the truck showing where the wheel base should be.  In the middle of the drawing are two short lines indicating the amount of extension that was needed.  I used a second Ford dump truck frame to cut a section out of the dropped portion.  Inside the back frame rail you can see the plastic sheet shim that was used to back up the cut out section.  I used two pieces but I could have easily used a single one as long as the two together.  In front of the frame is a piece of plastic that will be used behind the front frame.  The piece that was cut from the second Ford frame has already been added to both sides of the rear portion of the frame.

005.JPG.c832fd2697de425eb3c106773f2bf1f9.JPG

The frame is now complete with both splices done.  I added another crossmember from the IH kit to strengthen the extended section.  When the frame is sanded and lightly filled at the joints it should appear as a single frame from the outside.  The white extension at the rear was added as a partial support for the rear mounted pump that will go there.  A piece of diamond plate will be added to the top and it will all be blended in with the body.  

The next project is to get the front axle and steering knuckles done so I can mount the front tires and wheels.

007.JPG.98816f2c2b0a61c8df44450c60cb9b16.JPG

With the front end held up with a block the frame sits level.  This is about where it should be and the front springs and axle will have to fit this stance.

The front end is on hold until I can get to the LHS and pick up some brass tubing.  Just when you think you've got what you need in the stash it isn't there!  In the meantime I did some research on the Red Diamond 501 engine that will power the truck.  I found some images along with a not so good picture in the instructions that came with the cab.  An old KW block and reversed oil plan was the start.  I found some manifolds in the stash box that fit the exhaust ok but had to manufacture one for the intake and carb mounting.  The valve cover is just a block of plastic.  The transmission was also out of the scrap box with a small addition for the starting motor.  Distributor and coil are plastic tubing.  The plugs on the 501 are booted so I inserted some tubing in the block and drilled out the tops for the wiring.  A bit or detailing such as nuts and bolts, dip stick and other little things will make the engine look more like a working piece.  The engine has dual fan belts so three double pulleys were turned from aluminum rod.  The fan belts for now are paper strips.  The fan came from the ALF lit.  The generator is also plastic tubing.   Beside the frame are the air intake and transfer case.  008.JPG.b18be8e349e509ff6aaf98f6bc2a8cb9.JPG009.JPG.d4b930de76b8f2c1a097574bf4b7cb64.JPG

Got some work done on the engine today.  It's a representation; not an exact replica as good photos are hard to come by.  But I've tried to imagine what it might look like after it is uncrated and ready for installing on the chassis.  Believe me, a couple of trips into a wooded area with smoke, charring and dust and it won't look like this for very long.  It will get dirtied up a bit before calling it done.  Not so as to render it uncared for but so it looks like it has seen some work.  Those lines sticking out in mid-air will be connected once the engine is installed on the chassis and there is a firewall to go to.  I ended up using some thin strips of electrical tape for the fan belts.

012.JPG.c61a4190e5257057ed4c3dab45427cc4.JPG013.JPG.dabc42f1275c7a22f5d9a48bf52ccb92.JPG014.JPG.b1631ef33b18f3ebb63ae51b367bfd7e.JPG