Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO Kraz 255 Wrecker

Hi Guys!!

It's been a while since I posted a build on any of the forums here. I thought by jumping into the build off it would get me motivated to finish something.

This truck is an all resin kit that took FOREVER to get. Here's where I'm at:

1025191447-vi.jpg

I built the chassis and was going to build it as a converted fire department tanker.  Then I picked up a Revell Kenworth 900 Wrecker kit dirt cheap at a thrift store. I decided to Convert the Krazz to a wrecker. This meant I had to stretch an already assembled frame.

1027191311-vi.jpg

And here's where I'm at. The space behind the cab is supposed to house the spare tire but I destroyed the tire carrier. I'm thinking of adding a pair of outriggers there and mounting the tire behind the boom. I've made a new winch bumper for the front from scratch. Here is the truck mocked up. 

1031191526-vi.jpg

This rig will be blue and white To match the other heavy wrecker in my fleet:

rvETn-vi.jpg

I intend to wheather the Krazz slightly.

This is how far I've gotten with the truck so far. I'll keep you all updated!

Thanks for looking!

42 minutes ago, NothingAsFineAsaW9 said:

Who let the Beast out Who Who.

These R190's you have going are just going to be killer looking builds.

Nice work.

Umm... Its actually a Kraz 255 truck lol  definitely could pass for a  retired military truck converted to civilian duty  !!! Especially looking at those tires , that beast will go anywhere 

• 3 months later...

I've finally gotten back to this thing. I was originally going to add outriggers between the cab and the wrecker body. I just didn't like the look. While digging for parts for something else I found an Italeri pivoting crane that had it's own set of outriggers. Problem was I had no room for it between the cab and body. What to do? I stretched the frame again:

0424201517-vi.jpg

I mocked it up to make sure everything would fit0424201558-vi.jpg

And here it is up on it's tires, well half of them anyway. The rear wheel openings do not appear to line up properly so some work to the body is in order. I need to wait until the wheels and tries are mounted for good before I can do that though.

0427201523-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking. I'll hopefully have more updates soon.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been moving along on this project but forgot to update it here. Sorry about that! Here's where my monster wrecker stands as of today.

I did some additional detailing on the engine then made it look well used. Every pic I've seen of one of these has the paint peeling off the air cleaner. I tried to replicate that look.

0519201719-vi.jpg

Here's the boom arm detailed. I've got a few more details to add before I can call this part of the truck done.

0523200740-vi.jpg

Here's a front view. I'm trying not to go overboard with the weathering.

0523201254-vi.jpg

And here's a preview of the livery it will carry. This will match my Lonestar wrecker.

0525201646-vi.jpg

This truck has been one of the most challenging builds I have ever done. Between the resin base kit and all the mods it has really tried my patience but I think it will pay off.

Thanks for looking!

Firs, I want to thank everyone on the positive comments on my project. This is one of the most difficult builds I've ever attempted. Here's my latest update:

I was able to get started on the interior. Those seats look way to clean. Guess I'll have to dirty them up.

0531201717-vi.jpg

i figured out the spare tire mount. Simple seatbelt buckle from MCG.

0531201717b-vi.jpg

Cab is painted and the boom is installed. Cab is just mocked up as I have quite a bit more to do before I can mount it for good.

0531201717a-vi.jpg

Thanks for checking it out!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry it's so long between updates. I've got a lot done on this one.

The interior is finished. Here's a shot of it before I mounted the cab for good.

0612201603_HDR-vi.jpg

Cab is mounted for good and I was able to add hinges to the doors.

0613200920_HDR-vi.jpg

Engine detailing is done and I hinged the hood as well.

0613200921_HDR-vi.jpg

I also got the windshield installed. While I was at it I added a spotlight to the "A" pillar.

0619201548a_HDR-vi.jpg

0619201548_HDR-vi.jpg

The lens for the spotlight has been added. It fell out and I didn't notice until I took the pics.

I'm in the home stretch with this. It should be finished soon.

Thanks for looking

Edited by am73grand