Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who's fed up with this......???

thatz4u

Wife just retired as an ER nurse at a big hospital.  She never got the flu because being exposed to all kinds of stuff on a daily basis, her immune system was like armor!  However that also meant that she would bring all kinds of viruses home on her clothing.    I have been getting flu shots since I was a kid and now that I am 70 with other health condition, it is doubly important.  Flu could easily be the death of me.  To easy to get a flu shot and be safe. 

Edited by Pete J.

I think it may affect people in different ways. Mrs. BUCKY was required to get one on two different occasions, as a condition of employment. She fell extremely ill both times, once ending up in the hospital. Needless to say....I'm skeered to get one!! LoL

I've been fighting off a cold for the past two weeks. Headache, low grade fever, the associated aches and pains...

My wife is an RN in a nursing home. She brings home all kinds of bugs and viruses. Yay me!

Been years since I've had a flu shot, though I'm certainly in a compromised health condition. Guess all those year of playing in dirt and the great outdoors is paying off! :)

My wife has a real thing about not getting Flu shots or any others for that matter. She just started in a new office a couple of weeks age and one of the other ladies had a really bad Cold but kept working. So now everyone else in the office is sick with a nasty Cold and some think the Flu. I haven't had any Flu shots that I can even remember and only got sick once about 10 years ago with the Flu. I just take a couple of extra vitamin C's every morning and stay clear of anyone coughing and sneezing.  

42 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

My daughter is a first grade teacher and mother to my three grandchildren.... a two year old and twin six month olds!   Schools are a breeding facility for all kinds of illness, so we have all gotten our flu shots to protect the babies! 

You said it, schools and day-care centers are BREEDING grounds for all kinds of illness. I definitely agree with getting shots, washing often, using "wipes" to wipe down books, backpacks, and many other things like door knobs, counter tops, etc.

My work place is a constant merry go round of sickness , I treat it with brake clean and booze, this recipe has not let me down yet. 

of note , I work in a car dealer, no one can afford to call in sick, so they share the sickness with all of us.....

For several years, I worked at the local nuclear power plant. Every year, we would have one or two outages, one in spring, one in autumn. Right around the time the weather starts changing. Anywhere from 1000 to 2000 employees would be hired for 30 to 45 days to work on the reactor. During these outages, a lot of germs were passed around. Nearly everyone was affected by the end of the outage. We always called it "nuclear flu", or "outage flu". I was lucky, because I had an office job, shuffling paperwork, and rarely had to venture into the reactor building, so I never did catch nuclear flu.

On 1/9/2020 at 2:59 PM, SfanGoch said:

Cold & flu virus stopped hanging around me in 1981 as a result of a dispute regarding some unpaid loans due me. Seriously though, I don't get the flu nor do I get flu shots.

I don’t take flu shots because having MS could make me sick but they at my doctor say no. I have only had the flu once in my life a few years ago but I understand how people can die from it. I don’t get out much and my sone takes his shower and changes his clothes after school. My wife washes her hands like a nurse. I do take vitamin C every morning...

2 hours ago, Bucky said:

For several years, I worked at the local nuclear power plant. Every year, we would have one or two outages, one in spring, one in autumn. Right around the time the weather starts changing. Anywhere from 1000 to 2000 employees would be hired for 30 to 45 days to work on the reactor. During these outages, a lot of germs were passed around. Nearly everyone was affected by the end of the outage. We always called it "nuclear flu", or "outage flu". I was lucky, because I had an office job, shuffling paperwork, and rarely had to venture into the reactor building, so I never did catch nuclear flu.

I had worked at our local nuclear power plant four different times and yes I had to work in the reactor building. If I remember right most of the outages took place in the warmer weather. The plant has been shut down and leveled for a few/several years from what I hear. It was an interesting place to work, especially for an outside contractor.

Nothing wrong with vitamin C but I understand the body can only absorb so much and taking extra just gets p****d out and you're wasting money. My doctor is big on taking vitamin D especially in the winter months. My wife and I get a flu shot every year and have done it so long that it's just a habit.

We never really get the flu but my wife now has COPD, congestive heart failure and some other nasty things that put her at greater risk than some others. The COPD is a direct result of kemo treatments over 20 years ago that damaged her lungs.We also have a 4 month old great grand son who we see occasionally so at our doctor's suggestion we both got the shots this season as a precaution.

As to the comment about school being a breeding ground for illnesses,consider what we have learned from our one neighbor. They have a 4 month old baby that was born with several birth defects that out her at a high risk level for any infectious diseases. She has three older brothers,two of which are elementary school age. Their little girl spent the first two months of her life in the hospital and has had three major surgeries included open heart at 6 days old.Her doctors recommend that the mom bathe the older kids right after school and wash the clothes they wore to school. Great idea there to prevent spreading the flu.

1 minute ago, misterNNL said:

As to the comment about school being a breeding ground for illnesses...

Before my twin granddaughters were born, my older granddaughter went to daycare and was always sick.  Now that she is being watched at home along with the twins she no longer gets ill!

Still, my daughter teaches first grade so she has to be careful!

No what I hate are those stupid CVS commercials.The ones that they make the sniffling,caughing,sneezing noises,while I’m waiting on hold to talk to a pharmacist. Ahhh,that sneezing,aching,coughing,running nose....SHUT UP, and let me talk to a pharmacy staff.They repeat it over and over, till I just simply hang up.