Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1992 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo

polybius

I've had a crush on these since they debuted in 1991.  The Stealth always appealed to me more than its Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 sibling, and I built one of these as a teenager as soon as the kit was released.  The promos have always been easy to find and came in red, black, pearl white, and even pearl yellow. 

For this kit build all these years later, though, I tracked down some Chrysler Intense Blue Pearl that looked to be a close enough match to the Bright Blue Metallic offered on the Stealth R/T in '91 and '92.  It was essentially box stock from the ground up, and while the kit's plethora of underhood hose detail is tedious it eventually fills much of the engine compartment.  The assembly went smoothly with only minor fit issues, but it would have been nice to work with clear lenses front and rear rather than the kit's red and smoke tinted parts.  Tamiya's  Mitsubishi kit is 1/24 scale and offers better exterior detailing but is a curbside and lacks an engine.  It makes me wonder if this kit's engine might make a good donor for it.  

stealth rt 001.jpg

stealth rt 003.jpg

stealth rt 006.jpg

stealth rt 007.jpg

stealth rt 005.jpg

Nice build of this kit! I like your choice of color for it. This, to me, is a surprisingly nice kit for the time period. If you want another to build I have one that is still unstarted. PM me if you'd like to do a trade. I'll probably never build mine.

Later-

Sweet looking build. I have a 1/20 scale version from Lindberg, this gives me motivation to build it, lol.  I have had 2 1:1 Twin Turbo R/T cars and these tail lights look 100% accurate on your build.  Also, your blue is pretty close as well. I built a Tamiya 3000gt VR-4 in the OEM Mitsubishi Fiji Blue that is the same color pretty much, just a different name from Chrysler.

Great build man!

3000gt finished 2.jpg

3000gt finished 10.jpg

I recently finished the Tamiya 3000 GT and it inspired me to get this kit as well and give it a go. Your blue is stunning and you have a stellar looking model there. 

I think the thing that bothered me most about the Dodge is that wonky half spoiler. I can almost overlook it on your kit, the overall look is so bang on. Almost. 

Nice work. Loving it. 

Thanks everyone for the kind comments!  That Indy Official Car and 3000GT look great too, and they gave me some ideas for future Stealth/3000GT builds.  Besides the AMT annual kit releases from 91 through 95, there were a couple different Snap-Fast versions as well that were essentially unassembled curbside promos.  I've never taken a close look at Lindberg 1/20 offerings though.  I'd imagine those kits are getting hard to find, and I don't think they were ever re-released.  Again, many thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

This is fantastic!! This is also my favorite car. I must have build about 10 of these kits when I was a kid always trying to get it perfect. 25 years later I am back into the hobby and am building the same kit in the same color right now. I remember it being a little difficult as a 15 year old. Now, its not too bad, goes together nicely. It surprisingly has a lot of detail. My only complaints about the kit are the headlights like you mentioned, and the wheel assembly/ lack of brake rotors. What paint did you use for the turn signals on the headlights? Your build looks great man!

A few things about the Lindberg kit( build that one as a kid too), it does have accurate headlights in a 3 piece assembly with turn signals, however the engine doesn't have any turbos! So its basically just the Stealth RT. Anyway, I have attached a few pics of my current build

stealth engine.jpg

stealth interior.jpg

stealth.JPG