Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cordless airbrush/compressor in one

I don't see a section for tools so I guess this is the section. ??

Anyway,

My wife got this little unit got me as an early birthday present. I've not seen something like this before but I guess it's pretty common now.

Looks like a dual action airbrush but you can only control the amount of paint with the trigger. I think it's made that way but I'm not sure. 

Seems like an ideal setup for someone who'd like to try using an airbrush but cant, or doesn't want to shell out for a traditional airbrush and compressor.

I'll be trying it out over the weekend and report back on what I think of it.

Image result for cordless airbrush and compressor in one"

5 minutes ago, Bucky said:

Interesting little setup. Is it rechargeable?

Yes, rechargeable.

USB plug that lights up red when charging and green when it's ready to use.

supposed to put out about 17/18 psi and good for 1/2 hour. It took less than an hour to charge.

Weighs about the same as a glass coffee cup

Oh, and it was only $37 CDN plus shipping.

Edited by Can-Con

I found this on the net, some details might be of interest: 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33021608650.html

The same source also showed this Badger 350 knockoff for under $9! Almost too cheap to worry about cleaning it--use it once and throw it away! :blink::lol:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33003540659.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000014.45.23fb2e84nOENsC&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.13338.146400.0&scm_id=1007.13338.146400.0&scm-url=1007.13338.146400.0&pvid=6973c327-0204-41c8-8bb6-c0ecb6972e3d

Edited by Snake45

And here I thought this was about a scale model of an airbrush!  This section is for *MODELS* which do not fit any other category. :rolleyes:

Post your "other" models here… motorcycles, planes, tanks and military, ships, sci-fi, figures, or anything else... even your Gregg bobble-heads!

But what you have here is very interesting.  IMO, this would have been much better fit in the "Tips, tricks . . ." section of the forum, which I suspect is read by most members.  I'm also curious how well this 1:1 scale airbrush performs.

Edited by peteski

14 hours ago, peteski said:

And here I thought this was about a scale model of an airbrush!  This section is for *MODELS* which do not fit any other category. :rolleyes:

Post your "other" models here… motorcycles, planes, tanks and military, ships, sci-fi, figures, or anything else... even your Gregg bobble-heads!

But what you have here is very interesting.  IMO, this would have been much better fit in the "Tips, tricks . . ." section of the forum, which I suspect is read by most members.  I'm also curious how well this 1:1 scale airbrush performs.

You feel free to move this thread to anywhere you like Peter.?

OK, well, I painted an engine with it over the weekend. 

Looks like a dual action, works like a single action . Brush screws on compressor assembly, not "quick disconnect" style. 

Paint cup is not detachable. Takes less than an hour to charge. Ran for 15 or 20 minutes and still has a charge. don't know how long it takes to kill the battery yet. Package says 1/2 hour so??

Puts out around 16/18 psi continually with no pulsing. BUT, no way to control air flow on this brush.  Might be broken?? but it looks like there's no room for an air valve so maybe it's just how it's made.

Sprayed smooth and was easy enough to control the amount of paint same as a dual action airbrush, even for me, who's not used to a dual action brush.

So, it did work pretty good for what I used it for.  Should also be fine for interior and chassis parts. The real test will be with a body but I don't have one ready for paint at the moment.

I think it'll be fine for general model work.  Should make a good system for a "first timer" or , at less than $40. a handy second brush,

19 minutes ago, peteski said:

How does it feel when you're not just holding a small pen-size airbrush, but also a miniature compressor and a battery are hanging off of it?  Is it awkward to use?

How loud it the noise?

2 minutes ago, Bucky said:

Does it have any sort of vibration? That might affect the spray pattern a bit.

It doesn't weigh much ,, about the same as an empty glass coffee mug. Feels not much more then the weight of my Badger with it's air hose hanging down.

I found it a bit awkward, but I'm used to a single action brush. I think anyone used to using a dual action brush would find it very similar.

It's quite quiet, quieter than my old microwave oven ,, definitely quieter than my compressor , about like the power windows in my car. 

There's not much vibration at all ,, barely noticeable. Doesn't affect the spray at all.

14 hours ago, shoopdog said:

This is very interesting, could you post a link to its source or a brand name?

Here's a link. Can't find a brand name on mine. It came in a pretty generic box with minimal of information. 

I do see them on line under a couple different names but they all look to be the same unit.

They all seem to say "dual action" but I can't control the air on mine. It seems to be made that way since there doesn't seem to be enough room where it attaches to the little compressor for an air valve.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. It was about the same price I'd pay at my local shop for a regular kit so it's not like it cost a lot.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32993841801.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000014.5.23fb2e84Mn4Gnn&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.13338.128125.0&scm_id=1007.13338.128125.0&scm-url=1007.13338.128125.0&pvid=6f967734-86de-4c9d-805d-c833dcb13688

About dual action:  Does the air come out when you press the trigger down?  Can you also pull the trigger back to open up the nozzle (to allow more paint to flow)?  If yes, then it is a dual-action airbrush.

None of the dual action airbrushes I have worked with allowed you to control the air volume/pressure. The trigger is just on-off for air.  If I wanted to control the air pressure, I had to do that at the pressure regulator at the compressor.

25 minutes ago, peteski said:

About dual action:  Does the air come out when you press the trigger down?  Can you also pull the trigger back to open up the nozzle (to allow more paint to flow)?  If yes, then it is a dual-action airbrush.

None of the dual action airbrushes I have worked with allowed you to control the air volume/pressure. The trigger is just on-off for air.  If I wanted to control the air pressure, I had to do that at the pressure regulator at the compressor.

No, the air constantly comes out.  

The trigger will move up and down like a regular dual [I do have one too but prefer my 350 for almost everything I do] but there's no spring to hold it up and pulling up on the trigger does not shut down the airflow. All the duals I've used could control airflow this way.  It is an incredibly cheap unit, that's why I'm wondering if it's just made this way.

But, yes, pull back on trigger for more  paint flow, just like a regular dual.

Anyway, I have a friend who'd kind of an "airbrush guru" He does repairs and maintenance on brushes for our whole club. I'm gonna have him look at it. It does seem to work fine the way it is though. 

Oh, I think I finally understand.  So as long as its little compressor is running, the air comes out of the nozzle (even if your finger is not on the trigger)?!    The only way to stop the paint (but not air) flow is to release the trigger so the needle stops the paint flow? That is really unconventional.

16 hours ago, peteski said:

Oh, I think I finally understand.  So as long as its little compressor is running, the air comes out of the nozzle (even if your finger is not on the trigger)?!    The only way to stop the paint (but not air) flow is to release the trigger so the needle stops the paint flow? That is really unconventional.

Uh, not quite ,,

Yes, the air is always flowing as long as it's on. 

But the paint flow works the same as a regular dual. Pull back on the trigger for paint,, farther back, more paint. Don't pull the trigger, no paint.

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Uh, not quite ,,

Yes, the air is always flowing as long as it's on. 

But the paint flow works the same as a regular dual. Pull back on the trigger for paint,, farther back, more paint. Don't pull the trigger, no paint.

I understand - thanks.  The only way to stop the paint (but not air) flow is to release the trigger so the needle stops the paint flow.

10 minutes ago, peteski said:

I understand - thanks.  The only way to stop the paint (but not air) flow is to release the trigger so the needle stops the paint flow.

Yes, right. 

This really can get confusing if not talking in person. ?