Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell USA 2020 car kit news

Mr. Metallic

8 minutes ago, alexis said:

IIRC, Rob the same "iffy' small block V-8 that Revell used in the Chevy Square-Body Chevrolet Trucks. Like the Billy Carter Pickup.

No, this LUV is the Monogram 1/24th kit, not the Revell one.  Googling turned up the original box art, it shows the engine on the side of the box, can't tell what it is from this angle..I'd assume a 4cyl.

monogram-chevy-luv-street-pickup_1_d779fee55671f30fd915ca96bb4c2100.jpg

monogram-2251-chevy-luv-street-pickup_1_b9e2e39ab02a5ef2e1048e00adbf95f0.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

6 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

Do we know what the new parts are?

Some may be visible in this pic of the kit and box art I saw posted in an FB group yesterday.  Front bumper, wheels and tires look like stock items instead of the off road style in the previous issue..looks like maybe a stock rollbar/rollcage....

83689740_3334568493236490_1498323728033906688_n.jpg

Here is what a stock early-00s Wrangler Rubicon would look like...

2003-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-3.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

2 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Some may be visible in this pic of the kit and box art I saw posted in an FB group yesterday.  Front bumper, wheels and tires look like stock items instead of the off road style in the previous issue..looks like maybe a stock rollbar/rollcage....

Thanks Rob

Great, another Jeep kit to add to the list (and after seeing the Italeri new release thread). I'm  kidding, I can't wait for the stock version. I must have about a dozen of the modified kits and snap kits. I need a stock one to model my daily driver. The modified one has too many modifications to model my Jeep. Thank you Revell, bring it out tomorrow, lol.

Jeff 

Edited by Goose1957
Spelling error

The LUV is probably a fair start towards a stock version.  Are the pickup bed inner wheel houses correct?  The kit pickup bed has them running from front to back instead of being only behind the wheel opening on each side.  Losing the custom fender flares will take some doing, nothing out of reach for anyone who has done much in the way of conversions.

As for the engine, maybe check the rapid prototype guys, someone out there might be a LUV fanatic who wants a stock model and has a 1:1 engine to work from to develop one in scale.  As an aside, not many people remember, but the '82 (first year only) S-10 was available with that engine.

7 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Now this has piqued my interest even more with the Rubicon kit even more, because from the previous pic only showing the front corner that was making it appear it was going to be a factory stock offering, I'm now curious to find out if it will now be a 2 in 1 kit. Regardless I know I would like at least one for a factory stock build to go along with the previous issue I already have, but having the stock and off road parts included I could see some very interesting variations being built out of this kit, and I know in my case any using the factory wheels and tires those Mickey Thompson Baja Claws wouldn't go to waste! 

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Are the pickup bed inner wheel houses correct?  The kit pickup bed has them running from front to back instead of being only behind the wheel opening on each side. 

No. The full scale has wheel wells just like any other pickup. Thinking that modification may had something to do with the topper. It would be a good modification on the full scale also. They were a single wall bed. So, if something slid around in the bed, you'd get a dent poking out.

OK, here's the relatively stock snaptite Jeep, and versions of the Luv. Stepside nasty, at least better than goofy Revell thing. Normal side truck looks ok, bumpers, all but flares, front spoiler seem OK. I tossed in a built one, as it really looks like you could clean it up a bit. Bed wheel wells look like they go all the way to tailgate?

Image result for revell snap jeepImage result for monogram luv pickup kitImage result for monogram luv pickup kitImage result for monogram luv pickup kit

12 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

That's the Build n Plays Wrangler, the only thing about it and the Tomb Raiders Jeep share are the fact they're Jeeps.

That, a nearly identical chassis, interior sl different because hardtop, and 5 bolt vs 6 bolt bead locks. Same tires. Yep, you nailed it. 

E23776B6-2883-4C66-8B13-DD5A0E5ECF6F.jpeg

354670FB-CA7C-4D3E-9E0F-BB2CDB409AFC.jpeg

Edited by DukeE
nearly added

48 minutes ago, DukeE said:

That, an identical chassis, tires, interior sl different because hardtop, and 5 bolt vs 6 bolt bead locks. Yep, you nailed it. 

I see some similarities to the chassis and interior, not identical though. 

I have tried to test fit the top from the Build'n'Play to the Snap TR Wrangler. At least for me, the top came nowhere near fitting. Size issues and other fit problems.  I might try again though just to see if I was wrong.

Does anybody have both kits?

I have copies of the 29 and Jeep Rubicon right now and have been  given clearance to build the 29 and make the video public (it's a 2n1 and will be getting two seperate videos as each one), but have to wait to issue the video on the Jeep until they say so.  They both look great.

We'll see soon enough what is all new in each.