Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 Plymouth HEMI GTX 1/25 Scale

14 hours ago, GoatGuy said:

Francis, once again I have just found this thread and it is stunning!! I feel like I was in class with a professor.

Thanks for the compliment GoatGuy!  Hope the class was less boring than the one I remember from my younger days!  Cheers, Francis

PS: I do have another thread in this category ('70 Dart Swinger Big Block Scratchbuilt 1/25 Scale) so feel free to go check it if you're interested...

Hello Francis, gorgeous fabrication, seeing shiny aluminum on our models is always a treat, and your specific skills are mind boggling.

What a thrill to view and study, maybe there's something here that I can pick up to improve what I do....I'm grateful to see what you accomplish, and will further enjoy your entries.

Thanks for posting these wonderful photos.

Mike..

Thank you very much Mike for your compliments on this build it's very appreciated!

The GTX was built a couple a years ago but if you love this kind of build then I invite you to check my thread (Drag Racing Models) of the '64 Dodge D100 Pro Street that I'm current building. It's an work in progress build and I'm making a lot of aluminum/brass parts with all the infos and pics of the machining process. I will try to upload pics on a weekly basis until I reach the slow build season (May to September).

Thanks for watching and stay safe, Francis

• 1 month later...

Amazing attention to detail Francis. You are truly a master craftsman. I am in the process of gathering parts to build a replica of my 1968 SS/AH Hemi Cuda.  Francis would you be interested in helping a fellow Canadian from Vancouver with making a set of valve covers and an intake manifold for me.  Again thank you for bringing modeling up to your excellence.

Regards

Greg Cruickshank

Hello Greg!  Thanks for your kind comments on my builds, I really appreciate!  I got some request from other members and other guys at model shows and I take this as a compliment but the major problem is the time required to make these parts.  All these parts are made manually (no CNC) so it's time consuming and it's almost impossible to put a decent price on them.  Feel free to send me a personal message because I'm very interrested by your project anyway (I built a '68 Dart LO23 Super Stock few years ago).

Truly, Francis

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 6:00 PM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Hello Greg!  Thanks for your kind comments on my builds, I really appreciate!  I got some request from other members and other guys at model shows and I take this as a compliment but the major problem is the time required to make these parts.  All these parts are made manually (no CNC) so it's time consuming and it's almost impossible to put a decent price on them.  Feel free to send me a personal message because I'm very interrested by your project anyway (I built a '68 Dart LO23 Super Stock few years ago).

Truly, Francis

Hi Francis

Thank you for your response. I understand about the time and cost but if you ever think about doing these parts I m sure the cost will be more than fair for the excellent craftmanship. Scott at Futurattractions has made me some rims and tires. Alan at Woppie Kat Decals made a custom set of decals that match the real car perfectly. I got a set of resin carbs from Fireball Models. I can make the oil pan, headers and many other things. I have sent you a photo of the engine and car. everything on the motor is polished aluminum and if you know of any way of making plastic look like polished aluminum I would very much appreciate it.  

Regards

Greg

20140916_202704.jpg

88991862_187934399311200_7215227013195700817_n.jpg

3 hours ago, Greg Cruickshank said:

Hi Francis

Thank you for your response. I understand about the time and cost but if you ever think about doing these parts I m sure the cost will be more than fair for the excellent craftmanship. Scott at Futurattractions has made me some rims and tires. Alan at Woppie Kat Decals made a custom set of decals that match the real car perfectly. I got a set of resin carbs from Fireball Models. I can make the oil pan, headers and many other things. I have sent you a photo of the engine and car. everything on the motor is polished aluminum and if you know of any way of making plastic look like polished aluminum I would very much appreciate it.  

Regards

Greg

Hello again Greg!  I will send you a personal mail so check your mailbox.  Francis

Just Wow!  Very impressive work.  It's way beyond what I want to do (or can do) at age 66.  But it is wonderful to look at and it can give one ideas for a few "extras".  If I give this a "100" for details and extras, I am probably thinking of maybe "12 - 15" for what I'm doing for fun (and to preserve a little NASCAR history from 45 - 55 years ago). 

We each have our own ideas and goals, I am glad that you can do this so well.  (I just worry about mundane little things such as where to find dirt-track tires and the right headers for a 1966 Fairlane or cowl-induction air cleaners for other projects.) 

I have other interests indoors and out, such as nature photography, building front yard rock gardens, tending native plants, mineral collecting, light indoor carpentry, … aside from my planned model building.  [My second wife is a retired Occupational Therapist and she makes jewelry to sharpen her "fine motor skills" and that is a similar benefit of model building.]

As long as it's fun, keep doing it.

Edited by ontherocks
Minor grammar fix.

6 hours ago, ontherocks said:

Just Wow!  Very impressive work.  It's way beyond what I want to do (or can do) at age 66.  But it is wonderful to look at and it can give one ideas for a few "extras".  If I give this a "100" for details and extras, I am probably thinking of maybe "12 - 15" for what I'm doing for fun (and to preserve a little NASCAR history from 45 - 55 years ago). 

We each have our own ideas and goals, I am glad that you can do this so well.  (I just worry about mundane little things such as where to find dirt-track tires and the right headers for a 1966 Fairlane or cowl-induction air cleaners for other projects.) 

I have other interests indoors and out, such as nature photography, building front yard rock gardens, tending native plants, mineral collecting, light indoor carpentry, … aside from my planned model building.  [My second wife is a retired Occupational Therapist and she makes jewelry to sharpen her "fine motor skills" and that is a similar benefit of model building.]

As long as it's fun, keep doing it.

Thanks for the compliments Joseph!  Of course, everyone take the hobby at a different level and it's not necessary to push it at the extreme all the time.  Many builders make very nice and accurate out of the box builds and it's perfect that way too.

This forum is the right place to find all the informations or parts you looking for and I'm always surprised by the knowledges of the enthusiasts members on this one.

I do have others interests too and don't build much during summer so I mainly spend some bench time during the cold season (as others, I do have more build time recently caused by the pandemic situation and the slow spring start).

Take care, Francis

1 hour ago, Dutzie said:

If I only had one ounce of your skill. Truly amazing!

Thanks Brian, take the time to check and you will see all the good work done everywhere on this forum!  Take care, Francis

1 hour ago, comp1839 said:

very nice work Francis. having done one or two of these myself i can appreciate the time and effort involved.  keep up the great work!

Thanks Dave! I'm very honored by your comments, your reputation precedes you as a great machinist so your kind words are a good way to keep me fully motivated.  Take care, Francis