Model Cars Magazine Forum

Glue Bomb Rescues?

Straightliner59

UH, Bill, who's Kurt?  Just kiddin, Thanks for the kind comment.  I tried to get the look of the 1:1 car as much as I possible.

Dan, AKA Kurt I think. LOL.I enjoy seeing your work Bill and hope to see you at the BSAC model show in Hilliard Ohio this March.  March 7th that is. 

Edited by 59 Impala

For me, there's just something about resurrecting an old glue bomb! I was very apprehensive about buying this '62 F-100. It had the custom cab extender molded in,  glue burn spots where fins and skirts had been, thick paint, etc. I figured for sure that the rear glass detail was ruined. I was the only bidder and won it. I figured if nothing else, I could use it for parts or convert it to a small window flareside. Once stripped, I discovered that the original builder had used putty to mount the cab extender. No damage to the rear of the cab at all! As fate would have it, I won a '61 and another '62 weeks later. So, the decision to hack on this one was easy. Four years of on again off again work, I finally finished it! The only before photos are in Photobucket purgatory. 

47989316633_07c7abb617_b.jpg

This was another rough one. All I could salvage was the body, convertible top and door panels. The rest was glued so solid, there was no hope of getting it apart. I used a reissued Mount N Goat to bring it back to life along with a scratch built top. I do have a late before photo.

42950378410_ee4e1920f6_b.jpg

48133104376_bdf0a6fe65_b.jpg

This one didn't have a drop of glue or paint on it. But, it had what seemed like a thousand nicks, gouges, scratches and a chunk missing out of the right front fender.

48409049727_836d7bd02d_b.jpg

This one was a promo paint bomb! I combined it with a Revell T-Bolt. I fixed the crooked front bumper since this photo was taken. 

48948398718_2f693a8b22_b.jpg

This one was a fairly clean promo. Also combined with a Revell T-Bolt. It was built to be the exact opposite of the '61 Comet.

49210129577_ba3c5fa634_b.jpg

Edited by Plowboy

19 hours ago, 59 Impala said:

UH, Bill, who's Kurt?  Just kiddin, Thanks for the kind comment.  I tried to get the look of the 1:1 car as much as I possible.

Dan, AKA Kurt I think. LOL.I enjoy seeing your work Bill and hope to see you at the BSAC model show in Hilliard Ohio this March.  March 7th that is. 

Oops! Sorry about that Dan! :lol: I had a post opened up from Kurt in another tab and thought I was responding to him!

This is what happens when you're trying to post from work and multitask at the same time! :D

I've not heard of that show in Ohio. I'll have to check it out sometime, but I'm afraid this coming March is a bit of short notice for me. NNL East is coming up the following month and I've already scheduled a couple days off from work so I can get to that the day before, then I can rest up over the weekend and not have to go back in Sunday night for Monday.

I have two of those Mako Sharks, one a very good rebuilder which I took apart and a pristine never touched kit.....both in their original boxes. I'd have to practice on the fadeaway paint as that's something I've not tried before.

This is where junk bodies will come in reeeaal handy! I'd like to take some "artistic license" and put redline tires on mine though. That car just seems to scream out for them to me!

On 1/12/2020 at 2:27 AM, MrObsessive said:

I showed this here recently and while this was not super terribly built originally, it was bad enough that I just had to take it apart and redo it. An eBay win I happen to bump into and for 20 bucks the price wasn't bad at all. :D

The chassis on this was MUCH WORSE than the rest of the model. To the point that I had to go out and find a parts car to replace the terribly glued suspension as it was simply unusable as is.

In fact, this is the first time I've attempted to rescue a "glue bomb" as far as I can remember. Corvettes are always hard to resist anyway and this '74 was no exception!

Before......

Very nice save!! 

Edited by wrenchr

My late, younger brother found this glue bomb '72 Corvette convertible at a yard sale. We were both into models all of our lives and he wanted me to "save" this one. This was 25 years ago and it's a little sentimental for me. I'm a Corvette enthusiast (http://www.shamblesmodels.com/real-cars.html) and my first one was a '72 coupe. I don't remember exactly what this model looked like when I got it, and I don't have any before photos, but here's the after photos:

HPIM1511.JPG

HPIM1512.JPG

HPIM1510.JPG

Edited by Shambles

On 1/12/2020 at 11:34 PM, styromaniac said:

Through the years I've actually acquired 3 or 4 original issue Monogram Little Ts in various states of glue bomb disassembly. Invariably the delicate front suspension on most of them were in terrible shape, along with glue smeared windshields. But seeing as how it was the first model car I built in my youth that I was proud of ( actually placed 2nd Junior division in a model car contest back in 1964 in Palatine Illinois ) I had to revisit it with improved building skills.

20190420_172926.jpg

Nice build ! My favorite was the Monogram Little T. Hard to find them now.

Edited by Ron W.

• 2 weeks later...

Great results  here guys! Glue Bomb restores are a lot of fun. I have several glue bombs either in project stages or waiting to be built in the future. Some are really good, some are in bad condition. They all will be built eventually (or at least that's the plan).

Here are some that I've finished:

Monogram 1/32 scale '55 Chevy.

7_zpsnfjxl90b-vi.jpg

2_zpsgxwn8s4h-vi.jpg

'32 Ford Roadster. This was basically just the body that was pretty rough. Everything else was either scratchbuilt (like the frame, firewall, front axle, etc) or sourced  from my parts boxes.

32Roadster-vi.jpg

P2201961-vi.jpg

This Monogram '69 Camaro was one of the roughest glue bombs that I've had to work with. It doesn't look that bad in the picture, but the truth is, someone had stripped the paint from the body and other parts with some strong liquid. The plastic was very soft and fragile and missing some pieces here and there, and I also ended up having many cracks  on the body here and there during the build process. After all I was able to fix it though, but it was a lot of work.

PC120445-vi.jpg

PC061367-vi.jpg

Jo-Han '71 Plymouth Barracuda Pro Stock. This was missing some parts, but otherwise it was pretty easy rescue.

PB050140-vi.jpg

eaa1a8130e441588715b2aabb6ff74-vi.jpg

And here's one of the current glue bombs that I've been working on, a Revell '55 Chevy.

DSCN8448_zpshl22ppko-vi.jpg

P2087721-vi.jpg

On 1/24/2020 at 1:54 PM, Plowboy said:

For me, there's just something about resurrecting an old glue bomb! I was very apprehensive about buying this '62 F-100. It had the custom cab extender molded in,  glue burn spots where fins and skirts had been, thick paint, etc. I figured for sure that the rear glass detail was ruined. I was the only bidder and won it. I figured if nothing else, I could use it for parts or convert it to a small window flareside. Once stripped, I discovered that the original builder had used putty to mount the cab extender. No damage to the rear of the cab at all! As fate would have it, I won a '61 and another '62 weeks later. So, the decision to hack on this one was easy. Four years of on again off again work, I finally finished it! The only before photos are in Photobucket purgatory. 

47989316633_07c7abb617_b.jpg

This was another rough one. All I could salvage was the body, convertible top and door panels. The rest was glued so solid, there was no hope of getting it apart. I used a reissued Mount N Goat to bring it back to life along with a scratch built top. I do have a late before photo.

42950378410_ee4e1920f6_b.jpg

48133104376_bdf0a6fe65_b.jpg

This one didn't have a drop of glue or paint on it. But, it had what seemed like a thousand nicks, gouges, scratches and a chunk missing out of the right front fender.

48409049727_836d7bd02d_b.jpg

This one was a promo paint bomb! I combined it with a Revell T-Bolt. I fixed the crooked front bumper since this photo was taken. 

48948398718_2f693a8b22_b.jpg

This one was a fairly clean promo. Also combined with a Revell T-Bolt. It was built to be the exact opposite of the '61 Comet.

49210129577_ba3c5fa634_b.jpg

man you have some really cool stuff!!!!