Model Cars Magazine Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BaBaBooey

Big Red. Never knew about this.

Reminds me of the Chev Turbo Titan III.

Gas turbines were big in the 60s. If I recall, Ford, GM, and Chrysler were experimenting. And I think it was horrible economy that eventually killed off the turbines.

Interesting that gas turbines never really caught on for land-based use because they are heavily used in ships. Most non-nuclear powered warships built since the early 70's have them. The range of the ships seem to be comparable to their oil/coal-fired steamship predecessors. Gas turbines are also used as portable and fixed generators on land and sea. General Electric is still one of the major suppliers.

I was in the coast guard, and one of my ships had gas turbine propulsion, Pratt Whitney FT4As. 36,000 HP. We also had diesel propulsion which we used most of the time

That's so quaint!  Shame we couldn't hear it run.  Are any semis that tall?  Looks like a Prevost tourbus, but the driver sits much lower.  Reminds me of the GM Futureliner.

Here is a turbine-powered motorcycle, heard it start up.
7012534223_92689230ca_c.jpg

2 reasons the Turbine never caught on, the complexity cause them to be very expensive and the emissions output was too high and could not be reduced. Given time both issues could have been resolved, but the emissions restrictions just kept getting tighter and the costs were going through the roof. Piston engines worked and could be made to pass emissions with less cost. 

I love the idea of Turbine powered vehicle, but the dream never came to reality. 

As for this bike, OH HECK NO! I ride a bike, but would never get on this thing. 

On 1/20/2020 at 9:49 PM, 89AKurt said:

That's so quaint!  Shame we couldn't hear it run.  Are any semis that tall?  Looks like a Prevost tourbus, but the driver sits much lower.  Reminds me of the GM Futureliner.

Here is a turbine-powered motorcycle, heard it start up.
7012534223_92689230ca_c.jpg