Model Cars Magazine Forum

I got this Revell van partly started in a trade with one of our board members. It had decent paint on it but I wanted a brighter color. The circle side windows and small rear roof opening were cut open so I opened the sun roof area too. The tire/wheel combo is from an MRC Firestone/Crager set. The body walls are curved so when you fit test the chassis it will not stay where you want it, so I installed a few chassis stops on both sides cured that. 

20200112_082059.jpg

20200112_080952.jpg

20200112_080940.jpg

On 1/12/2020 at 8:55 AM, Tom Geiger said:

Good start! I glue chassis stops in many kits just for that reason. Makes for a sure fit and great glue points 

That's how I do resin body/ chassis mounting.

On 1/12/2020 at 9:23 AM, bismarck said:

Looking good Ken. I’m watching.??

Ya I figured you would be.....since its your stuff?

• 4 months later...

Ok...back to work on this van. I tried various ways to make the sun roof open and  close. Problem was getting it to pop up into its space when closed. Tried bent shims for the roof to ride on but after a few tries the shims got weak and failed. I used epoxy to mount interior roof rails for the roof and tried other shim materials but Im over it now....? So I will just have to live with it sliding open and almost close. Im moving on to get it done .

20200602_181347.jpg

20200602_180250.jpg

20200602_180218.jpg

20200602_175918.jpg

I also use this "chassis stop" technique for the floor pan on my builds and it works great.

This is a very cool build Ken and it bring back some very good memories when these van were immensely popular back in the early '80.  I can hear the Bee Gees singing Stayin' Alive!    Have you yet decided on the bright color you mentioned at the beginning of the thread?   Good job on the sun roof, this will be a very fun build to watch.

2 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

This is a very cool build Ken and it bring back some very good memories when these van were immensely popular back in the early '80.  

I believe the " van craze" started a decade earlier, the 70's, and this one is spot on for the era. Like the camper boom, the van boom also came to an end after the gas crisis in '79. The early 80's was a disaster for most Americans,  sounds like you had it better in Canada.

10 hours ago, leafsprings said:

The early 80's was a disaster for most Americans,  sounds like you had it better in Canada.

You're probably right Tommy, but most of my buddies were having big fun with their van until 1985 with long parades to the next camping or festival all around the province.  Everything come later here in Canada including cars new trends and hot weather...

I like how you did your sunroof. Most were done by van conversion companies and of course some owners. They were usually of the popup type of sunroof. I remember some good body men would get a roof off of a late model car that had a slider like yours and they would graft the major portion of the roof on top of the van. The wheel opening flairs look just like the ones I remember also. 

• 3 weeks later...

I got color on the body just need to polish and clear coat, also got the chassis/engine completed. I did not put alot into the engine area as once the van is all together there is really no way to see it. Light weathered the chassis area . Paint is metallic orange, interior will be white with maroon accents. The murals are from the Gofer Mural set. Also I tried  Model Master Chrome Enamel and it works really well.

IMG_20200619_052447496.jpg

IMG_20200619_053025308.jpg

IMG_20200619_053004669.jpg

IMG_20200619_052648962.jpg

IMG_20200619_052540953.jpg

On 6/19/2020 at 8:51 AM, BIGTRUCK said:

I did not put alot into the engine area as once the van is all together there is really no way to see it.

Agreed. I did same with my Dodge vans.. I think I even saved the manifold, carb and air cleaner for a future build since they were invisible from the bottom.

Van looks great! I have one of the last issue and should do something with it

Last update, this one just needs exterior details to complete like window trim and a little chrome work. I was on the fence on the mirrors, the chrome van mirrors or these sport mirrors. The original idea on the interior was to be maroon and white, but it didnt contrast , white wzs good bjt the darker maroon just didnt work for me.

20200624_193553.jpg

20200624_194257.jpg

20200624_194313.jpg

On 6/22/2020 at 4:18 PM, bismarck said:

That color makes it look like the one the Count from Counts Customs has. Love the color.  Bring one the white ceramic coated side pipes!! ?

I stopped in there last summer, didnt see anyone from the shkw tho`

20180909_105602-vi.jpg

20180909_105354-vi.jpg