Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 917-10 Can-am and transport

Gt fan

After moving and the long process of setting stuff up ,I’m back at it. This is the old Formula Canada kit. The transport is a AMT 72 GMC stepside. The transport will be curbside. The ramp was sourced off of EBay. The Porsche was full of pinholes which was expected in the older kit. It’s a basic curbside kit. Which I added to. The car will have the L&M sponsorship. Being from outside of Philly Donohue will be the driver. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Cool!  Funny that since I committed to building a '69 Chevy pickup, been seeing more projects this year.  ?  Great choice for the truck, that based on historic photos?  Appreciate your dedication to wiring, that's something you have to twist my arm to do, but really adds to a model.  Good to see you getting back into the hobby!

I saw a small black and white photo a friends dad had of the Penske shop outside of Philly. It’s about 20-30 minutes from where I live. It may not be historically correct but the truck kit was a kit a friend of mine had . For $20. It made sense. 

20 minutes ago, VanSpence said:

That wiring is out of this world. 

What are you using for the wires? It is so tiny. 

20 minutes ago, VanSpence said:

That wiring is out of this world. 

What are you using for the wires? It is so tiny. 

The scale fidelity is very good with these. Super thin .0075

image.jpg

13 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Tim, nice to see you back modeling. I have that Porsche kit so I will be following this  build. Like what you have done so far. And it was nice to meet you in person at Allentown. 

It was nice to meet you as well Rich. I’ll be back at there next show in February.  Do you have any of the other Formula Canada kits. 

10 hours ago, Gt fan said:

It was nice to meet you as well Rich. I’ll be back at there next show in February.  Do you have any of the other Formula Canada kits. 

Well.....as a matter of fact....I am currently working on the Shadow DN4 Can Am.  Should be done soon. I also have the Riley& Scott and the Ferrari 312PB and finished the Lola T600. 

23 hours ago, Gt fan said:

They were a bit rough. I used some needle files and some small sanding sticks and sanded each one. I’m happy with the way they came out.  I was just worried about breaking them

image.jpg

Thanks Tim....I was thinking of cutting them out and replacing them with sheet styrene.  Yours looks better than mine. 

After looking at a few more pictures of this car” that changed all the time” I noticed that there is a boost control next to the driver. With the kit being a pretty basic curbside one wasn’t present.  Time to build one. The bracket was made out of left over rally car parts the controller is a left over coil with the top sanded off. The fittings are #1 size crimp tubes . I also use these behind the dash. It gives the wires a finished look. The boost gauge was in the kit. 

2C8190A7-CEAA-4CCA-A533-1C25A15C69B8.jpeg

48FCDC66-58CF-44AD-9E2B-11B5B58B1D8E.jpeg

0714F1B3-193B-4657-A792-07D3DDE8F8B5.jpeg

D77E3EEC-99F9-4388-B0DF-C217E4091664.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Back home and back to building. I got the chassis straight and sured up. The cab is just about done. I have to add some lettering to the door. Most likely Penske Racing...Newtown Square, PA. The truck was built as a curbside to serve as a base for the car. The ramp hasn’t been painted yet. If anyone has a picture of a ramp and how the tie downs are to secure the car. I would appreciate the help. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

My favorite part of any build. Decaling....you can see the project start to come together. The kit decals were scrapped in favor of some Indycals printed decals. I ordered three sets just Incase something went wrong over all those louvres on the fenders.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

22 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Awesome job on the decals Tim. Nice to know extras are available from Indycals.  I can only imagine what a terror they were over those louvers. 

Thank you Rich...The decals went down very well. I was really surprised. Take a deep breath and get a sharp blade.. Indycals also has the RC cola decals as well, but I think there only in a smaller scale.