Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kitchen Table Resin

I contacted Ken yesterday about buying some parts and received this response:

Steve,

Sorry as of January 1st I've decided to shutdown Kitchen Table Resins. It was a hard decision but I hope the right one. 

Ken

Too bad, he had some nifty stuff that you can't get anywhere else.

On 1/13/2020 at 8:37 AM, mikemodeler said:

[...]

The old saying is true when it comes to resin- buy it when you see because it might not be there tomorrow.

Ain't that the truth!  My last score was the MFH Lusso, ordered and waited a couple months through Spot Model, then read they were discontinuing road Ferraris.  I've been waiting over a month for Ukranian resin Audi engine, finally got email that it's processing, so feeling lucky.

1 hour ago, racer X said:

Man,I was looking forward to getting his 51-52 Ford F 100 resin dash and grill to do a Sanford and Son replica and the resin 5.0 Coyote engine.Definitely sorry to hear about this and I wish him well too.

When I read your comment, pulled out the conversions I got awhile ago.  You're in luck, Ron Andrews does a resin conversion.

This is my point of view.  One thing I've learned over my 6 decades of building automotive models, is that if you want something that is available in resin, but it today when you see it, as tomorrow it may no longer be available.  Most resin producers aren't like Modelhaus that did it for several decades, and availability of their quality products was almost taken for granted......until they decided to retire.  Even if you're not sure that you are going to build a project with the resin, rather have it and not use it, then not being able to get it when you really want it later.  And if you later decide not to use the resin parts/conversions that you bought, you can always offer them for sale to your friends who do want them.

7 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Ain't that the truth!  My last score was the MFH Lusso, ordered and waited a couple months through Spot Model, then read they were discontinuing road Ferraris.  I've been waiting over a month for Ukranian resin Audi engine, finally got email that it's processing, so feeling lucky.

When I read your comment, pulled out the conversions I got awhile ago.  You're in luck, Ron Andrews does a resin conversion.

Do you have any contact info,email or a website address for Ron Andrews?

It's all well and good to say, "When you see it, buy it cause it may not be there tomorrow." However, with the prices of some of the resin offerings, if you're modeling on a shoestring budget it's not always possible to purchase it when you see it and it takes time to save up for a certain item. I was unable to buy ANYTHING from Holthaus for just this reason and now Ken's thrown in the towel. Let's hope new resin casters show up to replace the ones we are losing.

Steve Prange

12 hours ago, 1st 700 Quad said:

It's all well and good to say, "When you see it, buy it cause it may not be there tomorrow." However, with the prices of some of the resin offerings, if you're modeling on a shoestring budget it's not always possible to purchase it when you see it and it takes time to save up for a certain item. I was unable to buy ANYTHING from Holthaus for just this reason and now Ken's thrown in the towel. Let's hope new resin casters show up to replace the ones we are losing.

Steve Prange

The difficulty in resin casting is part of the reason for it's perceived higher cost. There was a time when buying resin was out of reach for me and I missed out on some stuff I really wanted. The advent of 3D printing has helped drive down the development costs of resin pieces and kits, so hopefully whatever you are looking for will become affordable.

I know many modelers were hoping someone would take over for Don and Carol but so far no one has done so. I know that I was fortunate enough to order some things as they were retiring, as did many others, and look at guys like Norm at RMCO and hope they hang around long enough for me to get another order in .

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 6:58 PM, maxwell48098 said:

This is my point of view.  One thing I've learned over my 6 decades of building automotive models, is that if you want something that is available in resin, but it today when you see it, as tomorrow it may no longer be available.  Most resin producers aren't like Modelhaus that did it for several decades, and availability of their quality products was almost taken for granted......until they decided to retire.  Even if you're not sure that you are going to build a project with the resin, rather have it and not use it, then not being able to get it when you really want it later.  And if you later decide not to use the resin parts/conversions that you bought, you can always offer them for sale to your friends who do want them.

Yep you got it I have been building for 57 years in the past 20 if I saw something in resin I not only got it at the time I saw it I got 2 or 3 more for down the road the year be for Modelhause closed it's doors I stocked up on parts and dog dish caps of all kinds.!! Buy em when you see em.!!

3 hours ago, rickcaps55 said:

Yep you got it I have been building for 57 years in the past 20 if I saw something in resin I not only got it at the time I saw it I got 2 or 3 more for down the road the year be for Modelhause closed it's doors I stocked up on parts and dog dish caps of all kinds.!! Buy em when you see em.!!

Yep..........as us "gray hairs" get ever grayer, as they say "Nothing is Forever". I can think of a couple other resin casters that are big in the biz that perhaps may be winding down in the next number of years. I have no inside info, but lets face it, once folks hit their 70's and the health isn't what it used to be, this biz can take its toll. Especially when what you have of said item is a hot property.