Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Desoto

Ramfins59

Here's a Modelhaus '57 Desoto kit that I'm very close to finishing, after much paint grief...  I started this about a year ago but had to strip the paint twice due to my own errors in masking things properly for the 2 tone paint job.  I finally got it done right and completed all the BMF work 2 days ago... what a job...!!!  Today I trimmed and installed the Modelhaus glass and am waiting for the glue to completely dry before I do the final assemblies.

The interior and chassis have been done for months, just waiting for the completed body.  

Have a look......

HPIM5403.JPG

HPIM5404.JPG

HPIM5405.JPG

HPIM5406.JPG

HPIM5407.JPG

HPIM5408.JPG

1 minute ago, 72 Charger said:

Top work Richard looks great . I had a 59 Mercury from them it must of been one of the last body's they cast. I still have to strip the paint off that after I messed up the paint. What do you use to strip resin?

Thanks a lot for the kind comment Dave.  I've been using Purple Power to strip the paint from resin.  I think I'll have to get a new batch as it took awhile, and 2 tries plus some scraping with a wooden toothpick to get all of the old paint off.

I think it's one that I would have bought if I would have had any sense!!

Looks terrific!!

I do have to ask Richard......did you test fit the interior to the body with the glass in?

It appears from the photos that you might have some fit issues between the mirror and the glass.

Or it at least looks like it could be a very tight fit.

I never realized that the mirror was located so far forward on these cars.

Most Mopars from this period had them mounted closer to the front edge of the dash.

Steve

25 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I think it's one that I would have bought if I would have had any sense!!

Looks terrific!!

I do have to ask Richard......did you test fit the interior to the body with the glass in?

It appears from the photos that you might have some fit issues between the mirror and the glass.

Or it at least looks like it could be a very tight fit.

I never realized that the mirror was located so far forward on these cars.

Most Mopars from this period had them mounted closer to the front edge of the dash.

Steve

No Steve, I haven't tried test fitting the interior into the body yet... I only glued the windows in place late this afternoon and wanted to wait for the glue to dry so I wouldn't "mess up" the fit of the windows.  Worst case scenario, I'll have to move the dash-mounted mirror back towards the seats if necessary.  I won't be able to check this out until later tomorrow...... I have to have a "consultation" in the early AM with a surgeon regarding a proposed bypass operation...  Happy, happy, joy, joy...  Thanks for the kind words.

2 hours ago, Ramfins59 said:

No Steve, I haven't tried test fitting the interior into the body yet... I only glued the windows in place late this afternoon and wanted to wait for the glue to dry so I wouldn't "mess up" the fit of the windows.  Worst case scenario, I'll have to move the dash-mounted mirror back towards the seats if necessary.  I won't be able to check this out until later tomorrow...... I have to have a "consultation" in the early AM with a surgeon regarding a proposed bypass operation...  Happy, happy, joy, joy...  Thanks for the kind words.

Just thought that it was worth mentioning Richard.

This is one of those things that I have become cognoscente of since I messed one up myself some time back.

Sometimes it's not immediately evident just how much of a rake the windshield has.

It appears that the mirror stem was mounted at a fairly sharp angle backward from the transition trim piece between the dash and glass.

image.png.da1e41d2caccc1c1947f653c84bf0bf8.png

image.png.d3572e1880ac8f177391ee424bd44abc.png

By the way, I wish you luck with your appointment tomorrow!

Important things first!

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Thanks for all of your kind comments guys...   BTW... my "consultation" went well today, including more tests and blood work.  I still have to go for an Echocardiogram and a CT scan, after which a date will be set for the surgery... probably some time in February...YEAY..!!!

6 hours ago, Ramfins59 said:

Thanks for all of your kind comments guys...   BTW... my "consultation" went well today, including more tests and blood work.  I still have to go for an Echocardiogram and a CT scan, after which a date will be set for the surgery... probably some time in February...YEAY..!!!

Best to you my friend!  Hope things are done and over with by April.  Always look forward to seeing you!

On 1/14/2020 at 12:46 PM, Ramfins59 said:

Really sweet looking Desoto build you have going Rich!  I will keep you in my prayer Rich...