Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya R35 Skyline

lghtngyello03

Since I finished my Pennzoil R34 Skyline I’ve been itching to start on this kit. This is a Tamiya R35 Skyline.  I have searched a lot to find something that I could use for some inspiration on the build, and I found exactly what I’d want if I could have a 1:1 in my garage.

Paint is going to be Splash Paints OEM Katsura Orange, with bronze Volk Te37 wheels. I ordered some 19” wheels but these are too small for the kit so I have some 20” Hobby Design wheels on the way from Japan .

I started out by sanding all the mold lines off and scribing some panel lines. The mold lines aren’t bad but are definitely evident. Also the panel lines like all Tamiya kits, are defined and crisp, but my opinion they are never deep enough. With multiple layers of 2k clear they could be lost. This can be seen on the drivers side lines that haven’t been scribed compared to the panel lines on the passenger side which I did scribe. 

E7C42C21-53DB-466A-8C70-623A49650BE7.jpeg

4728DF05-582A-4AD0-8F2C-5D1307DF254C.jpeg

7C8A3C0B-9BE7-40EE-BB7F-B0D9BCFEAE58.jpeg

FCD51555-4EC8-443A-A6C8-3775AC4C1013.jpeg

49F6D0D1-5CFA-4C30-9263-FAA2594BC678.jpeg

A5B3430D-3424-4006-AFEE-D04C0C0B8D93.jpeg

D2B0A4E3-85BD-464B-9FF9-56B2CA13FB5A.jpeg

0DFDE68E-2F03-40C4-A710-527793E74C8C.jpeg

CC2F063E-CE0D-4E12-B7B2-5DC18A67E551.jpeg

59A16F19-EB96-4A72-98F3-B55C1F63A424.jpeg

C15C2660-4484-444B-8214-F80C6608D63A.jpeg

Edited by lghtngyello03

8 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

Nice project. Love the TE37's. I just got a set in the mail today to use on my 2020 Supra. How do they fit in the GTR kit tires?

Watching for updates. And I love that orange.

Thank you David. I do not actually have the Hobby Design 20" Te37s yet. I originally ordered the Aoshima wheels, but they are too small in proportion to the kit, so I ordered the Hobby Design 20" wheels.  They should be here by the beginning of February unfortunately. Have you tried fitting your wheels in the kit tires yet? Please let me know how they fit.  I am kind of nervous that they won't fit well, and I really like the GTR's kit tires.

I wouldn't mind doing this, but have to hold myself back from everything that is desirable, especially modern cars.  Great choice of details, love those money pits.  Pulling up a chair to cheer you on!

Someone in my town owns this one, among other nice cars.
4002929564_917db64b33_c.jpg

7 hours ago, lghtngyello03 said:

Thank you David. I do not actually have the Hobby Design 20" Te37s yet. I originally ordered the Aoshima wheels, but they are too small in proportion to the kit, so I ordered the Hobby Design 20" wheels.  They should be here by the beginning of February unfortunately. Have you tried fitting your wheels in the kit tires yet? Please let me know how they fit.  I am kind of nervous that they won't fit well, and I really like the GTR's kit tires.

I have a set if you need measurements? measurements would be in mm though cos I aint very good at the old fashioned type

34 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

I wouldn't mind doing this, but have to hold myself back from everything that is desirable, especially modern cars.  Great choice of details, love those money pits.  Pulling up a chair to cheer you on!

Someone in my town owns this one, among other nice cars.
4002929564_917db64b33_c.jpg

Thank you!! I’d love to have one...can’t bring myself to sellmy Evo to take on one of these though.   I wouldn’t turn one down though ?

Edited by lghtngyello03

Everything done tonight doesn’t look like much, but was really time consuming. All panel lines are scribed and the front bumper is glued on. 

You can see what a difference scribing the hood vents made. The one on the passenger side is scribed and the driver side is not. These would have vanished when clear coat was laid down more than likely. 

This is all I had time for today, but I hope I can get some stuff primed tomorrow. 

8BEA16EE-C518-4BEC-90F5-4843D282ABF0.jpeg

1DA9044D-647D-47E3-91C8-CF1CA50AA58F.jpeg

2CEF491E-7EAD-433D-A3FE-75495A40C0CE.jpeg

C33B6E65-ACC4-4326-9CA0-AA1F8C1B6CE2.jpeg

0A6930AB-A3C1-4B27-AFA3-4F9B1C3146A1.jpeg

CD95EB1D-C29B-4EAA-A526-0D9AFA6895FD.jpeg

Edited by lghtngyello03

14 hours ago, lghtngyello03 said:

Scott. I just mounted the T37s to the Supra tires today and the fit is a bit tight but doable if you press them in slowly and carefully on the lip and not by the center insert (2 piece wheels). They are female fitment tho (Aoshima/Fujimi) so I took the chrome wheels from the Supra kit, cut the center hub down so I had the male pin left then sanded the top face flat. Then on the HD centers I sawed off the female end (theres a lip at the base of the female pin and you can cut it flush to that lip) then sanded that flat then glued the male Tamiya pin to the back of the HD wheel center then glued that to the outer ring. The HD wheels fit the Supra perfect now ( I'll take some pics when I get home from work in the am). The HD wheels actually stretch the Supra tires a bit giving them a bigger appearance and filling up the wheel wells completely making the car look a squatter than stock. Pretty happy with them all in all.

I'll see if I can find a set of the GTR tires when I get home in the morning and see how they TE37s fit them. They should as I think the GTR's tires are a bit bigger than the Supras.

9 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

Scott. I just mounted the T37s to the Supra tires today and the fit is a bit tight but doable if you press them in slowly and carefully on the lip and not by the center insert (2 piece wheels). They are female fitment tho (Aoshima/Fujimi) so I took the chrome wheels from the Supra kit, cut the center hub down so I had the male pin left then sanded the top face flat. Then on the HD centers I sawed off the female end (theres a lip at the base of the female pin and you can cut it flush to that lip) then sanded that flat then glued the male Tamiya pin to the back of the HD wheel center then glued that to the outer ring. The HD wheels fit the Supra perfect now ( I'll take some pics when I get home from work in the am). The HD wheels actually stretch the Supra tires a bit giving them a bigger appearance and filling up the wheel wells completely making the car look a squatter than stock. Pretty happy with them all in all.

I'll see if I can find a set of the GTR tires when I get home in the morning and see how they TE37s fit them. They should as I think the GTR's tires are a bit bigger than the Supras.

Nice, Thanks David! I’ve never came across a Tamiya kit with female hubs before but this R35 kit does have them. The ID of the kit wheel is 3.85mm and the OD is 6mm   They are 2 piece too. 

I've made Aoshima wheels, and Hobby Design wheels work on several Tamiya kits.  I really think they should make them a little more universal myself. I usually take my dremel and grind off the female section of the Aoshima wheel. Then, I  take a piece of correct diameter & length styrene rod, and epoxy it on. This way, I can keep the kit wheels to possibly use on another project if I want to swap some wheels around.  Come to think of it, I have a perfect wheel setup for a 90s Toyota pickup lowrider, lol. I have built a MK4 Supra and put CCW Classics on it, but kept the stock Supra wheels....these would look killer on the Toyota Pickup.

06C16DBE-1B17-420A-8B2C-4C3AB36CB388.jpeg

Edited by lghtngyello03

9 minutes ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Scott...really like your choice of colour for this project. Never used Spash paints before. Do you need primer underneath or can you use them straight up like Tamiya.  I did this kit many moons ago. It is a cool kit and fits well. 

Thank you Rich.  I am unsure of no primer underneath.  The last project I used already had a basecoat of Zero Paints Pearl Yellow, and I laid down some Splash Paints Black over it.  I will be using primer on this build though, as I always do now a day.