Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya R35 Skyline

lghtngyello03

14 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

Sorry for my rambling earlier, I just am getting excited about jumping into the airbrushing aspect of this hobby!  I really, really appreciate your answering my questions.  And again, can't wait to see your next update and am looking forward to seeing that body under paint.  That color is gorgeous!

No problem John, always pleased to help.

I didn’t get as much done as I wanted to today. I got the panel line accents on the undertrays, the  aluminum suspension components painted, and the calipers sprayed in the body color, decals applied and clear coated. The clear is only Acrylic and it looks amazing. I can’t wait to see what the body will actually look like with 2k clear.  I’m letting the clear on the brakes bake in the dehydrator for the night. 

Hopefully tomorrow I can get the rotor hats painted and then the PhotoEtch parts applied on the faces, and apply the wash to it all to make it pop.

3516F83E-E7CA-4B42-942C-C3406569E31F.jpeg

1C18C306-19DF-4E1F-8F74-6776EFE55A9A.jpeg

Alright, the Hobby Design 20” TE37s came today. Super pleased with how well these are cast and how little work will need to be done. This had to be the first Tamiya kit that I’ve seen with a fitting on the wheels like this, so the Hobby Design wheels fit no problem, just shorten the stud some. 

I got the brakes all detailed up and stuck one behind a wheel, it’s gonna look sick once these are bronze. 

I also got the paint laid down on the body and mirrors. The hood crazed the primer on the 2nd pass for some reason. The body was already finished up and the hood went straight to a mess. So it’s in the brake fluid bath currently and I’ll do it over. Can’t wait to get the bottom half sprayed in Gunmetal and the carbon decals on. Then it’ll be time for clear, and this thing will really pop!

E5AC31B6-8A4F-4F39-9290-A7037214027B.jpeg

2EBB86ED-5517-4951-A0CB-A55A2405CD61.jpeg

3AE61279-4A3E-4259-A7DF-9F02EF950AB3.jpeg

8DC9490C-38EB-4D35-967E-19C4B826550F.jpeg

6C694C82-3C0C-4406-91BD-DEC6E69F4107.jpeg

I got the suspension assembled and mounted on the chassis last night. Super excited to get the offsets setup on the wheels and finally see the stance on this beast. Here is just a mock up with the wheels.  This is also my first time using valve stems. I don’t know how I’ve overlooked such a simple detail. I’ll definitely have to use them on my builds from now on. 

5C252E38-56B5-4224-A320-FC1F1E8A8632.jpeg

2588A5C4-D414-4739-912C-9F0AE0EA16D6.jpeg

FE5B2FE1-B523-4F72-87BA-F3A4CD4C4F8B.jpeg

D7BB937C-2923-4A2D-9373-274D1919BC39.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Cool Hand said:

Like the stance, looks just right. The wheels fill the arches nicely.

Thanks Luke. I’m really impressed with these Hobby Design wheels. I’ve had a couple of HD wheels before but none worked with Tamiya kits. They had to be adapted, and although I made them work it was aggravating. I like the fact that this Tamiya kit had a Fujimi or Aoshima type wheel fitment so these wheels went on with no problem. 

20 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Looking really good!  Hobby Design has benefited from my disposable income. ?  Love their product.  I've done valve stems on many builds, that aren't Box Stock.

Lol. I  have used a good bit of other products that they offered. But this is my actual first set of wheels that weren't aggravating and had hardly any clean up on them to be done.

6 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

Simply BEAUTIFUL!!!....cant wait for the next update!!!

Thank you Dann.  I didn't get as much done yesterday as I wanted due to washing my truck and my wife's daily. Nice 57 degree winter day that I had to take advantage of, lol. I still have to fit and fix the opposite side wheels and they will be ready for paint.  I can't wait to lay down the color on these to see how they are going to look.  I also don't know if I am going to go with a Semi gloss or possibly leave them glossy.  I will have to do a couple of test spoons with semi gloss, gloss and dullcote to see what looks the best.

21 minutes ago, lghtngyello03 said:

Thank you Dann.  I didn't get as much done yesterday as I wanted due to washing my truck and my wife's daily. Nice 57 degree winter day that I had to take advantage of, lol. I still have to fit and fix the opposite side wheels and they will be ready for paint.  I can't wait to lay down the color on these to see how they are going to look.  I also don't know if I am going to go with a Semi gloss or possibly leave them glossy.  I will have to do a couple of test spoons with semi gloss, gloss and dullcote to see what looks the best.

Sounds great, Bud!!

I haven’t had too much time at the bench this week, between working and trying to get my truck and my wife’s daily cleaned up and being occupied by my dog. I did get the bottom of the body taped and sprayed in Gunmetal. I can never say it enough, I love Tamiya Tape. It never lets me down.  I still have to tape the front bumper up and spray it as well. I will try to get this done tomorrow evening after work. 

I also sprayed a couple of test spoons for the wheel color. The spoon on the back is sprayed over a white base, and the one up front is sprayed over a black base. I think I will use the darker bronze pictured up front.

FCC8C4CE-4BD5-40D5-BF80-1B4AC1A20563.jpeg

E806EE77-30C1-49BF-8001-A890934F0D47.jpeg

E350CAE0-E112-4289-9E77-782BB5CB2DC6.jpeg

638770C2-DB42-4E63-8495-0621073C8B40.jpeg

E6C7AD1B-9E99-4C55-8F89-D7FB92513F92.jpeg

1349E1B1-C9E4-4F02-9B8E-53A52998E1F4.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

Absolutely STUNNING!!!.....i agree with the darker wheels!!!

Thank you Dann. The darker definitely compliments the orange. Hopefully I can get them sprayed this even, well at least the base coat anyway.

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

Sweet colours, both wheel colour options look good to me

Thank you Leslie!