Model Cars Magazine Forum

38 minutes ago, Belugawrx said:

Engine is really looking nice Chris,... looks like you got everything to fit !

Thank you! It’s really funny, I am always wondering if something is going to let go when I get my fat fingers on this..

I am so pleased nothing has gone terribly wrong with it... 

I have been working on the rear wing holder/trans cooler/battery.

this is my second attempt at this, it comes in two half’s and the seams are terrible. I didn’t catch this until I had it painted and put together. So I stripped it down and put the two half’s together and filled in the seams. I had to modify the mounting tabs for the oil cooler and the frame that hold the battery. 
its not much to look at until the rear wing gets installed.

as always thanks for looking 

Chris

12E2E726-6E36-427D-8A97-75636DE2E750.jpeg

772619AB-A16D-4184-9CBB-0D7F66B44C5E.jpeg

73366EAC-ED5B-4079-BA40-F8438FE0D262.jpeg

I see that the Admin was a little busy!!

So I was a little busy Friday night and Saturday Afternoon. I was a able to get the engine attached to the tub, which to honest was a little nerve racking. After all the work that has been put into the two half’s I didn’t want to mess them up. After getting this milestone completed, I attached the gas tank and all the lines. Then I went onto attaching the radiators and most of the lines to various parts..

there is quite a few pictures.

Thank you for looking 

Chris

FDCB0754-6E83-4194-9DE8-4DBA9A197B75.jpeg

7E4938DA-7831-434A-94B9-D90CA0FF0B80.jpeg

A6C6B292-FCA1-460A-B6F5-A6D0E61AB4FD.jpeg

86BCDEB5-0CB1-4AEB-884A-1740843C823F.jpeg

55D8FDAB-5133-45D6-A214-FF9B1D3C4EB5.jpeg

03AD82F0-B2A6-434C-9175-80A276582F6F.jpeg

3EC201F6-BB9C-43E6-8D79-6CE894A6C8CB.jpeg

0BCE4E5B-7523-4FE1-B40F-3160C7C0C06E.jpeg

94FD1082-5BAA-4F9A-8F31-8832FE15CE2F.jpeg

44555B82-A3BB-4983-A357-922A14B96CFD.jpeg

The "sum of its parts" Chris.  Looking fantastic now that you've got the bits and pieces joined together.  Really makes all your hard work pay off.  Betcha' still can't get the grin off your face when you sit down to work on it now.   cheers, tim

1 hour ago, Codi said:

The "sum of its parts" Chris.  Looking fantastic now that you've got the bits and pieces joined together.  Really makes all your hard work pay off.  Betcha' still can't get the grin off your face when you sit down to work on it now.   cheers, tim

Thank you sir for the kind words, actually I’m focused on the rear wing and I’m kind of stressing over it 

• 2 weeks later...

That is one sharp build. I have built that model, but without all the photoetch. I had to make my steering shaft from brass, because it kept braking the plastic u-joints. 

I met a guy years ago, who owned the real car. Used to run it before the F1 races at Indianapolis from 2000 to 2005. I met Lauda too. The guy was quite the character. 

Can' wait to see this finished as it is one of my all time favorite F1 machines ever. Such an iconic car. 

On 4/29/2020 at 6:31 PM, Belugawrx said:

What are you trying on the wing.?

Well I have a few PE parts to install, and was trying to strip and re paint the chrome to look like polished aluminum.

It didn’t go as planned, I have re painted the wing 5 times and was never happy with the shade and shine, or lack of.

I tried alclad chrome, polished aluminum and even high shine aluminum. And Molotow twice because I touched it way too soon. And with all the handling and stripping and starting over the detail got sanded away. So I had to get another sprue on eBay. Putting a clear coat on this part has taken a lot of the shine away as I have decals to install. So I’m not trying much ?

I've had good results with the Alclad Aqua Gloss Clear over their chrome...

nBwQke2.jpg

These pics show medium shine on the real thing

Ferrari 312 Photograph - Ferrari 312 T2 F-1 Front Wing by Curt Johnson

Don't get caught up in the polished aluminum,...these guys polish it to a high shine because it's a show car...1975-Ferrari-312T-F1-Car-12.jpg

1 hour ago, Belugawrx said:

I've had good results with the Alclad Aqua Gloss Clear over their chrome...

nBwQke2.jpg

These pics show medium shine on the real thing

Ferrari 312 Photograph - Ferrari 312 T2 F-1 Front Wing by Curt Johnson

Don't get caught up in the polished aluminum,...these guys polish it to a high shine because it's a show car...1975-Ferrari-312T-F1-Car-12.jpg

I tried the aqua gloss, was not happy with the results, maybe it’s me ??‍♂️
I really appreciate you taking the time to post up and share as well

Chris

1 hour ago, Codi said:

Loving it Chris.  I have a 1/12th scale kit I'm willing to part with.  Just curious, what marques do you like to build and types of race cars?

Cheers, Tim

I like all kinds of race cars, I love the history of them and the company’s that build them.. I am a big fan of Ferrari, but I do have a lotus77 and a Mclaren m23.

I am eyeing a Ferrari 312pb from model factory hiro. 
I do wish other companies would make large scale race cars.

As a kid I loved doing drag racing models, one of my favorite ones was jungle Jim’s in 1/16 my parents got me for my birthday ! 
So Tim, what do have in mind sir?

I have decided a long time ago when I started this build, that I will not be attaching any body panels or wheels to this, I have a idea that I hope will work out.. Anyway I did get some color on the side pods today, I hope you like, nothing fancy but it is red?

22C38603-D696-4A1E-BF2A-20A3AED7178F.jpeg

C3318075-7C7E-406A-9E11-262A4401F0FE.jpeg

2 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

How do you like the Gravity colours Chris ?

Do you use it straight from the bottle..?

Keep this going, looking great !

I really like using this product, lays down really smooth and it’s ready to spray right from the bottle. I do recommend using gravity color from Europe not US. It has to do with how they run the company.