Model Cars Magazine Forum

9 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Outstanding work on this - really impressive!

For the shiny section of the front wing, how about some BMF (assuming you didn’t complete that already)?

I have not done the wings yet. And I have never attempted foil. I am curious if it can handle decals on that type of surface?

I’ve never tried decalling over BMF, but I don’t think you’d have any problems...I’d definitely test the technique first but that wing is relatively flat, it looks like, so it wouldn’t be hard to foil at all I wouldn’t think.

You could either use their regular chrome sheet, and clear over it if you wanted to dull it down a little or they do a matt aluminum finish foil too that can be polished to a brighter shine:

https://www.amazon.com/Bare-Metal-Foil-Sheet-Aluminum/dp/B00EMXXR6U

Of course, with your evident skills you don’t need my advice, I’m sure it’ll look great whatever you do!

I've been putzin around with car building for quite some time, and for some odd reason, thought I'd developed my skills somewhat.....then I see something like this!! Goodness gracious, what a true work of art ?

Here recently I've discovered the true quality kit makers and the vast array of high definition aftermarket supplies and parts and it has changed my perspective on car crafting! My current project is a Tamiya Lotus 79 1/20 scale that I'm almost ready to start preparing and paint on the body panels, but after seeing this, I almost wanna just start over!! Will I? Of course not, but I will say that this build is truly an inspiration to say the least.

Absolutely stunning work, and looking forward to your next undertaking!

7 hours ago, carmad1957 said:

I've been putzin around with car building for quite some time, and for some odd reason, thought I'd developed my skills somewhat.....then I see something like this!! Goodness gracious, what a true work of art ?

Here recently I've discovered the true quality kit makers and the vast array of high definition aftermarket supplies and parts and it has changed my perspective on car crafting! My current project is a Tamiya Lotus 79 1/20 scale that I'm almost ready to start preparing and paint on the body panels, but after seeing this, I almost wanna just start over!! Will I? Of course not, but I will say that this build is truly an inspiration to say the least.

Absolutely stunning work, and looking forward to your next undertaking!

Thank you for your kind words! I do appreciate it.

When I first stumbled onto this thread, I just assumed we were talking 1/20, 1/24 scale and I couldn't help but be absolutely amazed....along with depressed!

Very, very much of a relief to know it's a large scale, because actually, I didn't think something so clean could be accomplished at the much smaller scale that  I'm accustomed to! Just never could justify the prices of the bigger scale kits and aftermarket stuff, but now that I've seen this, thinking about goin' shoppin!  Might just get one underway soon! All things considered, still quite a masterful build Chris

• 3 months later...

So after 3 + months, I picked up where I left off, sorta... I did get extremely frustrated with the decals and wings. I enlisted some help from a great friend to get me through this. Thanks BRUCE TANAKA!! For the help?
I hope to get some more work done on this, but this is where I am at.

Thank you for looking 

Chris

5726AF8D-FEEE-4894-83DD-BD9E12BB3C40.jpeg

03353683-ED0E-4126-9361-FCCAC0457607.jpeg

27595614-0736-43D1-B91C-5758E6E6FBBC.jpeg

• 1 month later...

It’s been far too long since I last worked on this!

so as it sat in the corner wile I started another project I kept staring at it. So yesterday I put the Porsche to the side for a couple of days and got back at this. Honestly there isn’t much left to do to complete it, mostly motivation. Well I found some. 
Hope you like. And thank you for looking 

Chris.

099A587E-60EF-44CA-A94F-FC177A1F3F94.jpeg

1D9B87D9-6E15-41DD-943A-B0F00AE7BEBA.jpeg

A973234F-3501-47B2-A006-32B2EC2ADA52.jpeg

26011F53-8556-4EA8-99E1-8065CEF9D140.jpeg

F687DAB2-6087-426F-A90C-96952424BBCA.jpeg

8926969D-D10E-4025-97AB-D1367FAE2CF8.jpeg

80E156DD-8228-446E-ACBE-CC2C4EDA9A33.jpeg

98684C01-090E-4B35-A220-32E7C930755F.jpeg

F39C4C29-9E8C-4B59-B63E-52096E6F1F3E.jpeg

E61F381F-3620-4D43-9192-7FE6C72E5AC4.jpeg

A7784C54-C0FB-4D7C-B564-63EC1D2DBD50.jpeg

51 minutes ago, 935k3 said:

What did you paint the wings with?

To tell the truth.... I have tried Molotow, Alclad, Testors. And I had the worst luck with them for one reason or another. Each product works well for different applications, but for me not on the wings because of the handling need to put on the end plates and decals not to mention mounting them. 
So I used the stock chrome parts ? 

It might be the easy way but it’s not that bad , considering the frustration I endured

• 2 weeks later...