Model Cars Magazine Forum

What AMT C-600 for a car hauler ?

I am going to use the Pepsi C600 Box Truck with the long frame.  It seems to get closest, but still might need just a smidge of length in the wheelbase.  I held the side of the transporter body up to a builtup and it looks good.  That particular builtup is now in pieces, or I'd show you. Just may need  1/16" or so more clearance behind the cab..

Hopefully someone has some better insight.

I did a complete two-part build on a C-800/AMT Race Car Transporter (with an extra tow-behind trailer) in Model Cars mag circa 2014 or so.  Use the kit version with the Delivery box as Ralph mentioned above (the Stake and Tractor kits have short and shorter wheelbased, respecitvely)

It's not a 100%  unmodified parts swap special, but can be completed with some mild kitbashing.  In those articles there were also a few hints on avoiding longtime inherent assembly issues with the AMT C800, and adding the factory cab-back sleeper upgrade.  The current issue of Classic Truck Modeler magazine also has the assembly issues covered (using similar but not the same photography as in the Model Cars two-parter).  

If you can get a hold of the two Model Cars back issues, it would give you a good head start for the project....

Best Regards....TIM 

PS - here's a shot of the completed C800 chassis and cab before the transporter body install....

DSC 0489

On 1/15/2020 at 9:48 AM, Ralph Henderson said:

I am going to use the Pepsi C600 Box Truck with the long frame.  It seems to get closest, but still might need just a smidge of length in the wheelbase.  I held the side of the transporter body up to a builtup and it looks good.  That particular builtup is now in pieces, or I'd show you. Just may need  1/16" or so more clearance behind the cab..

Hopefully someone has some better insight.

Thanks Ralph. I will look for the box truck version.

Tim, what a fantastic article. Great reading and adding the trailer make it even better.

Ralph, huge thanks for sharing both parts.

I just need to find a C-600 now. Not being able to find instructions for the Box truck version, can it also be built as a flatbed or is the box floor not detailed enough ?

4 hours ago, 57peppershaker said:

Tim, what a fantastic article. Great reading and adding the trailer make it even better.

Ralph, huge thanks for sharing both parts.

I just need to find a C-600 now. Not being able to find instructions for the Box truck version, can it also be built as a flatbed or is the box floor not detailed enough ?

The box floor doesn't have much detail other than the ribs on the bottom side but you could use it as the base for a car hauler. Adding some strips of diamond plate where the the car would drive on it, some side skirts with storage bins, ramps for the back, and a rack on the front would get you there. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm just curious why they insists to call it C-600 all the time, the emblems on the cab doors reads C800 and the chassis and wheels are way too beefy for the more lightweight C-600.

Edited by Force

5 hours ago, Force said:

I'm just curious why they insist to call it C-600 all the time, the emblems on the cab doors reads C800 and the chassis and wheels are way too beefy for the more lightweight C-600.

... not to mention the kit's SuperDuty 534 cuibc inch V8, which was focused on the C-800 - C1000 series offerings....TB 

PS - kit's 534SD compared to an FE427 V8....both 1/25th scale....  

DSC 0201

On 8/7/2022 at 7:51 AM, tim boyd said:

... not to mention the kit's SuperDuty 534 cuibc inch V8, which was focused on the C-800 - C1000 series offerings....TB 

PS - kit's 534SD compared to an FE427 V8....both 1/25th scale....  

DSC 0201

Big boy motors!

For a C-800+ race car hauler, what does one do for the fuel tanks?  I can't find Tim Boyd's article anywhere.

10 hours ago, BadJuju said:

Big boy motors!

For a C-800+ race car hauler, what does one do for the fuel tanks?  I can't find Tim Boyd's article anywhere.

It ran in two consecutive issues of Model Cars Mag, sometime around 2014 IIRC. 

Here's an image of the chassis before the transporter body was added.  I don't recall making any changes to the fuel tank from the AMT kit configuration....

DSC 0486

Not sure if that helps, Garry, but wanted to respond to your note.  Best....TIM 

For example, see the 1st photo in this link:

It made me wonder if there's room for stock fuel tanks behind that compartment, and if so, how they're filled.

By the way, I think Tim's articles are in issues 188 & 189, and I haven't been able to locate any copies.