Model Cars Magazine Forum
57peppershaker

What AMT C-600 for a car hauler ?

I keep thinking about using the bed from a LN8000 on a C-600 to transform it into a race car hauler. I know there have been several versions of the C-600 but which version is the most suited to use ? In turn, the C-600 bed will end up on the LN8000

I am going to use the Pepsi C600 Box Truck with the long frame.  It seems to get closest, but still might need just a smidge of length in the wheelbase.  I held the side of the transporter body up to a builtup and it looks good.  That particular builtup is now in pieces, or I'd show you. Just may need  1/16" or so more clearance behind the cab..

Hopefully someone has some better insight.

I did a complete two-part build on a C-800/AMT Race Car Transporter (with an extra tow-behind trailer) in Model Cars mag circa 2014 or so.  Use the kit version with the Delivery box as Ralph mentioned above (the Stake and Tractor kits have short and shorter wheelbased, respecitvely)

It's not a 100%  unmodified parts swap special, but can be completed with some mild kitbashing.  In those articles there were also a few hints on avoiding longtime inherent assembly issues with the AMT C800, and adding the factory cab-back sleeper upgrade.  The current issue of Classic Truck Modeler magazine also has the assembly issues covered (using similar but not the same photography as in the Model Cars two-parter).  

If you can get a hold of the two Model Cars back issues, it would give you a good head start for the project....

Best Regards....TIM 

PS - here's a shot of the completed C800 chassis and cab before the transporter body install....

DSC 0489

On 1/15/2020 at 9:48 AM, Ralph Henderson said:

I am going to use the Pepsi C600 Box Truck with the long frame.  It seems to get closest, but still might need just a smidge of length in the wheelbase.  I held the side of the transporter body up to a builtup and it looks good.  That particular builtup is now in pieces, or I'd show you. Just may need  1/16" or so more clearance behind the cab..

Hopefully someone has some better insight.

Thanks Ralph. I will look for the box truck version.

On 1/18/2020 at 6:42 AM, 57peppershaker said:

Thanks Ralph. I will look for the box truck version.

check your pm's..

Tim, what a fantastic article. Great reading and adding the trailer make it even better.

Ralph, huge thanks for sharing both parts.

I just need to find a C-600 now. Not being able to find instructions for the Box truck version, can it also be built as a flatbed or is the box floor not detailed enough ?

4 hours ago, 57peppershaker said:

Tim, what a fantastic article. Great reading and adding the trailer make it even better.

Ralph, huge thanks for sharing both parts.

I just need to find a C-600 now. Not being able to find instructions for the Box truck version, can it also be built as a flatbed or is the box floor not detailed enough ?

The box floor doesn't have much detail other than the ribs on the bottom side but you could use it as the base for a car hauler. Adding some strips of diamond plate where the the car would drive on it, some side skirts with storage bins, ramps for the back, and a rack on the front would get you there.