Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Master Paints and MegaHobby

Hello Fellow Modelers!

I went on MegaHobby yesterday to buy another round of paints that I needed.  They usually carry everything I need and then some.  Well yesterday I noticed that in the Model Master Car and Truck 1/2 oz bottles, there were colors that were out of stock and I noticed that some weren't even listed.  I noticed the same in Model Master Metalizers 1/2 oz bottles and in the Military FS Series as well.  I was looking for Blue Angel Yellow.

Anyway, I sent MegaHobby an email asking if and when they were planning to stock up and they said the Testors was discontinuing some of these and that they wouldn't be restocking them.  They did go on and say that Testors would be re-releasing these in some new way?

After a mild panic I wanted to come on here to see if any of you had any inside information on this.  I have plenty of cars that I am dying to work on and Model Master Paints are my go to paints.

If you have any thoughts or have heard the same or have any news on this, please chime in, I would love to hear.

Thanks!

Steve

This is the first I've heard of MM and the car line thinning out ( enamels I mean). But my local hobby store told me back in Sept or so the military line was going, when the rack was empty that would be it. Acrylics were staying as is. Over in Fine Scale Modeler forums the military builders have been aware of this and some have already transitioned over to Humbrol enamels. Humbrol they say, seems to be increasing the enamel line.

Best I can tell you.

Dang.... glad I've got literally thousands of jars of both the auto and FS lines.

If you guys ever need a color or two, don't be afraid to ask. If I have it, its yours!

Leave it to Testors (rustoleum) to cut back on good product (enamels) but reassure the garbage (Acryl line) is still gonna be there.

Serious bummer!!

Then again, this type thing has happened quite a few times already. But I think the mainstream swap to acrylics in the armor end of things could be the main culprit here... a real shame as I and many others love these paints.

Ya LL3, it's tough to beat MM enamels for a straight up no fuss finish. Some of the guys over in FSM  are really liking the Humbrol enamels now that they switched. I haven't tried Humbrol in decades so can't comment personally. It's good you got a stash of MM though, congrats on that lol !!

I remember Pactra and Floquil going, it seems like anything you really like gets screwed over. But two years ago I started a campaign for myself experimenting with acrylics and I've got them shooting pretty decent now, even craft paints. They usually need clear coating except for Tamiya gloss though. If you want an old classic car finish, they generally weren't clear coated. MM enamel to me is the closest to the Pactra line I used to use on those old stock classics era cars....  Have to wait and see how the automotive MM line shakes out. But at least I know I can get a pretty decent finish from acrylics if need be. It's taken me this long to really get them going down nice out of my Badger 200 and Paasche H. Not so much a fan with double action fwiw ( maybe it's just me).

2 hours ago, Dave G. said:

Ya LL3, it's tough to beat MM enamels for a straight up no fuss finish. Some of the guys over in FSM  are really liking the Humbrol enamels now that they switched. I haven't tried Humbrol in decades so can't comment personally. It's good you got a stash of MM though, congrats on that lol !!

I remember Pactra and Floquil going, it seems like anything you really like gets screwed over. But two years ago I started a campaign for myself experimenting with acrylics and I've got them shooting pretty decent now, even craft paints. They usually need clear coating except for Tamiya gloss though. If you want an old classic car finish, they generally weren't clear coated. MM enamel to me is the closest to the Pactra line I used to use on those old stock classics era cars....  Have to wait and see how the automotive MM line shakes out. But at least I know I can get a pretty decent finish from acrylics if need be. It's taken me this long to really get them going down nice out of my Badger 200 and Paasche H. Not so much a fan with double action fwiw ( maybe it's just me).

Neither have I.  There were a couple of shops that carried a large selection back about 20 years and it dried up.  I switched to MM and have been reasonably satisfied.  Likely I'll look to Humbrol again.

5 hours ago, Brutalform said:

I don’t know how true it is, but I heard MM Metalizers are going to be discontinued. Maybe they are phasing out now? Not 100% sure though, I hear lots of things. 

They probably aren't much of a volume mover in the eyes of corporate Rustoleum. Especially with the hobby having other viable options these days. I still use a couple of them, in particular Aluminum Plate, it just goes down nice and thin and covers and is buffable. I like that.

3 hours ago, Dave G. said:

They probably aren't much of a volume mover in the eyes of corporate Rustoleum. Especially with the hobby having other viable options these days. I still use a couple of them, in particular Aluminum Plate, it just goes down nice and thin and covers and is buffable. I like that.

I use them all, but use the aluminum plate, and magnesium the most. I brush them on when needed as I don’t have an airbrush. I recently ordered a jar of aluminum plate from my LHS, and it did take about two weeks to arrive, and he said HE heard it might be be discontinued because of the long wait, but it did arrive. I also read somewhere as well. 

My LHS made no mention of the Metalizers going, when I kind of assumed they might go too I alluded to that. He basically shook his head no. But that was back around Sept and I notice that he is out of many flavors of them. Sooo, I don't know. I mostly airbrush them but have brushed them too and thought they went on fine. I like that aluminum plate for intakes, auto trans, even used it on an old Mercer for some parts that were aluminum on those.

If these go I'm tossed between Extreme Metal, I believe by AK or trying a couple of the Vallejo metals that are supposed to be quite good considering they are acrylic. It's just for me a no brainer at this point to put on the MM though. So I will learn something new I reckon if indeed these are going away.

6 minutes ago, Rodent said:

I haven't been able to reliably get Metalizers from my LHS for quite a while. I like aluminum plate, magnesium, and stainless steel. 

And the gun metal is nice too. The only one I hardly ever use is brass. Unless of course I’m adding it to an old radiator top. 

A great acrylic version of Gunmetal is Citadel Games "Leadbelcher."  It thins with water, goes on smooth and dries quickly. Besides, I just like the name.

I also use Alclad and MMMetalizer Gunmetal shades. But have been experimenting more with acrylics.  Except for Testors Acryl in the small bottles. I hate that stuff and have never been able to make it behave.  

Hi All,

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts on this as well.  And Hi LL3, I might be taking you up on your offer as I do need one more Blue Angels Yellow enamel to finish the, well, Blue Angel F18 I was working on.

I did go back to MegaHobby and poked around on their site again.  If you look at the Model Masters Metalizers Paint Category I noticed a box set that might not have been there before.  It's called Fantasy War Figure Metalizer Paint Set.  From the description:

Includes 5 1/2oz Metallizer Lacquer Paints plus 1 1/2oz thinner. Colors Included: Brass, Aluminum, Steel, Gunmetal, Burnt Iron

I use Magnesium and Titanium quite a bit as well.  But sounds like something will be available.

But I will still need to figure out what to do about the Model Master Car and Truck 1/2oz enamels.

All the feedback here has been quite interesting for sure!

51 minutes ago, ssroczyn said:

Hi All,

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts on this as well.  And Hi LL3, I might be taking you up on your offer as I do need one more Blue Angels Yellow enamel to finish the, well, Blue Angel F18 I was working on.

I did go back to MegaHobby and poked around on their site again.  If you look at the Model Masters Metalizers Paint Category I noticed a box set that might not have been there before.  It's called Fantasy War Figure Metalizer Paint Set.  From the description:

Includes 5 1/2oz Metallizer Lacquer Paints plus 1 1/2oz thinner. Colors Included: Brass, Aluminum, Steel, Gunmetal, Burnt Iron

I use Magnesium and Titanium quite a bit as well.  But sounds like something will be available.

But I will still need to figure out what to do about the Model Master Car and Truck 1/2oz enamels.

All the feedback here has been quite interesting for sure!

Just in kind of perusing about online it seems some ebay sellers have the MM blue angel yellow, maybe they have some other colors you want too and can stock up..... fwiw. Also the regular Testors enamels spray pretty much the same as MM enamel. I already mentioned Humbrol. Then if push comes to shove for car finishes you could get a hold of Scalefinishes and he will eventually mix any automotive color you desire in either lacquer or enamel.

Edited by Dave G.

22 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

ScaleHobbyist has the entire Metalizer line in stock.

I was at the LHS last night and they were restocked with the Metalizer bottles. I wish they would get more of the rattle cans though. I really don't want to drag out my airbrush to paint an alternator or an exhaust system. I know that Metalizer can be brushed (I have done it) but it just looks better sprayed. I have bought Tamiya paint from ScaleHobbyist before. They had a good price and great service.

Hah, I just called the LHS and he actually has Metalizer stainless steel in stock. I'll buzz down there for that and see what else came in if anything.

Edit: I decided to wait and put an order in elsewhere for a few different Metalizers and ship them all at once, the LHS went up to $5.29 a bottle . But I did buy a 2mm Molotow pen which was priced competitively and I can use on my 49 Ford build basically today. The stainless Metalizer was just a restock item. You never know in that store, some things are priced well and others well over suggested retail.

Edited by Dave G.

I just went to the only hobby store I have (which is in a different county) this past thursday and they had the metalizers...  I stocked up at $3.99 per jar.

On 1/17/2020 at 10:12 AM, ssroczyn said:

Hi All,

If it's in my stash, I'd be happy to oblige. It may take me a day or two to rummage through my crates though... I have them semi organized but it's tough with so many.

On 1/15/2020 at 10:00 AM, Dave G. said:

I've got an absolute TON of pactra in spray cans including the lacquers for Lexan... but very few in jars.

I've tried alot of stuff, but both Tamiya and Humbrol are not readily available locally and ordering that stuff is expensive.

I tried craft paints and can get them to spray good but never found a decent clear coat for them, future just doesn't do it for me. I use them alot for other stuff though like figures, armor, terrain...

This is my first ever tank model done completely with craft acrylics... all brush painted.

20161109_121333.thumb.jpg.dbdca598afbe16d68b33b097d75680b5.jpg

When I was a kid I used alot of automotive paints as I practically lived in a body shop... but that's way too easy, and can come off very unrealistic in scale at times... candied apples.

These days I like duplicolors lacquers and model master enamels without clear and just buffed and polished out. Looks more realistic to my eyes and less like a toy.

8 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

I just went to the only hobby store I have (which is in a different county) this past thursday and they had the metalizers...  I stocked up at $3.99 per jar.

If it's in my stash, I'd be happy to oblige. It may take me a day or two to rummage through my crates though... I have them semi organized but it's tough with so many.

I've got an absolute TON of pactra in spray cans including the lacquers for Lexan... but very few in jars.

I've tried alot of stuff, but both Tamiya and Humbrol are not readily available locally and ordering that stuff is expensive.

I tried craft paints and can get them to spray good but never found a decent clear coat for them, future just doesn't do it for me. I use them alot for other stuff though like figures, armor, terrain...

This is my first ever tank model done completely with craft acrylics... all brush painted.

20161109_121333.thumb.jpg.dbdca598afbe16d68b33b097d75680b5.jpg

When I was a kid I used alot of automotive paints as I practically lived in a body shop... but that's way too easy, and can come off very unrealistic in scale at times... candied apples.

These days I like duplicolors lacquers and model master enamels without clear and just buffed and polished out. Looks more realistic to my eyes and less like a toy.

Nice job on that tank, especially for a first effort and with craft paints !! Looks great !