Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford '70 Quarter Horse Mustang

Was getting ready to start a conversion to build a '70 Ford Mustang Quarter Horse and was curious if anyone else has attempted this?   I know I need the dash from a Mercury Cougar and the front clip from the '70 Shelby GT500 and the back end from the '70 Boss or Mach 1 kits.   Probably going to use the Monogram kits since they are pretty common.    I'm not sure if I should take the front clip and graft it to the Boss body or the rear tail piece from the Boss and graft it to the back end of the GT500.   Linky to what I'm trying to create.   https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2011/06/29/the-quarter-horse-fords-stillborn-bitsa-mustang/

Because of the scale differences it's probably much easier to section the rear clip of the Boss and graft it to the GT500 body than it would be to widen the front clip of the GT500 (including grille and hood) and graft that to the Boss body. 

Edited by Mr. Muppet

You could use the older issue of the Revell '69 Mustang as well.  I would leave the cowl in-place (so the '69 windshield would fit properly) and just graft on the Shelby front fenders/grille/hood.

Edited by afx

I would swap the tail panels between the '70 Boss and '69 Shelby. Cut right along the quarter panel cap lines and across the trunk. Any scale difference could easily be worked out. IIRC, the quarter panel vents on the Shelby are separate pieces and could be left off.

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

I would swap the tail panels between the '70 Boss and '69 Shelby. Cut right along the quarter panel cap lines and across the trunk. Any scale difference could easily be worked out. IIRC, the quarter panel vents on the Shelby are separate pieces and could be left off.

I did exactly this tonight.   Using a panel line scriber and some dymo tape on trunk lid I was able to get clean cuts and the tail panel fit cleanly against the GT500 body.   I'll use the rear bumper from the GT500.  The tail lights I'll separate from the 70 Boss 9 and section the rear panel so it fits back area.   They are going to be slightly oversized but I'm hoping they aren't too noticeable.   I also started filling in the hood scoops on the GT500 hood.   This part will take some time!   I'll try and get some photos of what I'm doing and post over to the On the Workbench.

Edited by drifterdon

6 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Now who would try something as crazy as this.  Oh, I would too.  Here's one  I started a long time ago.

IMG_6647.JPG

IMG_6648.JPG

That's the same one I'm trying to do Rex.   You have a great start on it.  You should finish it off.   From what I've read this one had the Boss 429 engine.   I'm guessing it also had battery in trunk like the other Boss 9's...

Edited by drifterdon