Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1963 Impala - Advanced Custom Version

Impalow

The craziness continues ! 

Great idea using corvair engines , I have an unbuilt one somewhere if you need any spares ?

Chassis looks, well, original ! !  Great design it looks like part of the same kit !

Looking forward to more,  (and I've missed your 1:1 project, more pics please! )

Insane!! I love this thing. It has a "Gene Winfield's Pacifica meets Syd Mead" thing going on. Can't wait to see more!!

Part of the reason I love it is...I have a chopped-up GTX sitting in a box that was going to get a very similar treatment. I got as far as cutting the body up and creating a rough concept sketch, but then lost interest due to the very piecemeal styling resulting from the mis-matched parts I'd planned to use. Might get back to it later with some styling changes:

XGTX_2_Sept102018small-vi.jpg

2 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

Very creative "monocoque" construction!

What exactly is your plotter and structural material? Just curious...

CT

Thank you!

I've been using a Silhouette Cameo - Portrait scrapbook cutter... It is their smaller model, which cuts around 8.5" x 11" sheet material, it takes up less room in my workshop that the giant one.

The material I use is just .020 and .010 styrene sheet... It deeply scores the .020 and it has to traced with an Xacto, or snapped out, the .010 it cuts clean through. 

I tend to do the large blocky pieces out of .020 and then use .010 for the more detailed cuts.  For example the lower main chassis plate on this is .020 and all of the detail is .010 layered on top.

Its a fun way to make parts, not the most detailed cuts... but for roughing things out, and making multiple objects its a major help.

54 minutes ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

The craziness continues ! 

Great idea using corvair engines , I have an unbuilt one somewhere if you need any spares ?

Chassis looks, well, original ! !  Great design it looks like part of the same kit !

Looking forward to more,  (and I've missed your 1:1 project, more pics please! )

Thanks Martin!!   I should be good on Corviar parts, just need to figure out how to get power to the Tandem rear wheels now... I think its going to a mess of 60's hotrod parts.... hahaha

The 1:1 is a full rotisserie LS swapped Datsun 240Z build...  its a pretty radical one, and should hopefully be done by spring. (fingers crossed)   Here is how it looked in the fall when i drove it to a local cars and coffee.. haha

71465804_10157084121013692_7850129241222938624_o.jpg.bb99484051bc2d429d6856d52fb67281.jpgIMG_0727.thumb.JPG.e29e0976ceace73987b178e9d0919c63.JPGIMG_0731.thumb.JPG.a074e3046e089af12813d12fe38d7d5e.JPG

and here is a quick shot of a close to completion interior/dash mockup from this weekend... lots of hours of aluminum,suede and carbon veneer in there..

119137189_IMG_2132(2).jpg.3b0eb74b3625bb5cef38bf4241c40a41.jpg613821646_IMG_2130(2).jpg.db6abb36fe11bd8aba4f5219415810a4.jpg

13 minutes ago, Spex84 said:

Insane!! I love this thing. It has a "Gene Winfield's Pacifica meets Syd Mead" thing going on. Can't wait to see more!!

Part of the reason I love it is...I have a chopped-up GTX sitting in a box that was going to get a very similar treatment. I got as far as cutting the body up and creating a rough concept sketch, but then lost interest due to the very piecemeal styling resulting from the mis-matched parts I'd planned to use. Might get back to it later with some styling changes:

XGTX_2_Sept102018small-vi.jpg

Thanks!  I will say that Syd Mead images have popped into my head during this...  quite often actually.

Oh that is super sweet!     I like the chopped stude-y roof!     I will say its a really fun project to see how crazy it can get.... I took it to a club meeting and no one could believe all those parts came out of the kit box except the little 1" x 3/8" strip of black styrene to stretch it...  well that and the brass..  hahaa 

8 hours ago, Impalow said:

Or get another kit and chop it up to make a bubbletop 63 impala hot rod..     ideas are flowing, but i want to get this guy ironed out before heading down that road.

Funny, that was one of the doodles I did when I was thinking what to build - but I figured I’d just copied it from your other bubbletop build ?

5856684D-9C42-4BBA-A729-4439EA1B8048.thumb.jpeg.347c53ad75258d45b85014e277627947.jpeg

excuse the crudity of my drawing, my wife hid my crayons ??

Chassis is looking great!!!  Keep going bud!!

14 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Funny, that was one of the doodles I did when I was thinking what to build - but I figured I’d just copied it from your other bubbletop build ?

5856684D-9C42-4BBA-A729-4439EA1B8048.thumb.jpeg.347c53ad75258d45b85014e277627947.jpeg

excuse the crudity of my drawing, my wife hid my crayons ??

Chassis is looking great!!!  Keep going bud!!

Hahaha... that does look a little like my comet..    I'm thinking maybe more like this guy this time... maybe.. but who knows... if even the chassis is done for East... Ill take it.

97220_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

On 1/28/2020 at 9:19 AM, Lowlife ! ! said:

WOW !!  

Your 240Z is incredible,  I heard of race cars losing any excess weight, but Eric that's taking the  @#£%  !! ? 

Amazing car, did you drive that on the street ??

Funny but I thought it was Robert Downey Jnr driving it !

Yeah I drove it like it that... its already a pretty sketchy vehicle, but it feels super sketchy in this configuration...especially without the windshield, and no goggles.  hahaha..  Luckily the show was only about 2 miles from our shop.

And yeah that Robert Downey Jr fellow is a sleep deprived me..haha

19 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Any updates on this wild concept?

Thanks for your interest Bob!   I do have a little update..  nothing earth shattering yet, but working on getting this thing all packaged together.  Ive created a bulkhead and a rear tool box to help square up this chassis assembly.

IMG_2205.jpg.7d8c51b2a60449bd7f218fd8f9629b33.jpg

I have decided to go with a 3 passenger configuration with a center dual joystick controls (like a tank, or zero turn mower) Going to outfit the passenger compartment with some fun late 60's TV's and accessories... possibly some shag carpet.

IMG_2204.jpg.3bdc21c48e7aa7767c7c6be4d9bf62a4.jpg

Then the drive train... I went with some brass tubes and dual quick change rear-ends from the Tommy Ivo Showboat parts kits, the forward one will have the drive pass through the cover to the rear one. I'm not 100% this is feasible in 1:1, but looking at diagrams it seems like a valid idea.  Then I assembled the Blueprinter parts pack Corvair engines to get an accurate idea of the length... Im going to have to use a pretty short transmission, possibly the "in-Out" box from the parts pack 283... its a showcar, so i guess this is okay... unless I can find another super short option? 

IMG_2207.jpg.23d6274ef52f8d37cea113f9edec0be0.jpgIMG_2210.jpg.e5e6993daace79f775b716f4cc7fa681.jpg

Next up is finishing the interior "tub"  and getting the front suspension sorted... once that is worked out, i can sculpt the wacky flares onto the body...

The seating arrangement looks interesting, I like it. The quick change differential and drive shaft too the second differential may, in the real world, offer a problem when changing the gear ratios without maybe a way to remove the drive shaft from the front to the rear differential. In this scale I don't think it will matter. This is quickly becoming a very elaborate build.  

Thanks David! 

Not a ton of progress here, but it is looking more like an actual kit....  slow progress is still progress... just not getting a lot of bench time lately.

Managed to get the rear up on the tires last night, going to re-purpose some parts box front suspension to get the front sorted and determine the track width.

IMG_2231.jpg

This is looking incredible!

Remind me Eric - are you using the deep-cut blade on your Silhouette or the regular one?  I’m not getting results as good as yours when I cut...I’m normally letting the machine do 5 or 6 passes but it doesn’t do a great job of cutting through the material.  Might just be new blade time...

haha... Groovy Bruce!

19 hours ago, CabDriver said:

This is looking incredible!

Remind me Eric - are you using the deep-cut blade on your Silhouette or the regular one?  I’m not getting results as good as yours when I cut...I’m normally letting the machine do 5 or 6 passes but it doesn’t do a great job of cutting through the material.  Might just be new blade time...

Thanks Jim!   I'm using just the standard blade, I did purchase the deep cut blade but found the cut to be less accurate(wider blade?), I also didn't really notice a difference in the depth of the cut on styrene.  I purchased my unit used and it came with an extra brand new standard blade, I still haven't had to put that in yet, and its been several years of cutting styrene.

I use the "chipboard" preset, and then crank the regular blade to 11... I know it only goes to 10... but it does go a little past 10... haha..  The chipboard setting is a slowest speed double cut, and I usually just do it once at that setting, maybe twice for intricate .020 stuff. 

I hope to get some good bench time this weekend... I programed a rear console TV and record player last night, I'm excited to get that built. ?

Edited by Impalow

Anytime Jim!    I really enjoy seeing what you are doing with the cutter...  its fun exploring the possibilities of computer aided modeling. 

IMG_2272.thumb.JPG.ae1afd7a823838c94f2ceaabf7e87617.JPG

Got this thing freestanding over the weekend... the interior bucket is fully built.. track width is figured out so I should be able to start on the flares.   Wheels are just place holders for now... rears need to be larger diameter, and fronts need more deep.

this is the look/feel im going for with this thing ?... so these funky 70's flares are on the way!

p296925329-4.jpg

p1636292066-5.jpg

Also someone should build that...... ☝️

Edited by Impalow

Thanks guys!   A little update on this...

I ground the wheelwells open a bit more, then added a strip of .020 styrene for the base of the flares.

After that I added some quarter round styene strips to the bottom edge of the body to give it that 70's molded feel...

Im going to sculpt the flares with apoxy sculpt in the next couple days so this should give me good reference points.

The wheels are from Scenes Unlimited and they are perfect!   Im going to add some larger lips onto them still... but the depth feels about right.

Thanks for following along.. this thing is truly odd.. and works way better than it should.. haha.

IMG_2306.jpg.eeebd1a192c7399a41df0d456fcdf612.jpgIMG_2307.jpg.372551f81f6724e83d2e3b2f6af42411.jpgIMG_2309.jpg.a0cb89199d8c5cc78423af41f11301d3.jpgIMG_2308.jpg.91fb37c232ac84edb78ce8a1e6bad03e.jpg

• Like 1