Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1963 Impala - Advanced Custom Version

Impalow

Thanks guys!!! 

On 10/17/2020 at 9:14 PM, misterNNL said:

So since this is a hauler...what will it be hauling ?

im still trying to figure that out...  but as of now im thinking a narrowed, open wheel, single passenger 1963 corvette split window... haha... That is subject to change however.. I'm trying to keep my focus solely on the hauler before I get distracted by that. ?

Did anyone see a blue interior coming? hahaha....  I made some inserts with ribbed styrene to match the seats.. Splash paints essential series Blue and Light blue... Then topped with a couple dry coats of blue pearl in Testors dull-coat,  then a few coats of white pearl in dull coat.  The shimmer helps get that 70's velour look.   Lots of detail painting to go...but I like the start!

IMG_E3765.JPG

IMG_E3766.JPG

IMG_E3767.JPG

5 hours ago, Impalow said:

Thanks guys!!! 

im still trying to figure that out...  but as of now im thinking a narrowed, open wheel, single passenger 1963 corvette split window... haha... That is subject to change however.. I'm trying to keep my focus solely on the hauler before I get distracted by that. ?

Did anyone see a blue interior coming? hahaha....  I made some inserts with ribbed styrene to match the seats.. Splash paints essential series Blue and Light blue... Then topped with a couple dry coats of blue pearl in Testors dull-coat,  then a few coats of white pearl in dull coat.  The shimmer helps get that 70's velour look.   Lots of detail painting to go...but I like the start!

IMG_E3765.JPG

IMG_E3766.JPG

IMG_E3767.JPG

Glad to see that your inner just a little crazy personal called and you answered! I would expect nothing less, unlimited imagination combined with craftsman level building skills = what we see here.

13 hours ago, Impalow said:

im thinking a narrowed, open wheel, single passenger 1963 corvette split window.

I just had a vivid memory of a narrowed 'vette with skinny tires that appeared in SAE decades ago when I was very impressionable, so I dug through the mag pile and found it: Joel Dirnberger's "The Shark", winner of the "Best of the Best" award at the Portland Roadster show in 1999. SAE August '99, page 12. It had a blue interior, too!

spacer.png This is the only pic I could find online. It looks better from behind, haha.

I'd love to see your version :D

15 hours ago, Impalow said:

.... im thinking a narrowed, open wheel, single passenger 1963 corvette split window...

'62 half open wheel sorta split-ish Vette old glue bomb on ebay right now, if you are wondering what one variant of that idea might look like. https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMT-1962-Chevy-Corvette-and-Open-Wheel-Race-Car-Fusion-model-kit-adult-built/353239794569

395408411_62Vetterodster.jpg.785c553783c79c15e86467563499709b.jpg

It just keeps getting better and better!

It looks like it could have been an excursion/companion vehicle for the Ark II from that Seventies TV show of the same name.

585ec23a7b743a214ba3a04a5d338cae.jpg.07d7e90fe72be898966880d1a501e995.jpg

"Join us for the next episode where the Ark II crew goes club hopping in their newest custom cruiser!"

David G.

Hey Eric,  been far too long since I checked on your progress.   Man have you been busy.  Every time I see the title of this build  "Advanced Custom Version" I chuckle as it's becoming more and more an understatement.  The car is wickedly cool.   Nice touch to add the LED lights as well.   cheers, tim

On 10/24/2020 at 12:25 PM, Impalow said:

Yes!   Thats kinda where my mind is headed... i was scrolling through Gary Campesi’s artwork the other day and saw these... which is what prompted me to explore the idea

6630D958-80B8-4F89-8700-9A4DEDC51061.jpeg

CEE5F09A-2C52-46C8-A4F4-D13BD489AF6A.jpeg

Hi Eric!

Fantastic transporter... and that would be, INDEED, fantastic cargo! It begs to be recreated in styrene. Hope you go ahead with it...

CT

Thanks guys!

not a huge update... but I was able to get some clear on this again...  probably the best spraying of clear Ive done, really leveled it all up... almost a shame it needs sanded and cleared one more time... next update should be some Kandy!

Clear.jpg

On 10/28/2020 at 2:59 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Very cool paint work! You are braver than me, I would’ve quit before the red out f worry of screwing the whole thing up.

Now if I could only do my part and have a friggin show for you to bring it to!  ?

Thanks Tom!     We do need to have a show!  Im sure it will happen eventually, till then Ill just keep making this build more complex.  hahha

On 10/28/2020 at 3:24 PM, Belugawrx said:

Really liking the dark red?

Thanks!  its a beautiful color... it really looks like old school candy apple red!

On 10/29/2020 at 4:24 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Eric!

Spectacular "flow" of the clear, indeed!

May-I ask what brand you are using? I know you are a seasoned painter, but your material seems top shelf too!

CT

Hey Claude!   Thank you!!! 

The clear we use is actually quite the opposite of top shelf.  Its the cheapest no name 2k/urethane clear I can get from the Local Auto body supply.  My dad and I buy a quart every couple of years for around $25-30. It works great and the hardener usually goes bad before we even use it all.  The cheaper clears usually have less UV resistance, and a lower build film thickness which works great for model projects! 

We use that clear and the little Harbor Freight touchup/jam gun on everything and have had really great luck!

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air-spray-guns/adjustable-detail-spray-gun-92126.html

Edited by Impalow

5 hours ago, Impalow said:

Thanks Tom!     We do need to have a show!  Im sure it will happen eventually, till then Ill just keep making this build more complex.  hahha

Thanks!  its a beautiful color... it really looks like old school candy apple red!

Hey Claude!   Thank you!!! 

The clear we use is actually quite the opposite of top shelf.  Its the cheapest no name 2k/urethane clear I can get from the Local Auto body supply.  My dad and I buy a quart every couple of years for around $25-30. It works great and the hardener usually goes bad before we even use it all.  The cheaper clears usually have less UV resistance, and a lower build film thickness which works great for model projects! 

We use that clear and the little Harbor Freight touchup/jam gun on everything and have had really great luck!

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air-spray-guns/adjustable-detail-spray-gun-92126.html

Hi Eric!

Thank your for the infos. 

I do a lot of 1/1 custom painting, and use mostly HOK Show Klear. It's more viscous, flows slowly, and leave enough for a good block sand and polish afterward.

However, on surfaces I don't wish to sand and polish ( door jambs, inner doors, etc,) I use "commercial grade" clear from auto body suppliers. You are right to say it has a lower film build and flows shinier. 

Your spectacular results have me thinking about using it next time. We'll see...

CT 

Thanks guys!  I allowed myself to get slightly distracted by this single passenger stingray idea... I was really struggling to figure out how to cut up a split window and keep all those lines intact... especially the tail section.

well Thanks to @CabDriver for some images, and his review of the 1/32nd scale kit... I had a epiphany.. what if I used the rear roof/split window section of the 1/32 scale roof?

So I went out and picked up a snapfast Mako shark (since its already kind of customized) and a 63 vette in 1/32nd scale.

Laying the bodies out it looks like mixing the scales may work... I am going to narrow the mako body, then graft the 1:32 roof onto it (probably will have to lengthen the forward roof area to get it to look correct)

Even tho I don't really need the distraction, I'm gonna cut these up and see if I can get this all to play nice together.

vette1.jpg

vette2.jpg