Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1963 Impala - Advanced Custom Version

Impalow

I wanna build that red ‘Vette too?, but I don’t have a clue how to go about it....or the skills. But if you are going to do it Eric, I guess I can get my get my thrills vicariously.? I’ll be watching in anticipation!

Edited by NOBLNG

I am pretty sure that someone made the narrowed body in a 3d print. I did see one of those bodies at the last Heartland Nationals I attended. I am pretty sure that just recently I saw it available, perhaps on shapeways. 

Thanks guys!   I havent found that 3d printed narrow vette yet, but i have looked a couple times... for now I tossed all the vettes back in the boxes to keep concentration on the “impala” 

i made lots of progress on the records and record player, even made that superfly album.. also moody blues and abby rd. then a random yellow motown record.  i used the silhouette cutter for this, and .005 colored film from hobby lobby. I scored the records then cut the perimeters.  Then i made a mask and painted the center white, followed by ink jet printed clear decals for the labels.

I finished up the HUD with some printed gauge faces, googly eye bubbles and some etched .015 clear.  The evans  micro flickering LED light is bright and shines nicely. 

9A753EF8-E328-48DC-A98C-9F7C2EA4E6A3.jpeg

30EF0F03-60F2-4E22-B371-DCA994A91C16.jpeg

757DA9E6-60B6-4F24-9DA5-F70FDAB5B12D.jpeg

90B57A6C-82E2-4F99-8B53-9371963F0252.jpeg

479CCA8E-5D35-4CCB-A7B2-488461280957.jpeg

E9299B41-73A4-405C-8F9B-40455DEA7AC0.jpeg

Edited by Impalow
removed nonfunctioning video

I really like how you did the records. The setup with the picture, I'm guessing, of the band on the screen reminds me of a player that used to be in some "drinking establishments" that I may have visited long ago. What they had was a larger Juke Box with a TV type screen mounted on top. I think they used to call it a Scope a Tron or something like that. You would play a selection and it showed a music video of the artist that was playing. Great idea here, along with everything else you've done on this build. 

On 11/11/2020 at 7:37 PM, mrm said:

I am pretty sure that someone made the narrowed body in a 3d print. I did see one of those bodies at the last Heartland Nationals I attended. I am pretty sure that just recently I saw it available, perhaps on shapeways. 

I saw possibly the same car on the table at5 a Toledo NL a few years ago. It was printed in a translucent material.

Thanks guys!!  I made a little progress on the engine(s) today... still needs some work to be a finished assembly, but I like where this is headed...  those plug wires were all sorts of fun..   I feel like ive said this before... but no more dual engine model cars.. ?

F5E1C8A3-5E48-4C86-A1FC-CF63F79A4FDC.jpeg

7BE2E81E-8C7B-4D7E-A99E-2E9B2ADE13F5.jpeg

Hahhaa.. i knew i said that before! 

thanks a bunch guys... wrapped up the engine assembly today! 

The belts are made from electrical tape, and boy was that fun.. as well as the imagineered transmission linkage.  The HO train fans/grills really bring it to life, and actually look better in person than in photos because of the depth. 

173FDCFE-6D23-4CF0-808A-652D61FC9509.jpeg

0A4320B5-8738-47D9-A95F-A84FD14C7E3A.jpeg

B5F290CB-E1CF-4400-979A-8045F826B5E7.jpeg

Thanks guys!!!  

Got the chassis/drivetrain/interior all assembled and wired last night.... I'm about "done" on this thing except the rainbow candy and clear. 

I'm going to pivot off this one for a little bit, and back onto my RWB Myers Manx.... I think I can get it in basecoat and clear them at the same time.

Here are a couple of videos of the screens working:

And a photo of the HUD all illuminated.. just because it is way cool.  Thank you all for the inspiration and ideas on that!

HUD.jpg

Edited by Impalow