Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1963 Impala - Advanced Custom Version


Impalow

Recommended Posts

Thanks guys!!! 

On 2/18/2022 at 6:31 AM, David G. said:

How's that Corvette coming along BTW?

David G.

Oh, its not coming along at all... I did order some tires for it so I can work out more of the details... but as of now I'm not even going to try to get it done for the Columbus show.  I am going to try and work out a less complex payload quickly so there is something back there.  I cant wait to get back on the corvette tho, its going to be so fun!

 

I was able to convince my boss into letting me use our work paint booth to get some clear sprayed on my lunch hour today!  A just a little overkill...lol

Clear1.jpg

Clear2.jpg

Edited by Impalow
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A couple pieces of dirt in the roof... but all in all... I'm happy with it.. cant wait to get proper lighting and make it POP!Clear.thumb.jpg.55a0ec69d4dccd83232495694f687920.jpg

and with the flash!

1529555549_Clearwithflash.thumb.jpg.2eeb40b6e850b0d1489df8d629edcdb7.jpg

Oh I decided to wait and do the BareMetal Foil after the clear... the kandy was just a bit too fragile to risk it.

Edited by Impalow
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Eric!

Great results on the clear-coat. May-I ask what brand of clear you used? I guess it's automotive grade, judging from the spraying environment?

CT

Hey Claude!   Thank you!   its just a Cheap Urethane Clear from our local paint shop.  Its a bit thinner than the premium stuff which helps the prevent the "dripped in goo" look.

18 hours ago, absmiami said:

Another thought - what

if you trimmed this in copper or gold instead ??  ???

That is great idea!  I don't know if I have it in me to paint on this thing anymore...hahaha..   I have been gathering copper paint and trim for another project, I may need to try a spot on this and see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alright... so i goofed up.. 

The corvette is going to be too wide for the back of this thing, I looked at a lot of options even notching the sides out, but everything I came up with just made it less cool. So I think that unfortunately is going to become a stand alone future build... Which I am not entirely unhappy about, I was battling myself about 3d printing the chassis since nothing else on this hauler project is 3d printed, felt a little like cheating... which is odd, but more of a personal internal struggle than anything.  

I did a mock-up and attended our N.C.A.M. meeting/hangout on Saturday,and was discussing with the guys my dilemma of a payload.  That's when Todd Wingerter picked up one of his gorgeous front engine dragsters and set it on the back. 

Hauly.jpg.229fa6c4c809b77712b0b929b4e69f31.jpg

It has the narrow width and low profile I need, now just need to build something to the correct time period!  So here we go again!  🤣

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Impalow said:

Alright... so i goofed up.. 

The corvette is going to be too wide for the back of this thing, I looked at a lot of options even notching the sides out, but everything I came up with just made it less cool. So I think that unfortunately is going to become a stand alone future build... Which I am not entirely unhappy about, I was battling myself about 3d printing the chassis since nothing else on this hauler project is 3d printed, felt a little like cheating... which is odd, but more of a personal internal struggle than anything.  

I did a mock-up and attended our N.C.A.M. meeting/hangout on Saturday,and was discussing with the guys my dilemma of a payload.  That's when Todd Wingerter picked up one of his gorgeous front engine dragsters and set it on the back. 

Hauly.jpg.229fa6c4c809b77712b0b929b4e69f31.jpg

It has the narrow width and low profile I need, now just need to build something to the correct time period!  So here we go again!  🤣

Hi Eric!

Then, may-I suggest something in the lines of the Yellow Fang dragster? It was almost a show-dragster, if I remember correclty...

CT

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Eric!

Then, may-I suggest something in the lines of the Yellow Fang dragster? It was almost a show-dragster, if I remember correclty...

CT

you read my mind!  Some thing like that, or a short version of this.. It has to have body panels to paint, and I love the rear bodywork coming up to the parachute.

1970 TV Tommy Ivo Front Engine Top Fuel Dragster | S123 | Kissimmee 2022

The Most Beautiful Top Fuel Dragster Ever Built

9 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Another option would be the mooneyes dragster built with a color scheme that would match the hauler.

yes!  I was looking at that too...the length is about right....  just would need to make my own body panels to make it look more 70's

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Impalow said:

you read my mind!  Some thing like that, or a short version of this.. It has to have body panels to paint, and I love the rear bodywork coming up to the parachute.

1970 TV Tommy Ivo Front Engine Top Fuel Dragster | S123 | Kissimmee 2022

The Most Beautiful Top Fuel Dragster Ever Built

yes!  I was looking at that too...the length is about right....  just would need to make my own body panels to make it look more 70's

Hi Eric!

Happy you consider my suggestion, AMT offered the Ivo car lately, it's even on the shelf of my LHS as we speak.

But in order to apply the tricky paint I know you have in mind, you may have to glue the many panels together first, and slide the bare chassis in later. Otherwise, you will have numerous panel joints. 

The lakester below was built this way, and it is more work, but can be done. 

Good luck with your project!

CT 

DSCF3106.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am definitely on board with this dragster idea. I'm sure your creative mind will come up with something spectacular.

Not to hijack, so feel free to ignore, but any idea where these wheels are from? (not sure if Todd is a member here)  Are they the custom wheels from the old Revell 56 Chevy?

image.png.5e8310659be22ce2ce660824b1708290.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/1/2022 at 7:21 AM, Impalow said:

I was battling myself about 3d printing the chassis since nothing else on this hauler project is 3d printed, felt a little like cheating... which is odd, but more of a personal internal struggle than anything.  

Funny you say that - I was just thinking that same thing this week about one of my projects...like you say, it kinda feels like cheating to let the machine do all the work.  Mind you, it felt like cheating when I started using my scrapbook cutter to make plastic parts and it felt like cheating when I first resin cast some stuff and it still feels like cheating when I cut paint masks and don't have to do them by hand too 😁

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Plugging along... next Saturday is the contest and the list is getting shorter...  Basically down to ramps, exhaust, headlamp lens... then permanently install the wheels and tires... oh and bumpers...  I got them painted in Molotow chrome yesterday, but not in love with the finish.. My paint/ink may just be old... probably going to redo.

Got all the BMF done, then started in on the wiring... Took a bit, but its all stashed away. I had to use two of the new smaller Lithium battery holders from Evans Design, One for the head and tail lamps, the other for the flickering interior screens. Seems to work okay so far.  https://evandesigns.com/products/small-coin-cell-holder-with-separate-switch

Hauly2.jpg.58894f75c6df11f195ce781ee4d3a58b.jpg

 

then worked on the tail light assembly and lens, these are two red "Pico" LEDS and boy are they tiny.  The tailgate still swings up and has working lights, which was my goal/challenge.  I made a ribbed styrene back panel and covered it with BMF, then put the lights on the edges to try and spread the light across somewhat.  I used the same clear red film as the records to make the lens... but it looked a bit plain.  https://evandesigns.com/products/chip-nano-pico-leds?variant=32158378885168

Hauly3.jpg.9b2de04ef50c770909f07d5d9434fed1.jpg

So I went ahead and used the scrapbook cutter to make an etched lens, and a .010 bezel... made it look a lot better and less plain.

Hauly4.jpg.d9e48ff464e3220399570a87e0cfd0f5.jpgHauly5.jpg.cd3f3dddbd17132a0be365b358301657.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/1/2022 at 11:59 AM, Mr. Metallic said:

I am definitely on board with this dragster idea. I'm sure your creative mind will come up with something spectacular.

Not to hijack, so feel free to ignore, but any idea where these wheels are from? (not sure if Todd is a member here)  Are they the custom wheels from the old Revell 56 Chevy?

image.png.5e8310659be22ce2ce660824b1708290.png

Todd is going to ride down to Columbus with me so Ill be sure to ask him!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...