Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's on your "WATCH LIST"?

randyc

What diecast are you watching that you might seriously consider?  What might you just be looking at?

Right now, I have: Maisto 66 Lincoln; DM 55 Chevies  - yellow/white; Lincoln Mint GTO; FM 41 Lincoln (white); those are things that are still possible.   I have others that have gone out of my reach.   How much do you watch for real buying and how many you watch to see how much they sell for?

Is this even a good idea for a thread?  Or do we end up sniping each other?  lol.  

Are you after a particular car, or just looking at things that might be interesting to have?

My budget is pretty cheap - under $50 incl shipping usually, but I have several that were more and I am willing to pay a bit more for complete with boxes and all now.  Especially if it is a car that is susceptible to damage in shipping.    I do manage to get some mangy mutts at my price point, but I don't mind a session of detailing.  I look at photos to see if everything is there or if I can replace what isn't.  Mirrors and antennae aren't too important to me.   Same with wipers.  I can live without those if the price is cheap enough.  Broken cars if I think I can fix.  I have some nice pieces I paid $10 for and fixed or cleaned.  

I'll buy small collections if I think I sell the ones I don't want.  And usually can cover the entire inital cost, so I get a car for free.   I bought a 43 car collection and doubled my money in a month and kept a few cars.  

Just something to give us something to gab about...

The DM red '68 Charger and the DM General Lee are pretty high on my list . If only I can find either at a reasonable price. I'm not holding my breath though lol. Same for the DM '69 Royal Bobcat GTO. I also want that new Welly C8, just not in yellow, I already have a yellow Vette.? I may get another Testors/ Lincoln Mint Charger and make my own General Lee like I'm doing with the DMCL Charger.

Edited by Geno

I believe it is a good topic to discuss.  There is not much on my watch list right now fortunately from a budget ($50) standpoint but I do enjoy the hunt.  As Snake mentioned the C8 is a must have and I am always on the look out for C2 Corvettes to fill out my coupe and convertible collection for each year between 1963 and 1967.  I just ordered a mystery Ferrari for $9.75 that is a special edition and boxing but no detail on listing, could not resist.

I've been watching for the following cars, either diecasts, or good promos, or relatively cheap kits...  I usually have a $50 limit for either promos or kits, and have gone up to $100 for DM or FM diecasts... I'll sometimes get a good deal on diecasts that are either slightly damaged or missing a part or 2.

1955 Studebaker - The DM diecast prices are ridiculously high... I may have to settle on a promo.

1957 Thunderbird - I've been watching a pre-painted kit.

1958 Desoto - I've been looking for a Johan promo without the "smile" warp, but in the last couple of years I've only seen one and I was outbid for it at the last few seconds.

1958 Thunderbird - I'd prefer to get a DM diecast but the prices go quite a bit higher than I'm willing to pay.  I have the Monogram kit but am not crazy about it... In the end I may have to settle for building it.

1959 Thunderbird - Another one where the DM diecast prices are astronomical whenever they appear.  Kits for this car seem kind of rare out there too.

5 minutes ago, Ramfins59 said:

I've been watching for the following cars, either diecasts, or good promos, or relatively cheap kits...  I usually have a $50 limit for either promos or kits, and have gone up to $100 for DM or FM diecasts... I'll sometimes get a good deal on diecasts that are either slightly damaged or missing a part or 2.

1955 Studebaker - The DM diecast prices are ridiculously high... I may have to settle on a promo.

1957 Thunderbird - I've been watching a pre-painted kit.

1958 Desoto - I've been looking for a Johan promo without the "smile" warp, but in the last couple of years I've only seen one and I was outbid for it at the last few seconds.

1958 Thunderbird - I'd prefer to get a DM diecast but the prices go quite a bit higher than I'm willing to pay.  I have the Monogram kit but am not crazy about it... In the end I may have to settle for building it.

1959 Thunderbird - Another one where the DM diecast prices are astronomical whenever they appear.  Kits for this car seem kind of rare out there too.

Dang I was going to  recommend the Wix diecast for the 57 Thunbderbird, but it's a 56.  I'm not smart enough to know the differences in 55 - 57 Thunderbirds.    And yep on the other thunderbirds.   

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

I believe it is a good topic to discuss.  There is not much on my watch list right now fortunately from a budget ($50) standpoint but I do enjoy the hunt.  As Snake mentioned the C8 is a must have and I am always on the look out for C2 Corvettes to fill out my coupe and convertible collection for each year between 1963 and 1967.  I just ordered a mystery Ferrari for $9.75 that is a special edition and boxing but no detail on listing, could not resist.

I bought that 73 F100 with no photo at all.  but the price was good and it was as described with box and all.   And it was cheap enough - like $26 delivered and I couldn't find on one ebay for that.

Good luck with the mystery Ferrari.

I wish I could find a reasonably priced 65 Corvette...

A lot of times, the hunt is the best part.  

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Always looking for the First Gear '69 Chevelle in Fathom Green. 

Awaiting the appearance of the Welly C8 Corvette. 

I know about you and the green 69 - You will know if I find one , well I'll let you know if it's above my threshold...  lol  I do like my red one pretty good though. Might not need a green one.

1 hour ago, randyc said:

I wish I could find a reasonably priced 65 Corvette...

Me too. I have several different '63s, and at least 2 different '67s, but can't recall seeing any '65 or '66--except a Jada, which looked overscale even to the naked eye (and it wasn't even close to stock in the first place). 

42 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Me too. I have several different '63s, and at least 2 different '67s, but can't recall seeing any '65 or '66--except a Jada, which looked overscale even to the naked eye (and it wasn't even close to stock in the first place). 

This took quite awhile to find.

Left to right: '63 Danbury, '64 Danbury, '65 Crown Premiums, '66 Danbury, '67 Franklin Mint

20200116_151311.jpg.c4f1a434c9e4f09565838ab85fcb3f95.jpg

About the only things I buy in diecast are subjects that never have been or probably never will be available in styrene or resin, and then usually only damaged models that aren't too bad, but are really cheap. I've often been able to buy several messes with enough parts to build one nice one for a fraction of what a decent model would cost, but I've ended up with a few disasters too...like a crumbling '55 Pontiac that's not savable.

Only thing I don't have that I kinda want is a bullet nose Stude Starlight Coupe.

28 minutes ago, randyc said:

That CP car is rarer that the mint cars.  I watch them when I see them but haven't found the one I want at the right moment.  There is a convertible CP too, I believe.  

The red Crown Premium pictured is a convertible, just not real clear from the angle the dumb photographer (me) used.

3 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

This took quite awhile to find.

Left to right: '63 Danbury, '64 Danbury, '65 Crown Premiums, '66 Danbury, '67 Franklin Mint

20200116_151311.jpg.c4f1a434c9e4f09565838ab85fcb3f95.jpg

Sweet collection! A few years back I built a Monogram '65 coupe kit as a '66 327, and started another one as a '65 396, so those will have to hold down the 1/24 '65 and '66 slots on my shelf. I really need to dig that started '65 out and finish it. About all it needs is paint. 

It would be relatively easy to turn one of my random '63s into a '64. 

Danbury Mint 1937 Chevrolet Budweiser Christmas delivery truck. Only one I need to complete the set.

Franklin Mint 1939 World's Fair Ford Convertible Coupe. The first time I saw one I knew I wanted it.

Franklin Mint John Dillinger's 1933 Ford Deluxe. Just a good looking diecast and I have the Capone Cadillac.

Franklin Mint Bonnie & Clyde's 1932 Ford V-8. Same Story.

I've been trying to find them for less than $50 with a box complete can be damaged, but repairable.

I'm always on the hunt for a mint bargain that's complete but reparable or dirty.

Three other diecasts I'm on the lookout for are Carl Edwards 2016 Subway 1:24 NASCAR Toyota, SunStar I Love Lucy 1955 Pontiac w/2 figures, Luggage, Guitar case, and Racing Champions Marty Robbins #42 Dodge Daytona.

Unlike the FM and DM cars, they need to be in their orignal packages and unmolested.

GT Spirit 1/18 scale Koenig Specials Ferrari 512 BBi ... except for much cheaper than what ebay usually has priced at in all the Buy it Now listings. And same goes for an 18th scale Joyride/ERTL Bluesmobile and 18th scale Minichamps Volvo P1800 ES wagon. Happens rarely, but smokin' low price ebay auctions do strike occasionally, I got my wish that way for a 24th scale Franklin Mint Checker cab for $30-ish from an estate sale seller, because it had a couple of missing door handles, accessories & original packaging.

On 1/16/2020 at 11:05 AM, Gramps46 said:

I just ordered a mystery Ferrari for $9.75 that is a special edition and boxing but no detail on listing, could not resist.

Well the mystery Ferrari arrived and I had guessed it would be a Ferrari Mythos and it was.  What was strange was there was no brand name on the model or the box.  I did determine that Majorette had used the Deluxe Collection name and similar boxes so I am going to assume it was by Majorette.  The model itself is not very good and the original price tag was for $3.95 which tells you something about the quality of the model.  It is not going on the shelf.

20200123_133211.jpg.a904afcadd44c41c631e50b8c29bfc9c.jpg

Hirohatas come up occasionally on ebay.  Usually $75 for no box and on up from there.   It was my holy grail of scale models.  Well a couple years ago, when everyone was asking what I wanted and I wanted absolutely nothing real, I said donate to the Hirohata fund.   And I bought one.  Then later I bought a different car in a fancy case with wood base. The Hirohata lives there on my dresser now.  That is a beautiful replica.   My most expensive car to date at $150 delivered.  

The other one would have to be painted from something else?  Looks like it would be reasonably easy to replicate?  Snake has a thread on here now and I have the same car in green.   With a repaint and some decals... or am I missing something?  I did look it up. 

1 hour ago, randyc said:

The other one would have to be painted from something else?  Looks like it would be reasonably easy to replicate?  Snake has a thread on here now and I have the same car in green.   With a repaint and some decals... or am I missing something?  I did look it up. 

Now you've lost me. You still talking about Hirohata Merc? I don't think I've ever mentioned that car here, much less started a thread on it. Or are you talking about something else now? #Baffled   :unsure: