Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT - 1969 Chevrolet pickup: The Green Barge

I owned this 1969 Chevrolet C-10, got from a friend who needed the money, died last year, nephew bought it because it was sold new in Safford (still had the service plate with the manual) to a relative.  It grew on me, found out why they are very coveted, much like the model kits! ?  I nicknamed it The Green Barge because a friend owned a nice motorcycle named The Green Monster.  Currently own a 1968 C-10, so can use for reference (which is the same blue this model was painted).

Going to build for a future diorama idea, so not going to scratch-build an accurate chassis, but will grind off the left exhaust to replicate this truck (I wanted to put on twice pipes).  Bought off Facebook Marketplace, it was built half decent, seller had stripped the body, I'm stripping and rebuilding the rest.  The plan is to improve some things, and modify to resemble the trim specifications.  The interior is going to be a major scratch-build: cut out the bucket seats and make a bench seat from Corian, dash will get gauges behind 'glass' (minus little auxiliary ones), add shift lever and turn signal, pedals, door panels were steel with simple arm rest.  Exterior will have the upper trim removed, the raised wood grain needs to be removed from the lower trim, tailgate will be a major change, drill stakebed holes, modify the front bumper, sidelights need to be basic, and fix the horrible taillights.  Scratch-build: the license plates, rear bumper, mirrors, toolbox, steps, driving lights (which came off my MINI).  Aftermarket details: gauge faces, slotted mags, and the big deal item is the '69 grill!

I took reference pictures with the tape measure in the picture when I sold it, will post them as I get to those parts.  Start off with these photos to give an idea.
Hauling flagstone:
IMG_7576_Fotor.thumb.jpg.6579477f7620e76652c3eeae03c9c11e.jpg
Hauling mountain bike:
IMG_9171_Fotor.thumb.jpg.a8b0b229b1947574b9e01667e0f6adca.jpg
Replaced the perfectly bumper that I snagged on the fence post:
IMG_8239_Fotor.thumb.jpg.2a6904347fc34efbf6436bfa15ee8ae1.jpg
Day that I said goodbye:
IMG_9264_Fotor.thumb.jpg.aa68f960145a6deec65635f9bd205baa.jpg

Most of the parts, instructions with notes:
IMG_1330_Fotor.jpg.9760f670a1fba93541a4839b10dd23bf.jpg

The rest of the parts:
IMG_1328_Fotor.jpg.b4374deac53c5f367f1955e45fc7ec35.jpg
IMG_1317_Fotor.jpg.47b6e93bff05f41ea950a6ed86cb87e0.jpg

Cleaning up parts of mold lines, and starting assembly.  Puttying the massive ejection pin marks.
IMG_1331_Fotor.jpg.7ef689b2d597bc00394a0fd64f9cfce2.jpg

Going to order Splash paint per paint chart, 503.  The original owner had it repainted, including the interior!  When I replaced the left headlight, discovered why. ?
112116732_1969Chevroletpaint.jpg.43099bf1117e68d6eea8f5b9128a0ade.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

LOL....thats happens to me from time to time as well!.....this will be another beautiful build, Bud!!!

I'll just blame you, for being a "bad" influence.  ?  Engine parts are about to be ready to glue and paint.

Was wondering when you'd get to this one, having seen your current blue barge in person last year. I prefer the '69 grille styling. My older brother kicked around the idea of getting a 1:1 '69, but with the idea of specifically putting a '71 bumper on it and filling the bumper turnsignal holes with equal-sized fog lights, just to be weird. He's more of a model trains guy, so you can blame his bumper swap idea on that line of non car-guy reasoning.

9 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Awesome old truck

It was nice, highly recommended for a 50 year old vehicle.

3 hours ago, Russell C said:

Was wondering when you'd get to this one, having seen your current blue barge in person last year. I prefer the '69 grille styling. My older brother kicked around the idea of getting a 1:1 '69, but with the idea of specifically putting a '71 bumper on it and filling the bumper turnsignal holes with equal-sized fog lights, just to be weird. He's more of a model trains guy, so you can blame his bumper swap idea on that line of non car-guy reasoning.

I have the Blazer kit, the bumper has no turn signals, but the center is still wrong.  I'm filling them in, hoping the Alclad chrome will suffice instead of getting plated.

49 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Why? I'd like to know.

It came out okay, but putting it back was conflicting with the surrounding opening and mount, and the trim did not fit as well either.  I looked inside and could tell there was bodywork, and then looking around the wheel arch edge the Bondo was not neatly conforming.  I recall my friend saying it had gotten banged up, that's why it was repainted.

Anyone who restores glue bombs, is there always some paint left on parts?  Got most off with brake fluid, washed with Purple Power and then dishwashing soap, using a toothbrush.  Sanded mating surfaces with nail sanding stick, scraped with a knife where needed, superglued together.  For the manifolds, drilled and glued in stretched sprue, and drilled the heads too.  The steering wheel was broken, the real one had massive cracks in the rim, so that's accurate. ?
IMG_1338_Fotor.jpg.bd4f0a8234b7da59bef1539ee204c3e6.jpg

Usually everyone adds twice pipes, in this case the truck had one muffler and pipe to the back.  I'm not worried about accuracy or concours quality underneath, and was not going to replicate the pipe going through a torched hole in the cross member. ?  Used the Dremel to grind off the extra pipe, needed to fill where the muffler was with sprue, and superglue/baking soda other areas on top (not pictured).  Block is painted.  Also not doing the electric fuel pump, which was jerry-rigged on because it had saddle tanks, which I removed, and failed on me, which got the mechanical fuel pump put back on the engine!
IMG_1339_Fotor.jpg.ce3aa59afc4055f7e90304c35a612464.jpg
IMG_7728_Fotor.thumb.jpg.fa2d6c4edd0cd5e80415a08601863256.jpg

Jumped on the other project to give some time for the orange to dry.  Masked and painted semi-gloss black, that truck had an aluminum intake, but I painted this orange too, it also had black valve covers because it was a crate motor, and I like that contrast.  Painted the transmission pan black too, instructions did not say so, but I recall it wasn't aluminum.  I modified the air cleaner to mimic the aftermarket unit that was on that truck (and the '68), painted Alclad chrome.
IMG_1340_Fotor.jpg.1da324bdc6804701125d737a9c3ee6c1.jpg

I recently got a set of scrapers from MicroMark, wish I got them years ago!  Made the rerouted exhaust pipe from solder.  Will put a longer stainless steel tip on after the chassis to body is assembled, that's a mistake from the other project.
IMG_1341_Fotor.jpg.f7e384dd44c8678ec4ffd7832d07b558.jpg

First of all, I love the color combo on the original truck. This is a cool project. I don't know if you want to go to the effort, but as nice as the body is on that model, it gives you the wrong front inner wheel wells. Here's a '69 C-10 engine compartment (pic). The truck is going to look great regardless, just thought I'd point it out.

222085_Engine_Web.jpg

8 hours ago, Repstock said:

First of all, I love the color combo on the original truck. This is a cool project. I don't know if you want to go to the effort, but as nice as the body is on that model, it gives you the wrong front inner wheel wells. Here's a '69 C-10 engine compartment (pic). The truck is going to look great regardless, just thought I'd point it out.

222085_Engine_Web.jpg

There is so much wrong with the model, that I sort of hope they never reissue it.  For one thing, a new tool could reduce the amount plastic by half, the body feels like it's 1/16" thick.  I should take a closeup picture of the taillights, with pictures of the real truck.  Since I'm dreaming, a new kit should have trim options, bone stock with no trim, add the side trim bottom, then the top for top level (which I'm removing).  I can hardly wait to work on the tailgate. ?  Now I see a fan shroud should be done, the radiator on the kit is too small, not wasting time.  My truck had a 1 ton brake booster, the model has no booster.  ?That truck has no a/c, mine did, had what looked like a soup can for a part.  That truck is missing the rubber drain tubes on the firewall, no I'm not adding those.  When I get around to building a '68, will address everything.

6 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Lol, its okay, i'm strong....looking forward to yer updates, Bud!!!

I know you are, working on 40 models now? ?  I'm back up to 2.

1 hour ago, 89AKurt said:

There is so much wrong with the model, that I sort of hope they never reissue it.  For one thing, a new tool could reduce the amount plastic by half, the body feels like it's 1/16" thick.  I should take a closeup picture of the taillights, with pictures of the real truck.  Since I'm dreaming, a new kit should have trim options, bone stock with no trim, add the side trim bottom, then the top for top level (which I'm removing).  I can hardly wait to work on the tailgate. ?  Now I see a fan shroud should be done, the radiator on the kit is too small, not wasting time.  My truck had a 1 ton brake booster, the model has no booster.  ?That truck has no a/c, mine did, had what looked like a soup can for a part.  That truck is missing the rubber drain tubes on the firewall, no I'm not adding those.  When I get around to building a '68, will address everything.

I know you are, working on 40 models now? ?  I'm back up to 2.

LOL....not me....

All I'm going to do, is a few things, like modify the air cleaner..... I said.  Oh, how about a fuel line, and filter (salvaged electronic part).   Oh, a dip stick would be nice.  Oh, photo-etch drain plug.    Oh yea, plug wires should be done, with support loom.  Oh, think that's going to be a pet peeve, floating accessories such as the alternator and the instructions say that's an air pump, which was removed on the real truck but can serve as the a/c condenser, better make mounts since I'm going to all this trouble. ?

Aftermarket detail parts used so far:
IMG_1344_Fotor.jpg.f61f2ddd27c8b0cfae62205200a09b6a.jpg

Sort of a shame that it's going to get weathered. ?
IMG_1345_Fotor.jpg.37810ec57f714f1fcd1b42e7770e25bf.jpg
IMG_1346_Fotor.jpg.49d84fc1002dc985d0bbcabb48f046c8.jpg

All I need to do is modify ....... ?

My OCD needs to be checked, otherwise I will never finish this!  Would like to add steering shaft and box, and power steering pump, which would lead to steerable wheels and linkages and.... not going there! ?  Next time.  For now, I just want the engine to be detailed enough to distract from all the shortcomings of the kit.  Doing tribute builds tends to dredge up memories, when I bought the truck from my friend, deal was when he got money he would buy it back.  Long story short, he didn't, so after a couple of years of sitting, decided to drive it, found out it ran like a POS, barely made it back home.  Took off the distributor cap, saw lots of metal dust inside. ?  So the first new part was a Mallory distributor.

Start today with a picture of that first drive.  I'm taking liberty on this build, not doing the gas saddle tanks, the chrome bed rails (always blinded me every time I walked by), the windshield CHEVROLET was the first to go, the black triangles where the fender badges were removed, and the rusty chrome wagon wheels.
7762791974_11a39d1069_c.jpg

Needed pictures to go from:
1891563080_MalloryUnitlitedistributor.jpg.158464fce24fbf5cb3d6167b931f1f17.jpg

Doing red wires, because I have the wire, looks cools, but not faithful, but like I said....
1502470271_Malloryignitionwires.jpg.d7a4f48c372da7c44947c6482e0f4fd3.jpg

Firing order:
1287844109_350firingorder.jpg.5136b5bf0316253f4241dfc8a4af9a7b.jpg

Redoing the coil, it was not sticking up like the kit:
217809713_Unitliteballastwiring.jpg.128d3c421918039d0e8fee65f1801b6b.jpg

15 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Since I'm dreaming, a new kit should have trim options, bone stock with no trim, add the side trim bottom, then the top for top level

The best designers are the builders themselves... I used to hear my Vocational teacher (Auto body Tech) say "The people who make it don't use it". I think that's true but there was only so much you could do. The way technology is advancing, 3d printing and Model companies thoroughly researching the subject, the community would benefit from a new tool 69 Chevy truck. 

I've invisioned a modern tool of a 76 Nova SS for many years. I would mold it with optional bumper impact strips (which is an option on the real car). I would also mold the grill open and multi-peice Rally wheels (separate trim rings and centers). 

Anyways, that's my dream kit... This is a cool project for an Awesome Chevy Truck, looking forward to seeing it come together...

10 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

Oh man..you got it as bad as I do..sometimes.

Just a quick build to pass the time, while the paint dries on this project.. now I need to order some brackets, and new wheels, better wires..............? 

You are more accurate than you think!  I did order yellow wire, among other things this week. ?

10 hours ago, disconovaman said:

The best designers are the builders themselves... I used to hear my Vocational teacher (Auto body Tech) say "The people who make it don't use it". I think that's true but there was only so much you could do. The way technology is advancing, 3d printing and Model companies thoroughly researching the subject, the community would benefit from a new tool 69 Chevy truck. 

I've invisioned a modern tool of a 76 Nova SS for many years. I would mold it with optional bumper impact strips (which is an option on the real car). I would also mold the grill open and multi-peice Rally wheels (separate trim rings and centers). 

Anyways, that's my dream kit... This is a cool project for an Awesome Chevy Truck, looking forward to seeing it come together...

Open grills, seeing how the Chinese are doing military kits, should be cake.  Thanks!

All I wanted to do... is make a distributor. ?  Used the cordless drill on high speed, with the Dremel to rough out.
IMG_1347_Fotor.jpg.4272b4a40a85b738c471b9a8d665efb7.jpg
IMG_1348_Fotor.jpg.02014d29f4b452b847a8fe433dfb4cc1.jpg

Read a tutorial yesterday about plug wires.  Used Tamyia hollow tubing for the ends, instead of wire insulation.  Did use white wire insulation at the plug end.  Made loom holders from aluminum printing plate.  Here is the cluttered bench with materials and tools used:
IMG_1349_Fotor.jpg.51afcf43c6d4e24ac39707bf6ab932a7.jpg

Had to glue the headers on, painted 'leather' and sprinkled baking soda on it.
IMG_1350_Fotor.jpg.945adc8381db650ae9dd577a957daf26.jpg

Made generic accessory brackets from the same aluminum, added some photo-etch nuts just because I have them.  Also made a thermostat housing, which aims the hose out correctly (copper wire is temporary), the kit hose is wrong.
IMG_1351_Fotor.jpg.ff519e483ba2fa1279904d17fd4fac6d.jpg

Also turned the vacuum advance thingie, and oil filler cap.  Put two clamps on the distributor made from aluminum plate.  The last loom part is still on the plate.
IMG_1352_Fotor.jpg.f4d93472958d20a24182dcaa2fa12916.jpg

Used the drill press to turn the 1 ton brake booster out of Corian.  Roughed out with the Dremel, used a worn #11 blade, file, sandpaper, steel wool.  Airbrushed silver and set aside for much later.
IMG_1354_Fotor.jpg.ea8dd93ec9f79ec5e19408a84eebbe52.jpg

Does anyone *really* like doing plugs wires?  ?  Even though it's on a stand, practically worn the paint off.  There is half-baked construction, but good enough for government work.  Good thing the wires are asbestos.  ?
IMG_1355_Fotor.jpg.2501dec3b138c0dac62f426cf330d431.jpg
IMG_1357_Fotor.jpg.3f53ce3dab09fe2e66614fa829a42d25.jpg

Even though the rest of the engine bay, and especially the chassis, is hardly accurate or detailed, figured having the dolled up engine would juice up the build.  It was also rehearsal for the V-12 on the other project.

Started on the interior.  Seems to be snowballing......
Amusing to see there is detail on the ceiling, which is something that's never done now.  I think it's different than base level, but I'm not changing anything.  There are also sun visors.  Then the glass goes over it.  ?  Will cut that apart with the hot-wire.
IMG_1359_Fotor.jpg.e133a37d6696cc585a597aecee9b249c.jpg

Dash is too low for my taste, needs to be raised over 1/16".  The Green Barge did not have the 4 lower gauges, and the glovebox was not textured.  I'm entertaining the idea of opening the glovebox, since it's missing the upper edge anyway.  There is a heater box under the dash that could be added.  The round vents on the ends, and top of dash could use detail.
IMG_1360_Fotor.jpg.c7261bb564f4b13367a0e334975563d1.jpg

Cut the interior apart with the hot-wire.  The plastic is super thick!  Ground off the molded on pedals.  The steel door panels could probably use the custom grill for the ribbed part.  The floor goes to the back of the cab, am planning to glue on a ledge in the cab behind the seat.  Anyone want those seats?
IMG_1361_Fotor.jpg.1d7f2cb629b8fd0074266f303083f3f5.jpg
IMG_9165_Fotor.thumb.jpg.0c8ee4300ec58ce2d5c1dc68d599c3e8.jpg

The chassis has a noticeable warp, might have to run hot water over it and bend.
IMG_1362_Fotor.jpg.beed9e6c565b75e92bdbd8a44616772c.jpg

31 minutes ago, slusher said:

How do you make the exhaust manifolds look rusty?

Oh, thanks for noticing, forgot to say that I sprinkled baking soda on the wet paint.  When I weather everything, was hoping the Dullcoat/dust would subdue the white crystals.

I would call this break eggs to make an omelet stage.  Used the hot-wire to cut apart the custom grill, to use for the door panels, and the driving lights.
IMG_1376_Fotor.jpg.48bc21565ba084851501721bda968d4f.jpg

Also cut apart the glass with the wire cutter.  Started fabricating the interior.  Experimented denting the bed floor, which was pretty rough from working on a ranch.  The Corian brake booster is painted.  Cut out a window crank.
IMG_1384_Fotor.jpg.f5b9f55297a6dcbe4af01229de86c301.jpg

Well shoot, now I feel stupid. ?  *After* wrecking that custom grill, find out it's way too small, so now for plan B.  Measured my '68 today, while it's daytime (I've been going out at night to look at the engine ?), and made scale drawings.  Found out the tailgate is wrong, narrower and taller than the real thing.
IMG_1397_Fotor.jpg.afc8f8cd55b094692ae07fb181b42494.jpg

Example of research photo, with the tape measure.  This '68 has mid-level trim across the top of the tailgate, which was not on the '69, and I replaced the taillight trim with "wrong" full surround (had only one that goes around the outside) because it was cheap, and looks better.  Otherwise, measured and drew out the CHEVROLET, which will be fun to replicate.  The taillights are completely wrong on the kit, which bugs me more than anything. ?
IMG_1393_Fotor.jpg.ce9f170300cfcd990afbc90596f18a06.jpg

Cut out the seat (and heater not shown) from Corian, using the table saw.
IMG_1398_Fotor.jpg.e4277dbd893360773f07efa8fbd9f75c.jpg