Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT - 1969 Chevrolet pickup: The Green Barge

I love all the little detail extras here. Besides the model kit on the seat, the partially rolled up passenger window, Regan bumper sticker to the aged license plate and the condition of the bed of course.  

7 hours ago, espo said:

I love all the little detail extras here. Besides the model kit on the seat, the partially rolled up passenger window, Regan bumper sticker to the aged license plate and the condition of the bed of course.  

Oh good, you spotted the model box! ?  Check out my final details.  Yes this is ....

DONE!

I went out to my patio and picked up some exfoliated flagstone.  Made the pallet from some scrap Alder which has a fine grain that is to scale (unlike Pine or Cedar).  That truck helped me build my undocumented wife's flagstone patio.  Also glued the mirrors on, used AAA Insurance sticker for the mirror face.  The very last detail was to flatten the tires.
IMG_7678_Fotor.thumb.jpg.c05caf6a82adb9126d5383f3b5501d7a.jpg
IMG_1944_Fotor.jpg.b9e2aae11f7e7d66f3da0fa7dd62a0ee.jpg

Oops, not having a spare tire is driving me crazy now, was thinking of asking Fireball Modelworks if I can get only one wheel, he has some other cool parts that I'm tempted to get anyway. ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Wow! ? that looks exactly like the real truck!

? I tried!

When I was packing up the box with left-over parts, discovered I forgot to put the dipstick back in!  Impossible now, the real thing bends a lot.  Also got the owner's manual on the seat.

IMG_1956_Fotor.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure nobody else has this problem, of finishing a model, then having something bug you and wish you did it, and finally get around to doing that thing just to get that little voice "you won't be happy unless you do that" out of your head.  In this case, I didn't have the spare tire, which has a story behind it.  Ordered more rims from Fireball Motorworks, since I wanted some other items he makes anyways.  Drilled out the center hole and lug nut holes.  Modified a kit inner wheel by Dremel grinding out the center. Carefully used the Dremel to grind out one side of the kit tire to fit the slot mag rim.  Made a simple mount, which has a photo-etch nut holding the wheel.  Also added a valve stem.  Even buggered up the rim just like the real thing. ?
IMG_2159_Fotor.jpg.360205a6bf21d182642f3c03f47b653c.jpg
IMG_2161_Fotor.jpg.6a941e195091a69355c54b1f0c315a79.jpg

NOW can say it's done.  No, really. ?

On 4/21/2020 at 6:30 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

You're right Kurt!  There's always a small last detail that need to be done to clear your head!

The extra time invested was certainly insignifiant anyway and worth it when you have made all this good work on this build!  Well done sir!!!

You suffer too, good to know. ?  Thank you.

1 hour ago, peekay said:

Excellent detailing all round, eg. those mirrors - fantastic!

Thank you.  Try as I may, broke one when taking pictures for Desert Scale Classic.  All I wanted was hood closed shot.

34 i.jpg

• 1 year later...

Nice work on this one Kurt! The 67-72 GM trucks are a favorite of mine. I have built a few of them &

still have 8 boxed kits & a ton of junkers to build some day.

I like your work on making the taillights more like the way they should be along with all the other mods

you did to correct a bad kit! Keep up the good work! Brad

13 hours ago, Lordmodelbuilder said:

Nice work on this one Kurt! The 67-72 GM trucks are a favorite of mine. I have built a few of them &

still have 8 boxed kits & a ton of junkers to build some day.

I like your work on making the taillights more like the way they should be along with all the other mods

you did to correct a bad kit! Keep up the good work! Brad

Hello, I haven't been active for awhile, thank you for the comment.  I have 2 more of these kits too, that were never started like this one.  Someday I may do my '68.

3 hours ago, Zippi said:

I'm into trucks myself and all the detail work looks great.  This was some nice reading material. 

Much appreciated.

2 hours ago, Mike C. said:

That is some really amazing work. Great patina! 👍

Thanks to you too!

Since I'm here, pleased to announce that I received a First Place in the Phoenix IPMS contest a few weekends ago.  It beat out my Ferrari NART Spyder.

IMG_2826.thumb.jpg.2a2fffd2de891e7516b3a1a664b5b299.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Kurt! I had missed this build first time around. I will spend some time this weekend having a close look thru the thread. Your builds are always full of creative ideas. Hope you are well sir, look forward to you being “active” again. 

Cheers, Steve