Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modern vs Older Trucks

For a long time, I've felt that the modern autos lack the individuality that they had back in the 50's, 60's and 70's.  Each year there were changes, some bigger than others but in my younger days, I knew each year for each make and model as they all had differences.  Now, most autos look the same and don't change much at all from year to year.  I know the economics of it, that's not the point.  Trucks never changed year to year like the cars did but they did differ enough so you could tell them apart.  It seems that the modern trucks lack the personality of the older ones and liike the cars most look alike.  Could be I'm in denial as I get older and want to stay stuck in the earlier times....

I offer this as a point of conversation and discussion.

Edited by Warren D

You're not wrong. Today aerodynamics drives so much of vehicle design that it's hard to have truly distinctive styling. They try to spice it up with lines and vents and gills and grilles but there's only so much they can do. That's why I really don't care if they ever make another kit of a new truck, there are two dozen old trucks I'd rather have over anything recent. 

I think it's a generational thing. I'm in my mid-40s. At a glance, I can tell the difference between the modern trucks. But stick an old style truck in front of me, and if I can't see an emblem or the headlights, I have no idea.

So in my eyes, the new stuff is far more unique than the old.

And yes, the new trucks all have a certain look, but that's based on the accepted shape of a modern truck. The old ones were no better, same basic design regardless of brand.

7 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I think it's a generational thing. I'm in my mid-40s. At a glance, I can tell the difference between the modern trucks. But stick an old style truck in front of me, and if I can't see an emblem or the headlights, I have no idea.

So in my eyes, the new stuff is far more unique than the old.

And yes, the new trucks all have a certain look, but that's based on the accepted shape of a modern truck. The old ones were no better, same basic design regardless of brand.

I'm only 38, I know my comment sounded old though. I can tell the difference in new trucks but they're just not stylistically interesting to me. It's not just trucks, most new cars don't do anything for me either. 

3 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

You're not wrong. Today aerodynamics drives so much of vehicle design that it's hard to have truly distinctive styling. They try to spice it up with lines and vents and gills and grilles but there's only so much they can do. That's why I really don't care if they ever make another kit of a new truck, there are two dozen old trucks I'd rather have over anything recent. 

X2! .I'm afraid the future is just going to get worse,  I wont even mention the telsa big rig, which may not even have a driver.. I prefer the mechanical look of the past,  the lubefiner hanging off the cab with oil hoses, west coast type mirrors with all the brackets, and turn signal lamps bolted to the tops of front fenders. Needless to say, I won't be in the market for any modern big rig, my money will go towards reissues or never been done before 50's thru 70's trucks.

4 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

same basic design regardless of brand

Alrighty then,  because  IH trucks from the 60's to early 1990's had a distinct look  compared to those of Ford, KW, Mack, Peterbilt, White, Freightliner GMC , And Chevy

1 9670.jpg

1 trans 4270.jpg

DSC00104 (1).JPG

1 Paystar 5000.jpg

I knew my opinions would fire someone up. ?

Same basic design. Hide the headlights and logos, and in my mind, these are virtually indistinguishable. As I said above.

001-fl.jpg.3032910ebd4e4db0b4bc34be0809572f.jpg

001-kw.jpg.820d535af4a981afe8e36009856c0f89.jpg

001-m.jpg.0dedb58290784fa8cc25a56985bdf0a2.jpg

001-marmon.jpg.a492eae50e5ff6a2856c2c443c3f03dc.jpg

001-pb.jpg.520163dff62845f4900a8749a72f95bf.jpg

001-ws.jpg.518b2589f158710f561c3c21d01c588f.jpg

Cabovers are the same. Hide the emblem and the headlights, and that same basic design of a cube on a frame is there.

002-fl.jpg.2ba5927164f457d9755a18e6bdb481dc.jpg

002-kw.jpg.9a2ea380f8b63f1de9bc6fd98b8f79a8.jpg

002-mack.thumb.jpg.acfa34da3670327b5c9759294eff3fae.jpg

002-marmon.jpg.bf7c99fec825c9073661c6eea99034c0.jpg

002-pb.jpg.d185a2e9cd7a31d3e43e80a2ff3882f0.jpg

002-white.thumb.jpg.08b16d6f111869390e8af5ea8d882ab9.jpg

002-ws.jpg.237d6a2b86e23f0a4f62cbb7a2bda271.jpg

I'm not saying new trucks don't have a certain shape, but I find them easier to tell apart than the old ones.

003-fl.jpg.648bd5c46d36a27aa49e6fae13ff4eff.jpg

003-volvo.jpg.c54681a68fe96547bc58585f76093995.jpg

003-kw.jpg.ab4df109b8232791eeb79e07a9a41813.jpg

003-pb.jpg.36488e146847cd55055aac89c68169f8.jpg

003-macka.jpg.bff7846f87cb8c2b682f1bff8944fc05.jpg

Just to add another thought into the discussion, I presume its the same in the States as here in Europe, it is the diminishing amount of heavy truck manufactures, here in Europe now we are down to just seven major truck constructors which is bound to limit different stiles, and it is true that streamlining means that they do all look very similar, its just the way it is now.

1 hour ago, CRUSADER2 said:

Just to add another thought into the discussion, I presume its the same in the States as here in Europe, it is the diminishing amount of heavy truck manufactures, here in Europe now we are down to just seven major truck constructors which is bound to limit different stiles, and it is true that streamlining means that they do all look very similar, its just the way it is now.

Good point. 

7 hours ago, CRUSADER2 said:

To add to that, due to length regulations and demand they almost exclusively do cabovers here in Europe, I don't know of any conventionals made now.
Like the US manufacturers, they only do conventionals as there is no demand for COE's anymore.

Edited by Force

I have always liked to older trucks looks myself...same for the other vehicles made.  I think the very late 50s through mid 70s era had some of the best looking and classy vehicles made.   I also lost interest in Nascar for the same reason...when everything looked the same it seemed there was no point to me and lost its luster.    I also think when many iconic vehicle went to front wheel drive they lost theirs as well or at least to me.    As for big trucks I love the older ones for their brute power look.   

23 hours ago, Warren D said:

For a long time, I've felt that the modern autos lack the individuality that they had back in the 50's, 60's and 70's.  Each year there were changes, some bigger than others but in my younger days, I knew each year for each make and model as they all had differences.  Now, most autos look the same and don't change much at all from year to year.  I know the economics of it, that's not the point.  Trucks never changed year to year like the cars did but they did differ enough so you could tell them apart.  It seems that the modern trucks lack the personality of the older ones and liike the cars most look alike.  Could be I'm in denial as I get older and want to stay stuck in the earlier times....

I offer this as a point of conversation and discussion.

It think so too. It might also be because they bring back memories of trucks I knew, but I do older trucks amost exclusively.

DSC_0223.JPG

Nov 28 15 (5).JPG

Apr 12 16 (8).JPG

DSC_0211.JPG

DSC_0255.JPG

DSC_0276.JPG

On 1/17/2020 at 8:20 AM, Warren D said:

For a long time, I've felt that the modern autos lack the individuality that they had back in the 50's, 60's and 70's.  Each year there were changes, some bigger than others but in my younger days, I knew each year for each make and model as they all had differences.  Now, most autos look the same and don't change much at all from year to year. 

The funny thing is, car writers have been saying this exact thing for decades.  I have come across writings in the '50s stating the "all cars today look alike" sentiment.

The other thing about the "all cars look alike today" line is that it forgets those that have dared to stand out and then get slammed for being "ugly", such as the much-maligned Cybertruck. 

Also, note that trucks can look similar since they often shared components such as cabs across divisions or even among competitors.  There's even badge-engineering with trucks as with automobiles.  A given truck can be offered under a number of different nameplates (such as the Sprinter vans and those cute little Japanese-sourced COEs marketed as Chevys, etc.), and this has been going on for decades.  And then truck manufacturers themselves have been bought and sold over the years, and merged in with others around the globe. 

21 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

The funny thing is, car writers have been saying this exact thing for decades.  I have come across writings in the '50s stating the "all cars today look alike" sentiment.

The other thing about the "all cars look alike today" line is that it forgets those that have dared to stand out and then get slammed for being "ugly", such as the much-maligned Cybertruck. 

Also, note that trucks can look similar since they often shared components such as cabs across divisions or even among competitors.  There's even badge-engineering with trucks as with automobiles.  A given truck can be offered under a number of different nameplates (such as the Sprinter vans and those cute little Japanese-sourced COEs marketed as Chevys, etc.), and this has been going on for decades.  And then truck manufacturers themselves have been bought and sold over the years, and merged in with others around the globe. 

Very wise words.

I see your point, but that's a little different story though. New Blazer vs old Blazer. Completely different decades, completely different vehicle designed for completely different reasons. 

Kind of like the Dodge Ramcharger of the 60s and the Dodge Ramchargers of the 70s and 80s.

Or the Jeep Cherokee, with four vastly different redesigns over the decades.

58 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I see your point, but that's a little different story though. New Blazer vs old Blazer. Completely different decades, completely different vehicle designed for completely different reasons. 

Kind of like the Dodge Ramcharger of the 60s and the Dodge Ramchargers of the 70s and 80s.

Or the Jeep Cherokee, with four vastly different redesigns over the decades.

Yeah, I see your point. I guess what I meant was that I can't tell new vehicles apart from each other. I could with older vehicles

When I was a preteen in the 70's, I could name just about every car on the road by sight.  The imports at that time were trickier because there were fewer of them on the road, but over time, I could name the bulk of them too.  When my attention shifted to trucks, I could do the same.  This is because I was a kid with time on my hands and these subjects interested me, so I spent the time learning.  Fast forward 30 + years and I could do the same today if I put the time and effort into it.  The thing is that my time is consumed by other things, and I see little reward in spending the time learning the cars and trucks all over again.  The bottom line is I grew up.  I have a feeling I am not alone in this regard.

On 1/23/2020 at 2:00 PM, Jim N said:

When I was a preteen in the 70's, I could name just about every car on the road by sight.  The imports at that time were trickier because there were fewer of them on the road, but over time, I could name the bulk of them too.  When my attention shifted to trucks, I could do the same.  This is because I was a kid with time on my hands and these subjects interested me, so I spent the time learning.  Fast forward 30 + years and I could do the same today if I put the time and effort into it.  The thing is that my time is consumed by other things, and I see little reward in spending the time learning the cars and trucks all over again.  The bottom line is I grew up.  I have a feeling I am not alone in this regard.

Same for me, as a kid I worked harder to learn them, as an adult, there’s other things that demand my time. That, combined with the power of nostalgia, makes most of the new stuff not as interesting to me.