Model Cars Magazine Forum

65 Ford Galaxie R Code or XL...need advice.

Brutalform

7 hours ago, Brutalform said:

Where did you get a body with a closed trunk?

this kit has the closed trunk. its a 66 though.

20200117_202759-1.jpg

I've got this glue bomb. i also have the kit with open trunk. here is the glue bomb with closed trunk. plan is to do a rebuild one day.

20200117_202851.jpg

Edited by Scott8950

Brutalform wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up. I’m glad the body is good to go. 

If I can ask you another question? Would the R Code with the XL trim level either have a bench seat or buckets with a console? 

The XL trim level wich came for the 1962 model year includes a more blingy interior with bucket seats and center console, the lower level 500 has bench.
XL was top of the line until the LTD came.

Edited by Force

This should help under the hood. Black engine, aluminum intake.

Related image

R code XL's would have bucket seats and poverty caps were standard. Good there.

The one thing not addressed is all R code 65's had headlight covers. So to be correct, you will need to fabricated them.

65ford64971-2.jpg

Edited by Sledsel

42 minutes ago, Sledsel said:

This should help under the hood. Black engine, aluminum intake.

Related image

R code XL's would have bucket seats and poverty caps were standard. Good there.

The one thing not addressed is all R code 65's had headlight covers. So to be correct, you will need to fabricated them.

65ford64971-2.jpg

Thanks for the additional information. 

My brother had a powder blue 65, with a 390. And it had the glass covers in the trunk in an original “Ford” cardboard box. If I remember correctly, they were a $700 option. 

Im sure those covers weren’t available for the 390 car, but, I’m thinking the original owner had an option to buy these covers, and the bill of sale was in the glovebox and  had it listed on it.,

Not totally sure but for some reason $700 is in my memory. I think $700 would be a pretty hefty price in 65. 

I can't help with the correct spec of R Code models, but I'd like to say this project is looking good! Great idea with those headlights, and removing that exhaust is a good move too. I have this kit on my work bench right now, so will be watching your progress with interest.

With regards to the clear headlamp covers, its something I was thinking of creating by vac forming.

1 minute ago, beeRS said:

I can't help with the correct spec of R Code models, but I'd like to say this project is looking good! Great idea with those headlights, and removing that exhaust is a good move too. I have this kit on my work bench right now, so will be watching your progress with interest.

With regards to the clear headlamp covers, its something I was thinking of creating by vac forming.

Thanks 

I don’t have a way to vacuum form those covers. 

I always wanted to build one of these since I saw a 4 door version painted a color similar to this one. 

I think it might be the only one in existence. 

BrutalForm, your post couldn't have come at a better time, as I am going to be doing a very similar project starting with swapping the R-code engine from the '60 Skyliner into an otherwise stock '65 Galaxie.  It'll be billed as an owner's attempt to get more power as opposed to a numbers-matching factory product. (I like 'em, but I couldn't replicate those headlight covers at gunpoint). 

Here are a few areas where I wouldn't mind some input from you or the other members.  

1) I'll be watching as you guys remove the exhaust systems from your cars.  I know the RPMs are usually higher than what we want for plastic, but would a Dremel be worth using for knocking off most of the exhaust?  If not, what would work best?

2) This'll sound a little silly, but I'm curious how much difference in color you guys are making between, say, the inner fenders and the engine itself.  Some pictures I've seen indicate both are semi-gloss variants.  If Ford used different shades, I'd like that to be evident.

Glad to see someone else addressing the headlight issue.  Why AMT chose to make mounting rings that rise above the bezels I'll never know.  I do know they look ridiculous when you build it that way 'cuz I built my first one that way when I was 12.  Maybe someone at  AMT liked Bugeye Sprites... 

1882801180_65Galaxie.jpg.77d8a2838420d5ec570665c49d2d8e63.jpg 

TIA for any advice, and I'll keep watching yours as I'm excited to what you can do with it.

Edited by Monty

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

BrutalForm, your post couldn't have come at a better time, as I am going to be doing a very similar project starting with swapping the R-code engine from the '60 Skyliner into an otherwise stock '65 Galaxie.  

Here are a few areas where I wouldn't mind some input from you or the other members.  

1) I'll be watching as you guys remove the exhaust systems from your cars.  I know the RPMs are usually higher than what we want for plastic, but would a Dremel be worth using for knocking off most of the exhaust?  If not, what would work best?

2) This'll sound a little silly, but I'm curious how much difference in color you guys are making between, say, the inner fenders and the engine itself.  Some pictures I've seen indicate both are semi-gloss variants.  If Ford used different shades, I'd like that to be evident.

Glad to see someone else addressing the headlight issue.  Why AMT chose to make mounting rings that rise above the bezels I'll never know.  I do know they look ridiculous when you build it that way 'cuz I built my first one that way when I was 12.  Maybe someone at  AMT liked Bugeye Sprites... 

1882801180_65Galaxie.jpg.77d8a2838420d5ec570665c49d2d8e63.jpg 

TIA for any advice, and I'll keep watching yours as I'm excited to what you can do with it.

Inner fenders on fords from the farctory were a semi-gloss black

As for removing the exhaust, I have not done the 65, but did a 55 Chevy... A lot of trimming with a knife and then careful sanding left me with good results.

Inner fenders on Fords from the factory were a semi-gloss black.

I used the Dremel on low speed to cut out the pipes and mufflers. I’m playing around with the Starliner exhaust, as a template, figuring out where it it needs to be cut, and to have some mufflers replaced. Most likely aluminum tube will be the new exhaust. 

Im working on the firewall, and mocking up the engine. Using a TBolt intake, I had to drill holes everywhere, for the heat riser tube on the drivers side, the heater hoses, water pump, and upper radiator hose. It gets tight with the oil filler tube, and the fuel rail and fuel line. Still have to figure out where the heater hose will end up on the intake. It won’t be in the correct spot as there isn’t much room. 

As far as the black on the engine, it will be Tamiya semi gloss black. 

Edited by Brutalform

3 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

You have done a really good job on those Galaxie headlights, Tom....... it would be a shame to cover them up with those optional headlamp covers..... maybe leave them in the trunk, in a Ford cardboard box?  ( 1:25 scale cardboard box, of course! )

David

I lost one of the clear head lights. And they just so happen to be smaller than any other head light I have. So.... I stole four new ones from the Moebius Comet kit. They don’t look as nice as the Galaxie lights but they will work out I suppose. 

I still have to shape the styrene patchwork and add putty and more sanding on the floor and firewall. 

I literally spent hours at the bench today and it seems only very little got done. But I don’t want to rush it. 

50870A48-4B9A-4BF0-BB55-8D3494FB65F1.jpeg

8950CFE6-B019-4162-A4F4-DD78604573BA.jpeg

68E3665A-1C5C-49FC-8CB0-0657FE51252E.jpeg

On 1/18/2020 at 7:27 AM, Brutalform said:

Also I was checking out your build. Looking real nice. I hope my floor comes out as nice as yours did after you removed the exhaust system.,

Thanks, but it looks like you've already done a really clean job of removing the exhausts. I did mine entirely with a Xacto knife, and it left a lot of scratches in the floor that needed filling.

• 2 weeks later...