Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 1966 F-100 Styleside.....My Take..

thatz4u

Just opened the box, & dug out the parts....could not fit them all back in. I was very happy to see all of the extra stuff that was in the kit!!! Included were the usual parts to build the truck, PLUS nice slotted mags, 4 sets of dog dish caps, extra parts from the bumpside kit. Step bumper, tailgate, underhood pieces, etc...Overall it looks to be a very nice kit, & has enough leftovers to restock my parts box.

66 styleside.jpg

Yeah...got one and the regular bed earlier this week too, both look great and glad that they stopped clipping off all those extra (not needed) parts, which are  remains from a not so efficient tool design, but they're still a young company ;)

Can't wait to see what's up next from Dave M.

I often thought that it might have cost more for Moebius to remove the extra parts from the chrome trees after being molded, but before plating, than including them for modelers to use, or add to their parts boxes.  It looks like with the 60's Ford pickups they decided to leave the extra, unused parts on the trees.  For the price point, the extra parts are a bonus and welcome addition for use with other builds. I know those extra exterior rear view mirrors will make their way onto other builds/rebuilds.  Thanks Moebius.

Just my thoughts,

A.J.

10 hours ago, maxwell48098 said:

I often thought that it might have cost more for Moebius to remove the extra parts from the chrome trees after being molded, but before plating, than including them for modelers to use, or add to their parts boxes.  It looks like with the 60's Ford pickups they decided to leave the extra, unused parts on the trees.  For the price point, the extra parts are a bonus and welcome addition for use with other builds. I know those extra exterior rear view mirrors will make their way onto other builds/rebuilds.  Thanks Moebius.

Just my thoughts,

A.J.

Not only that, but in a production environment it's not impossible that someone on the packaging line, clips of the wrong parts!

On 1/27/2020 at 7:13 PM, thatz4u said:

Let us know about the extra parts in the long bed version, Geoff

Haven't ordered them yet, in fact I haven't had chance to do any modelling done for the last few weeks as I'm living temporary away from home, and no where to do any in the flat down in London.

They are very modular; if you want a particular version they haven't sold (yet), you can always put together two kits.  Smart marketing on their part plus everyone gets all the pieces they need for their own personal holy grail truck.  I wonder if they might not at some point put out some engine-only kits - have a box with nothing in it but all the different V8 and I6 (and maybe even diesel) engines these trucks used, all the variant air cleaners and transmissions.  Add some go-fast stuff like headers, maybe a supercharger or two, like the Revell Parts Pack motors.  For myself, I'm looking forward to a real F250 4x4, other 4x4's, bigger tires and duels.  And sooner or later a wrecker body and an ambulance.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2020 at 7:20 PM, Loncray said:

They are very modular; if you want a particular version they haven't sold (yet), you can always put together two kits.  Smart marketing on their part plus everyone gets all the pieces they need for their own personal holy grail truck.  I wonder if they might not at some point put out some engine-only kits - have a box with nothing in it but all the different V8 and I6 (and maybe even diesel) engines these trucks used, all the variant air cleaners and transmissions.  Add some go-fast stuff like headers, maybe a supercharger or two, like the Revell Parts Pack motors.  For myself, I'm looking forward to a real F250 4x4, other 4x4's, bigger tires and duels.  And sooner or later a wrecker body and an ambulance.

email the idea to Moebius, they may consider it.....

1 hour ago, thatz4u said:

email the idea to Moebius, they may consider it.....

Parts pack cost the same shipping and packaging wise, so for a few bucks more one can buy a std. kit

IMHO they could show the endless possibilities mixing and matching in their instructions sheets, promoting the other kits in their lineup

I agree that promoting the Mix & Match options on the instruction sheets, would be far more cost effective than parts packs. Even a separate insert showing how to get a specific truck, and what kits you'd need to build it, would be nice.

I'd like to build a V-8 Powered, 4x4, Utility Bed truck someday.

I just finished up the '65 long bed, also have '66 shorty in my pile.  Pilfered the grille from shorty to make 66 long bed.  They both appear to be the same except for grille and bed length.  3 mirror options, 2 transmissions, outer tailgate skins, etc.  Nice kit overall, builds up nice. Don't know if this is the right place for this, but would like to give a shout out to Moebius for their customer service.  When unpacking the kit I noticed one headlight was missing from sprue.  I emailed them with a photo, didn't hear back for about 10 days. Got a reply back,  they apologized for the mishap and sent me a replacement part at no charge. Didn't even ask me to cover postage. I would have been willing to since it wasn't really their fault, just one of those things.  Can't beat that.  002r.jpg.cb9a719f793dc52c0946bfa030c711c5.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2020 at 1:04 PM, Luc Janssens said:

Parts pack cost the same shipping and packaging wise, so for a few bucks more one can buy a std. kit

IMHO they could show the endless possibilities mixing and matching in their instructions sheets, promoting the other kits in their lineup

On 3/6/2020 at 1:54 PM, alexis said:

I agree that promoting the Mix & Match options on the instruction sheets, would be far more cost effective than parts packs. Even a separate insert showing how to get a specific truck, and what kits you'd need to build it, would be nice.

I'd like to build a V-8 Powered, 4x4, Utility Bed truck someday.

I totally agree