Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk - Class of '56 - Graduate #17

Ramfins59

This is a '56 Studebaker Golden Hawk that I finally finished this afternoon.  It fought me at the end but I got it all together and am very happy to be done with this car.  I believe this completes my collection of American made cars for 1956... a total of 17 cars.  At some point I will post pictures of all 17 cars.  I built this car using an AMT promo combined with the interior, front glass, and wheels from an AMT 1953 Studebaker kit.  The interior doesn't fit "perfectly" and the promo chassis doesn't fit "perfectly", but it will do, and I'm happy that it's done.  The colors are Tamiya red and pure white.

Thanks for looking in on this, and, as always, any and all comments are welcomed.

HPIM5410.JPG

HPIM5411.JPG

HPIM5412.JPG

HPIM5413.JPG

HPIM5414.JPG

HPIM5388 (1).JPG

HPIM5388.JPG

HPIM5391.JPG

HPIM5392.JPG

HPIM5389.JPG

• Like 1

Rich, you've just built one of my favorite Studes! I like all of the Hawks, but especially the '56-'58 ones as those were one of those "first seen" cars when I first knew what a car was. :D

I've got a resin one of these but I don't remember who made it. R&R?? Needs some work to be correct, but it's among my favorites as far as kits go.

Hawks would be the first of what would come to be known as the "personal car". You could argue that Studebaker started the segment with the original '53 Starliner. It would be a few years later that Ford would play catch up with their T-Bird as they daren't call the two seater a "sports car". Then the four place '58's would cement the personal car segment for the 'Bird and of course in the '60's, that segment would explode!

I'd sure love to see the likes of Moebius or someone offer a series of Hawks starting with the '56's. Of course there were the larger finned cars of '57-'61 and then the squared off '62's. But the basic lines were there through all those years. I'd think it would be a good seller, but I'm not in the board room making those choices! :P

Thank you all so very much for your kind comments.

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Nice job Rich!  I look forward to seeing the entire class!

Tom, I'm working up to posting pics of my entire "Class of '56"  I'll most likely do it in several posts to avoid any posting problems due to a large amount of pictures.

1 minute ago, Ramfins59 said:

Thank you all so very much for your kind comments.

Tom, I'm working up to posting pics of my entire "Class of '56"  I'll most likely do it in several posts to avoid any posting problems due to a large amount of pictures.

It might be nice to do some group shots...  that could reduce down the number of photos for a post...