Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Rodder's Journal?

A few years ago, I lost High Performance Pontiac. The publisher automatically switched me to Motor Trend. (Why would I want to read about somebody swooning over the number of cupholders in the latest "crossover") I had to call them to get my remaining subscription switched to Mopar Muscle. That was fine but now they have cancelled that AND Car Craft right after pestering me to resub to both. My wife did the resubs as that's all I wanted for Christmas. I actually had to call them and get a refund. On top of that, they signed her up for Motor Trend On Demand and she had 2 months of subscription charges for that without even knowing. ($4.99 per moth for the rest of your life). They didn't even have a number to call. I had to send an email to get that cancelled. Fortunately they responded right away and refunded all of it. If my cable bill gets too high, I will seriously consider Motor Trend On Demand. But not unless I can get it on my TV screen. I do not want to watch shows sitting in a computer chair in front of the PC.

Guys....all of you who have received the offer from TEN for digital subscriptions for the remaining portions of your subscriptions to Hot Rod DeLuxe, Street Rodder, Muscle Car Review, and the like....please be aware that you have ANOTHER option which they cleverly failed to convey to you. 

Call the number at the bottom of the notice for customer service and DEMAND a full refund check for the value of your remaining subscription period that you paid for.  This id the clearest way of saying to TEN and the new owners of the now-discontinued titles that you strongly disapprove of their decision to drop this titles (which were, I am told by insiders, still profitable), and that (if you are like me) you have no used for digital subscriptions in their place. 

Best....TIM 

On 1/18/2020 at 5:33 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

But the mags are going AWAY...not just going to a digital format.

There are MANY more people in the country than ever before, but far FEWER real hardcore dirty-hands car enthusiasts.

Just as the percentage of drivers who can operate a manual gearbox is declining every year (in 2017 it was down to less than 20%), the percentage of the population that would even think working on a car was something they might like to do is dropping rapidly. I'm in the industry. Even though a good mechanic or bodyman/painter can still make high five- to low six-figure incomes, we have NO entry level folks coming in. 

I agree.  The manual gearbox issue is frustrating to me.  It's hard to find a new car that even has it as an option.  Even then, you usually have to order it as dealers won't stock them.  Couple that with people that just aren't even interested in driving or even owning a car. 

As to mechanics/bodymen, it seems all the trades are suffering from a lack of new entrants.  Plumbing, welding, etc.  So much emphasis on college and tech for the younger crowd is stifling the fields where we have so much need for new blood.  

On 1/18/2020 at 9:32 PM, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Just saw a Traditional Rod and Kultrure mag on the racks today. Is that one going away as well?

What???? I thought they ceased publication early last year. Now I have to go on the hunt. If this is true that they're still publishing, that's great news!

Edit- Traditional Rod and Kulture Illustrated ceased production after issue 57.

According to this article on the HAMB, a new magazine called Speed and Kulture  is taking it's place. Trying to find a source for it now.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/speed-and-kulture-magazine-traditional-rod-and-kulture.1165943/

Edited by Mr. Metallic
updated information

4 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

What???? I thought they ceased publication early last year. Now I have to go on the hunt. If this is true that they're still publishing, that's great news!

Edit- Traditional Rod and Kulture Illustrated ceased production after issue 57.

According to this article on the HAMB, a new magazine called Speed and Kulture  is taking it's place. Trying to find a source for it now.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/speed-and-kulture-magazine-traditional-rod-and-kulture.1165943/

Incredibly disappointing. I will have to check out Speed and Kulture.

The Rodder's Journal is the best automotive magazine in print.  When they were located in South San Francisco, they would set up a vendors table at the Good Guys show in Pleasanton, CA and sell back issues dirt cheap at $5.00 each.  Now that they have moved their office to the east coast, they are no longer at the Good Guys shows in Pleasanton.  Too bad about the end of all of those car magazines.  I was especially bummed out about Lowrider Magazine.

• 2 months later...
On 1/18/2020 at 12:17 AM, The Junkman said:

Just a question: has The Rodder's Journal gone away?  I had a subscription a long time ago and still pick up issues that interest me but I've not seen it in the bookstores for months.  Real great for inspiration

They haven't gone away. They moved their offices from San Francisco to Virginia and brought their printing back to the United States from overseas. I called them last week, Issue #83 is due to come out soon. They apologized for the delay, it took them longer than they thought to get back up and running. The last issue was #82 Spring 2019. I have a 2 year subscription and they said I will see every issue. Love the magazine, best one out there. Wealth of history, information and inspiration on Hot Rods and Customs, both past and current.

On 1/18/2020 at 3:33 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

But the mags are going AWAY...not just going to a digital format.

There are MANY more people in the country than ever before, but far FEWER real hardcore dirty-hands car enthusiasts.

Just as the percentage of drivers who can operate a manual gearbox is declining every year (in 2017 it was down to less than 20%), the percentage of the population that would even think working on a car was something they might like to do is dropping rapidly. I'm in the industry. Even though a good mechanic or bodyman/painter can still make high five- to low six-figure incomes, we have NO entry level folks coming in. 

Hello, this is very true. We had a I car meeting last summer and Otto from Germany was teaching computers on cars. There was 50 of us and he asked how many are retiring in 5 years or less. 47 raised their  hands. No one new comming in. 

On 1/20/2020 at 10:38 PM, carrucha said:

The Rodder's Journal is the best automotive magazine in print.  When they were located in South San Francisco, they would set up a vendors table at the Good Guys show in Pleasanton, CA and sell back issues dirt cheap at $5.00 each.  Now that they have moved their office to the east coast, they are no longer at the Good Guys shows in Pleasanton.  Too bad about the end of all of those car magazines.  I was especially bummed out about Lowrider Magazine.

You can still get back issues on-line for $5.00. You just have to pay postage. I order 4 a couple of months ago, and with postage, they were about $9.00 each. Still a bargain for what you get.

On 4/14/2020 at 3:09 PM, vintagerpm said:

You can still get back issues on-line for $5.00. You just have to pay postage. I order 4 a couple of months ago, and with postage, they were about $9.00 each. Still a bargain for what you get.

I was not aware of the online price for back issues.  Thanks!

Got my latest issue in the mail yesterday. 

Major feature on the original Uncertain T and the clone built in New Zealand and shown at 2019 SEMA.  And  some new info about Steve Scott and the original car, plus a little new news on the original model kit origins.  

TIM 

• 1 year later...

Dragging this topic back from the dead. Has anyone here who's a subscriber to TRJ or has paid for anything from their store recently received it yet? Since they announced there would be no more news stand sales beginning with #84 I purchased a subscription back in early November 2020. In addition I ordered a number of books and other items for myself and others for Christmas. As you can guess I've not received anything yet (really, after 5 months?) They won't answer emails, nor the phone as the VM is always full and no one picks up. I've filed a dispute with my CC and taken other action but am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

It's too bad, I have every issue since the first however never have subscribed as most magazines I have subscribed to in the past always get damaged by our wonderful USPS. I've always been able to aquire my copies from local book sellers or online vendors that package them well to avoid damage. It's also interesting that instead of posting anything regarding the current state of affairs on their FB page or website they post some feeble excuses on the H.A.M.B.

Sorry for the rant but am very  disappointed with the current situation. 

Edited by Phirewriter

I have not recieved #84 yet and it whould have arrived long time ago...and I'm still a subscriber as far as I know.
I have not ordered anything else tho' and the emails from them with updates has stopped coming wich was quite frequent before.
So I don't know what's going on.

The last issue that I received was #84 in October.  It has the restored Kookie T on the cover. 

edit  --- not complaining or concerned about the next issue being late...  I've had enough magazines that It has happened before with this title when they started out 20 years ago and with other titles along the way as well.  I've even had some close up shop after renewing a subscription.  And I renewed this one two issues ago. I hope they pull it back together.  It's a great magazine.

Edited by Muncie

It is into April....yes its a quarterly but an issue should have been out already this year. I understand their business model. Their operating expenses are based upon newsstand and subscriber sales. Their profit is their ads. COVID would have hit the magazine hard loosing one or maybe two issues of newsstand sales in most states. That could trigger the move to subscriber only model. Almost every magazine I've seen do that has suffered decreased sales as a result. While subscriber sales are more profitable, newsstand sales introduce readers to the magazine. Their blowout prices on eBay for back issues makes me wonder if they're desperately strapped for cash from the COVID shut down of sales. This could have also forced rebates to advertisers due to not enough readership. Print production was behind last summer. Some states considered printing essential and others didn't. Still, a response to its subscribers and updating its webpage and Facebook page would be helpful. I just posted on FB the simple question, "Is the Rodder's Journal dead?" I fear it is. Suggestions for alternative magazines?

As it stands printing for the last/latest issue was done in early fall. As Steve (Muncie) stated above, he's received his issue already so there's no excuses there. Nor is there any excuse for not sending the books, accessories and apparel they indicated via their webstore was in stock and made it into my shopping cart and was subsequently charged for. No backorders for anything was indicated. 

I've ordered plenty of stuff from various online vendors (books, models, car and motorcycle parts  and art supplies) well before and after placing my order and subscription with TRJ and everything has arrived within the designated timeframe indicated from those companies via USPS, FedX and other shippers. Some even quite a bit faster. Therefore as far as I'm concerned the excuse made by TRJ and their interweb defenders are baseless as far as the Covid this and that, bla, bla, bla nonsense they're currently hiding behind. Again not only their lack of any communication through the  numerous channels available to them and their refusal to respond to any inquiries is very troubling and disappointing.

Edited by Phirewriter