Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Nomad

Kruzn

Haven't posted here for a while. Fully recovered from the heart attack/bypass surgery, so back to busy with full-scale projects. Not much time for models at the moment.

However....I just scored this old 1960 Chevy Nomad promo model at an antique store. It is missing the grill and front bumper but it looks like those parts from the Revell 60 Impala will work with a little bit of fitting.

The promo is in excellant condition otherwise. I am not sure of it's value so I am debating a few directions to go with it.

1. Clean up and install the Impala grill/bumper and leave it at that.

2. Clean up then foil the trim, add white stripe on the side, swap out the wheels with the stock Impala kit wheels and wide ww.

3. Use more parts from the Impala kit and do a full "restomod" version.

There are no markings on the chassis to indicate who made this promo, but I suspect AMT.

Comments?

0117201512.jpg.dd1ab43c6a945648241fe7cdcf1b33d0.jpg0117201513.jpg.a8ad8b2d62e2c474ee2ea593d4889848.jpg0117201513a.jpg.9099715d80a2f928b7f55d0ae438a0b0.jpg

I suspect that's an AMT  "Jr. trophy series"  kit from the mid '60s, not a promo. That's probably why it doesn't look like a banana.

Nice score though. A front bumper/grille for that shouldn't be too hard to find.  The Revell parts do look %100 better but night not fit too well.

Boxart '60 Chevy Wagon 04-740 AMT

Edited by Can-Con

26 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

I suspect that's an AMT  "Jr. trophy series"  kit from the mid '60s, not a promo. That's probably why it doesn't look like a banana.

Nice score though. A front bumper/grille for that shouldn't be too hard to find.  The Revell parts do look %100 better but night not fit too well.

Boxart '60 Chevy Wagon 04-740 AMT

I think you may be right. It is in really nice shape. I'm scrubbing the dirt off of it now. It looks like the Revell parts will fit with minimal fitting.

4 minutes ago, BigTallDad said:

That three-lights-per-side rear end doesn't look right; Impalas had 'em, but the other models had two

Related image

That's what I've been finding too. I'll probably just leave the three lights though. It was easy to add extra lights on these cars. I owned a 60 Impala hardtop while in high school. Just for grins, I added a fourth light on each side and converted the backup lights to tail lights also, so I had eight tail lights across the back. Not something I would do today, but I thought it was cool back then!

Thanks for the feedback guys!

My first car was a '60 Biscayne 2-door post, 6cyl, 3-on-tree. I traded it for a '60 Impala hardtop with 283 4bbl, 3-on-floor. So I have a soft spot for '60 Chevys.

I have the Franklin Mint '60 Impala diecast and a couple Revell kits not yet built. Since I like '60 Chevys AND longroofs, I am leaning toward fixing this one up a bit and adding to my collection. It would look good with one of Greenlight's 1/24 campers behind it!

I got the same wagon , well 2 of them really. I rebuilt mine factory  stock. Both has the correct 4 tail lights! If you really want to do a  restro mod I'd just buy a Jimmy flintstone resin copy. Ebay sometimes has the chassis and front bumper/grill for these. Being as old and never reissued  as the model is  I would suggest  keeping it all original, and stock.

1960 chevy wagon 6.JPG

s-l1600 (26).jpg

s-l1600 (27).jpg

s-l1600 (28).jpg

s-l1600 (29).jpg

s-l1600 (30).jpg

Edited by ranma

7 minutes ago, ranma said:

I got the same wagon , well 2 of them really. I rebuilt mine factory  stock. Both has the correct 4 tail lights! If you really want to do a  restro mod I'd just buy a Jimmy flintstone resin copy. Ebay sometimes has the chassis and front bumper/grill for these. Being as old and never reissued  as the model is  I would suggest  keeping it all original, and stock.

As I understand it, the promos had the correct dual tail lights. The AMT Jr. Trophy Series (which mine is) had the incorrect triple lights.

1 hour ago, Kruzn said:

AMT Jr. Trophy Series (which mine is) had the incorrect triple lights.

My two copies are mot promo's but the Craftsman kit's. Why some had the correct tail lights is odd, but then The first issues of the International Transtar II carried the air suspension  from the 4070 kit.