Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lancia -- Stratos and more

dougwintz

I was stationed in England back in the mid 80s. One of the sergeants I worked with had bought a street going Lancia Stratos. I don’t recall much about it other than the fact that I loved the shape of the car. I only saw it a few times and his was the only one that I’ve seen in person. My local hobby store had the RoG kit, which is just a reboxed Hasegawa kit, sitting on the shelf forever. They marked the price down and I scooped it up. I’ve had it for years and finally decided to build it back in November. I finished it last Saturday. I will probably start my own thread in the Workbench section but I think this is a cool idea, Doug, to have a place where everyone can add their Lancia.

i was following your build thread, Doug. I like that you added an engine to them. The RoG kit did not come with one not does any of the body panels open. Both of your Stratos look great! Did you have trouble getting the body over the chassis? 

19 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

I have the Italeri Stratos HF kit in the stash, can do either road or Alitalia rally.  The Beemax kit of the other rally car looks like fun.  Nice collection of *finished* models there!  6th picture down, kit come with treaded tires?

Hi Kurt. Yes, the Stratos' are both Hasegawa and they come with treaded tires. 

1 hour ago, Nacho Z said:

I was stationed in England back in the mid 80s. One of the sergeants I worked with had bought a street going Lancia Stratos. I don’t recall much about it other than the fact that I loved the shape of the car. I only saw it a few times and his was the only one that I’ve seen in person. My local hobby store had the RoG kit, which is just a reboxed Hasegawa kit, sitting on the shelf forever. They marked the price down and I scooped it up. I’ve had it for years and finally decided to build it back in November. I finished it last Saturday. I will probably start my own thread in the Workbench section but I think this is a cool idea, Doug, to have a place where everyone can add their Lancia.

i was following your build thread, Doug. I like that you added an engine to them. The RoG kit did not come with one not does any of the body panels open. Both of your Stratos look great! Did you have trouble getting the body over the chassis? 

Hey Nacho. Thanks for the comment and your suggestion to open up a thread. The Alitalia's engine came from the engine in Fujima's Ferrari Dino GTS. I think it's the same used in the Stratos. The Chardonnet Stratos engine was ordered from Spot Model, they have a vendor called Reji Model that makes the same engine. 

On 1/20/2020 at 3:37 PM, Rich Chernosky said:

Doug..here is a shot of my Lancia collection from one of my display cases. I still have a few more to build including the 1/12 Nitto Alitalia version. I am surprised  at the amount of models  made of this car but after seeing one in person...I can see why. 

DSC00001.JPG

Hey Rich. Wow that's an impressive collection. Do you have a Doyusha 1/12 model in there? If so, double wow, that's like the holy grail! I have another couple of Hasegawa's with different livery. I'll get around to building them someday. Then I have a Fujima 1/20 scale but no engine and the decals are pretty well faded. 

51 minutes ago, dougwintz said:

Hey Rich. Wow that's an impressive collection. Do you have a Doyusha 1/12 model in there? If so, double wow, that's like the holy grail! I have another couple of Hasegawa's with different livery. I'll get around to building them someday. Then I have a Fujima 1/20 scale but no engine and the decals are pretty well faded. 

Doug...the Nitto and Doyusha are the same kit, and yah, I got  one. Had it quite awhile and its started but only the basics.  The Lancia's you see there are in 5 different scales.....1/16, 1/20, 1/24, 1/28, 1/64.

2 minutes ago, dougwintz said:

Amazing. I've been looking for those and the prices are sky high. How is the detail those kits? 

The Enthusiast kits are highly detailed.  I have not built either of these yet but I have built several of the Porsche 911 EM kits.  They can be a little fiddly but it is hard to beat the detail for a mainstream manufacture.  I'll try to post some pictures of the parts trees when I get a chance.