Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Chevelle SS. My first build!!!

oPROJECTMAYHEMo

So first off I'd like to thank the guys that have given me advice in my other topics regarding equipment etc.. I went for a timber tech compressor with tank and an iwata neo airbrush. So far it's been fantastic.

I took the leap and invested in an airbrush and compressor a few days ago and have started on spraying a few parts, mainly the shell of the car.

I wasnt too keen on the black of red suggestion the kit suggested to paint it so I mixed my own and I am going to go with the black stripes provided.

All other pieces are primed so should be able to move along quickly now.

07662_68_chevy_chevelle_ss_396_07.jpg

20200119_154401.jpg

Nice color and good job spraying. Just one suggestion. Your body is turned sideways on your paint stand. Normally the metal springloaded frame sits pressed against the inside of the doors, not up against the windshield and back glass. Not sure if you did it that way for a reason or didn't know.

Later-

11 minutes ago, Modlbldr said:

Nice color and good job spraying. Just one suggestion. Your body is turned sideways on your paint stand. Normally the metal springloaded frame sits pressed against the inside of the doors, not up against the windshield and back glass. Not sure if you did it that way for a reason or didn't know.

Later-

Yes I did it because the wire forms dont seem to be holding the shell very well against the doors. This was the only way I could get it to sit right.

26 minutes ago, oPROJECTMAYHEMo said:

Yes I did it because the wire forms dont seem to be holding the shell very well against the doors. This was the only way I could get it to sit right.

If you look at the sides of the plastic base, there are a number of holes on both sides, which should help you in finding the best distance and tension to hold the body in place. The paint colour looks good.

57 minutes ago, oPROJECTMAYHEMo said:

Sometimes if I'm uncertain, I will tape the body to the stand's holders.  I've had them go  SPRING@!  Off into the muck in the bottom of the paint booth!

You are doing well for your first project!  Go for it!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Glad to hear your compressor and airbrush choices are working so well for you.  I happen to like those cars in red with black stripes, but that gold you're using just pops.  May I ask which specific paint it is (ex: Model Master #1161, etc).

Gonna be following your progress, 'cuz I see a lot of potential here.

26 minutes ago, Monty said:

Glad to hear your compressor and airbrush choices are working so well for you.  I happen to like those cars in red with black stripes, but that gold you're using just pops.  May I ask which specific paint it is (ex: Model Master #1161, etc).

Gonna be following your progress, 'cuz I see a lot of potential here.

My issue with red n black is that it feels a bit too generic. 

I mixed revell enamel paints 94 and 92.

Two parts 94 to one part 92.

20200119_202230.jpg

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Sometimes if I'm uncertain, I will tape the body to the stand's holders.  I've had them go  SPRING@!  Off into the muck in the bottom of the paint booth!

You are doing well for your first project!  Go for it!

Aaaaah I see what you mean. That makes sense. I will later these when doing the next one.

Thank you both. I'm still learning

This is coming together nicely!

One thing I will also mention about those stands that I found out the hard way is the top portion that holds the body will sometimes spontaneously detach itself from from the base!

Especially after you have just sprayed the last coat of what is otherwise a great paint job. And now its ready for the strip tank.

I glued mine on with epoxy so that doesn't happen agian!

I was almost ready to trash that stand and it was the first time I used it.... glad I didn't, as it works well now.

4 hours ago, oPROJECTMAYHEMo said:

My issue with red n black is that it feels a bit too generic. 

I mixed revell enamel paints 94 and 92.

Two parts 94 to one part 92.

20200119_202230.jpg

That's an amazing color you've created, and one of the many reasons I like using airbrushes over rattle cans.  Too bad it's such a pain to get Revell enamels here.  

8 hours ago, Monty said:

That's an amazing color you've created, and one of the many reasons I like using airbrushes over rattle cans.  Too bad it's such a pain to get Revell enamels here.  

Really?

I didnt think it would be something you would struggle to get there.

I can send you some if you like. They only cost £1.99 / tin here. I really dont mind if you want some sending.

You dont have to pay me back either. 

12 hours ago, oPROJECTMAYHEMo said:

Really?

I didnt think it would be something you would struggle to get there.

I can send you some if you like. They only cost £1.99 / tin here. I really dont mind if you want some sending.

You dont have to pay me back either. 

You've made a very generous offer, and I appreciate it, but I'm going to try and replicate your results using my Humbrol paints.  I'm pretty sure they offer the same two shades as the Revell paints you used. 

For some reason, Revell doesn't offer their paints in the US or even Canada, IIRC, which is unfortunate for me 'cuz I'm a paint hog who'd like to own 3 of every shade ever made, and Revell seems to have some colors I'd really like to try. 

I will say, from seeing your pictures, they seem to spray very nicely.  What did you use to reduce yours?

Edited by Monty

21 minutes ago, Monty said:

You've made a very generous offer, and I appreciate it, but I'm going to try and replicate your results using my Humbrol paints.  I'm pretty sure they offer the same two shades as the Revell paints you used. 

For some reason, Revell doesn't offer their paints in the US or even Canada, IIRC, which is unfortunate for me 'cuz I'm a paint hog who'd like to own 3 of every shade ever made, and Revell seems to have some colors I'd really like to try. 

I will say, from seeing your pictures, they seem to spray very nicely.  What did you use to reduce yours?

That's nice of you to say considering it was my first ever time using an airbrush.

The offer if there if you want them and any others. Just pay me back by donating to the next charity box you walk.

I hosted used regular white spirit from Walmart.

20 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

That really is a BEAUTIFUL paint job/kolor!!!...welcome to the hobby!!!

Thank you very much, loving it so far.

19 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

Very impressive work for your first build, looks like you done the research and jumped straight in. Keep at it.

Thank you, I did quite a lot of research and watched a fair few videos.

Advice from this forum has been very helpful too. I am a bit of a perfectionist and just like to make sure whatever I do is always to a high standard in anything really.

15 minutes ago, oPROJECTMAYHEMo said:

As I have gone with a metallic paint, do you guys think it will look strange with the stripe decals that have come with the kit as they arent metallic?

Should I use them or try and spray my own with a metallic paint?

The accent stripes were either white or black, they were always a solid colour, even when the car was ordered in a metallic finish, but as they were a $29.50 option, you could leave them off,like I did when i built mine.

• 2 weeks later...