Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Chevelle SS. My first build!!!

oPROJECTMAYHEMo

1 hour ago, bisc63 said:

Really clean job so far! If you're going for a stock appearance, paint that distributor cap satin black.

Thanks man, I went with the colors in the guide with the exception of the body of the car.

This is my first build so its a learning curve for me. Few things I would do differently next time like filling and sanding down the seams to make it look one piece.

I'm excited to finish this and start my next one.

6 hours ago, oPROJECTMAYHEMo said:

I went with the colors in the guide

Yeah, there's a lesson there...kit instructions/guides are notoriously suspect when it comes to color recommendations! Transmissions are generally flat cast aluminum, while we're at it! I only bring these issues up because your build otherwise is showing real sensitivity to detail. Keep it up!

10 minutes ago, Ctmodeler said:

Looking good so far. Why is it so rough where the decals are ? Did the whole model come out like that?

Ken

Yeah I'm not sure why. I primed the body and used a metallic colour to paint it with. It may be that, I dunno. Maybe someone will be able to shed light on it?

I am going to put a finish on it so hope it looks smoother

Could be from applying the decals too soon after painting....not letting the paint gas-out long enough, or some decals were like that from the factory....i had a kit that had a horrible texture all over the decal sheet...looked like they were still wet when they touched the anti-stick paper.

2 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Could be from applying the decals too soon after painting....not letting the paint gas-out long enough, or some decals were like that from the factory....i had a kit that had a horrible texture all over the decal sheet...looked like they were still wet when they touched the anti-stick paper.

Hi Dann,

It cant be the time between painting and applying decals as it was weeks ago I painted it and there was some texture before applying the decals.

I have googled it and I think it is because the paint needed to be thinner.

2 hours ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

Looking good Blake, great choice of car for your first one !

It's a learning curve building these cars, take your time,  the next one will always be better !

You might be better using humbrol thinners, try some scrap plastic and experiment see what works for YOU !

Yeah, I am going to do some trials on scrap plastic next time, this is my first attempt so there is a learning curve as you say.

The other parts came out without this texture so this helps narrow it down to the thinner/paint mix ratio.

Should look a lot better with a clear coat on it.

Thank you both for your comments.