Model Cars Magazine Forum

Source for 1/25 13 inch rims and tires

I got this pinto that is more of a toy that I think came in laundry detergent boxes back in the early 70s that I am going to restore that looks to be 1/25 scale,what came on it were kind of cheesy and long gone but would like to find a set of aluminum slots so where could I find them or any decent looking 13 inch wheels and tires.

If you want to make it look like a race car, Fireball Modelworks has a set of 13" Mini Lites and tires that would look cool on there. If you can find a 1/32 scale Mustang that Revell issued a few years ago, there is a nice set of 5 spoke wheels in there.

Those are 1/29 scale (why, I have no clue; that's what it read on the box).  They were made by Eldon.  There was a harvest gold one that was motorized and had chrome Mylar stickers for the grille and other trim.  The blue one didn't include the stickers or motor.  Neither version had an interior, both had those dark tinted windows.

I have a bunch of wheels/tires that could work.  Tamiya Mazda Miata factory wheels are sort of like Minilites.  Have aftermarket wheel/tires too, but will only advise with those.  Measure the outside diameter of the tire for a target size, I could get back to you.  Looks like a fun project, putting a modern engine in would be cool.

I am jealous.  Dont laugh too much but back in high school, one of the cars I owned was a 73 Pinto with factory sunroof and trunk. 2.0/4spd, with a webber conversion and header. Stiffer shocks, and aluminum turbo IIs mag wheels. A very quick little car that handled like a slot car. A model of one would be cool.

27 minutes ago, paul alflen said:

I believe that this pinto was  a Cherrios  cereal box top promotion. Send in so many box tops and 50 cents for postage. The detergent cars were 1/32 scale by Funmate. Please correct me if I'm wrong that was over 50 yrs ago.

Correct.  You had to send in some box tops (how many, I don't recall) and maybe some money (wouldn't have been much) for each one.  My dad worked for General Mills and bought "grab bags" and damaged box stuff at the company outlet, so the box tops weren't an obstacle.

My family was friendly with one of the local Ford dealers, and as a "car kid" I loved to go in and visit with him. Him giving me a promo each time I visited was a bonus as well. He gave me the gold Pinto as well as a Cobra promo on one visit. I have no idea what happened to the Pinto.

I recall a Ford Pinto commercial in the late '70s offering a comparison of the Pinto, a VW, and a Toyota Corona.  One of their talking points was the advantage the Pinto had in "road hugging weight" over the others.  Detroit never quite got the appeal of lighter, more economical cars back then.