Model Cars Magazine Forum

RoG 1977 Lancia Stratos WRC

Nacho Z

I thought I would share my build process of the Revell of Germany Lancia Stratos WRC kit.  I am fairly certain this is a reboxed Hasegawa kit.  When I searched for reviews of this kit I found one common theme; good luck getting the body over the chassis.  It is true, but more on that later.  This kit has been in my stash for years and to be honest I'm not sure what caused my to pull it out and build it.  I guess it was the challenge of doing all of those decals!

This is a box stock build.  I did not want to add any aftermarket parts or do any scratch building.  The model is already finished but I wanted to share with all of you what I did and what I went through to get her completed.  Lets look at the kit.

Here is what I started with.

20191119 214246

The decal sheet. It is a big one!20191119 215516

Why do model companies run the attachment point right into the part?!?!  This took a little bit of clean up!  These are the rear fender flares.20191121 212720

20191121 212743

Test fitting of the rear spoiler showed that there was a sizable gap.  I added and shaped a shim to close the gap.20191123 201218

I attached the rear fender flares and rear spoiler.  I cleaned up the parts.  I had to add some filler to dimples on the rear spoiler.

20191124 191518

20191124 191609

Edited by Nacho Z

11 minutes ago, Nacho Z said:

Why do model companies run the attachment point right into the part?!?!  This took a little bit of clean up!  These are the rear fender flares.

20191121 212720

I can't tell you how much this ticks me off. Windshield frames, rear view mirrors, bumpers, ugh. Much frustration.

The next thing that needed to be tackled was the hood vents.  Technically, they are molded open but the molding is not too good.  Please keep in mind that when you are looking at the following pictures, you are looking at zoomed in photos.  These vents are quite small and not easy to get into.  I decided that I was going to open them up and when I laid the hood decal, I was going to slit open each vent.

In the first picture I have cleaned up the first two columns on the right side.20191128 181801

Three columns done!20191128 192951

And all four columns done.20191129 224044

Here is how I did it.  I used an X-acto blade for the initial work.  I switched to a scriber hoping to remove material from both sides of the vent.  I then used a fine saw blade to "square up" the ends of each vent.  The chisel was used to scrape the plastic filings from the underside and the brush was used to keep the vents clean.  Finally, I cut a narrow strip of sand paper and sanded both sides of each opening to try to smooth them out.

20191129 224716

John...when I did this kit I painted the graphics on. It was a lot of tedious masking and mixing of paint but in the end it was worth it to not have to try and stuff those decals around those vents. And no wrinkles to contend with. I only  used the sponsor decals.  I see you had as much fun as I did cleaning up those vents.  Good job BTW. 

On 1/19/2020 at 10:37 PM, iamsuperdan said:

I can't tell you how much this ticks me off. Windshield frames, rear view mirrors, bumpers, ugh. Much frustration.

Right?!?!  I get that on some parts there just isn't a good place to put an attachment but why not put it on the backside and not the face?

On 1/20/2020 at 1:12 AM, 89AKurt said:

That's Revell for you.  How many times have I seen attachment points in the chrome where you see it, when it could have been behind the part.

Cool subject, I have the Italeri kit of this.  Look forward to watching.

Whoops, I meant to add this to Dan's comment.  Yes, put the attachment point on the back for goodness sakes!  In fairness, this one is on Hasegawa.  I'm fairly certain this is their mold.  I would like to see the Italeri kit built. 

13 minutes ago, Nacho Z said:

Whoops, I meant to add this to Dan's comment.  Yes, put the attachment point on the back for goodness sakes!  In fairness, this one is on Hasegawa.  I'm fairly certain this is their mold.  I would like to see the Italeri kit built. 

No worries. ?  Yes, so would I, but not this year.  I think all manufactures tend to do this, some more than others.

The body is pretty much ready for paint.  I rescribed all of the panel lines before paint.  I shot it with Tamiya white primer and then Tamiya TS-26 Pure White.

20191208 192133

20191208 192507

Now I have to tell you, I'm pretty stoked about this next part.  This may not be a big deal to some of you but to me it is HUGE!  This car has very distinctive yellow wheels.  I didn't think I could achieve a decent finish with a rattle can.  I worked up the courage to pull out my airbrush for basically the first time, (I had played with it once a year or so ago), and figure out how to shoot Tamiya Lemon Yellow bottle paint.  I was fortunate to get it figured out fairly quickly and was able to paint the backs/insides and spokes of the wheels!  This is a big step for me!  Anyhow, here are the finished items.

20191207 205623

20191210 202736

20191211 210816

Edited by Nacho Z

4 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

No worries. ?  Yes, so would I, but not this year.  I think all manufactures tend to do this, some more than others.

"Yes, so would I".....I chuckled at that one...lol.  That just struck me as funny and true at the same time.  I see other people's work and think to myself, man, I need to build mine!  I do this about a hundred times a week ?.

1 hour ago, Nacho Z said:

[...]

Now I have to tell you, I'm pretty stoked about this next part.  This may not be a big deal to some of you but to me it is HUGE!  This car has very distinctive yellow wheels.  I didn't think I could achieve a decent finish with a rattle can.  I worked up the courage to pull out my airbrush for basically the first time, (I had played with it once a year or so ago), and figure out how to shoot Tamiya Lemon Yellow bottle paint.  I was fortunate to get it figured out fairly quickly and was able to paint the backs/insides and spokes of the wheels!  This is a big step for me!  Anyhow, here are the finished items.

[...]

I never rattle can spray models, big stuff yes, models NO.  Yellow is a tough color to paint, period.  You did an awesome job on the wheels.  Brush painting is another thing I only do as last resort.

20 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I never rattle can spray models, big stuff yes, models NO.  Yellow is a tough color to paint, period.  You did an awesome job on the wheels.  Brush painting is another thing I only do as last resort.

10 hours ago, Gt fan said:

The yellow wheels look really good. I think some one made a aftermarket decal set for this car. I think it was on Hobbyeasy.com  

9 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Looking great so far!

6 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Looks like a reboxed Hasegawa.  I have an original and it has full engine detail (not quite Fujimi EM Level).  Good snag on the Studio 27 Wheels.

4 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Body looks GREAT...wheels look GREAT!!!

Thanks so much for the kind words, guys!  Much appreciated.  Gerry, I didn't get the Studio 27 wheels, I used the kit wheels.  I'm keeping this one box stock.

I am going to do something new, at least to me, on this model.  I plan on clear coating the decals.  I've built more than a few race cars and I have never clear coated them after decaling.  I set the body aside to let the paint cure and worked on some chassis and interior items.  As a reminder, she is a box stock build.

The seats are nothing more than primer gray.  I masked the seats and shot the backs black.  I put the kit decal seatbelts on and then hand brushed flat clear over the top of them to knock down the shine of the decals.

20191211 211252

20191212 214729

The dash has 11 separate decals and a bit of detail painting.

20191228 214841

20191229 203904

I also worked on the suspension components.

20191212 221808

20191228 162940

Worked on headlights and taillights.

20200103 201351