Model Cars Magazine Forum

'53 F-100 Engine Swaps , 6 or 8 Cylinders

I just cracked-open the c.2015 reissue of the venerable AMT 1953 F-100 (the one whose box art is the "Retro" version) , and am ready to dig-in. 

I'm going for a mildly-customised look ; a work vehicle with some custom touches ( the grill which appears to emulate a 1960 Ford or Edsel [?] ; the "Swiss-Cheese" bumpers ; stock interior , with the 2-way radio & phone , and a custom floor shifter ,  and ; RWL or Redline tyres with plain , unembellished wheels ) .

I'm at an impasse of sorts regarding the engine . While I'm not adverse to using the L-Head V8 , I'm trying for something period-correct (well , up-to c.1969) engine-wise . I've been toying with using one of the following :

- Pontiac OHC Sprint-6 from the MPC 1969 Trans Am

- FE engine from the 1960 Starliner

- Buick Nailhead from the AMT 1962 225 (?)

- Pontiac V8 / Hydra-Matic from the AMT Parts Pack

So , to this end , I'm looking for the easiest conversion . I would love to see some of my fellow modellers' conversions , with an accompanying "How To" .

Please , share your ideas --and photos-- with me .

Thank You ! 

Haven't done it. But, if I build another one, I'll use a nice Y block from an AMT or Revell '57. Now that I think about it, I may jerk the DeSoto engine out of the one I have built and swap in a Y block.

Edited by Plowboy

The engine compartment and chassis on this kit could accept just about any engine you can imagine much like the 1:1. I can remember many of these with every engine you mention with the Pontiac OHC in line 6 cylinder being the only exception. The HOC 6 cylinder would be different. Since you're going for a mild custom you may want to consider one of the V-8 engines or even the Hemi included in the kit ? The 6 Carbs. may look good for a custom or scale it back a little with 3-2's or 2-4's. Fuel injection stacks or a super charger ? 

26 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I'm at an impasse of sorts regarding the engine . While I'm not adverse to using the L-Head V8 , I'm trying for something period-correct (well , up-to c.1969) engine-wise . I've been toying with using one of the following :

Thank You ! 

I'm not sure why you want to toss the DeSoto engine if you're trying to stay "period correct" That engine has been in the kit since it was tooled in the early 60's and is based on the 1:1 mid-50's engine. 

But if you're looking for something different from box-stock I agree with David that because the engine compartment on that truck is so big, you can fit just about anything in there. I'm really digging your idea of a Nailhead, but that's because I have an affinity for them. 

I love the DeSoto Firedome engine and its induction options , but am a bit "bored" with using it . I've built countless versions of this excellent kit , but haven't used any engine other than the two which it provides . 

Another option that I'm considering is an Olds V8 , either from the Revell 1949 coupe , or the AMT Cutlass .

Thanks for your replies and suggestions ! Please , keep those ideas and opinions / suggestions coming !

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

I just cracked-open the c.2015 reissue of the venerable AMT 1953 F-100 (the one whose box art is the "Retro" version) , and am ready to dig-in. 

I'm going for a mildly-customised look ; a work vehicle with some custom touches ( the grill which appears to emulate a 1960 Ford or Edsel [?] ; the "Swiss-Cheese" bumpers ; stock interior , with the 2-way radio & phone , and a custom floor shifter ,  and ; RWL or Redline tyres with plain , unembellished wheels ) .

- Pontiac OHC Sprint-6 from the MPC 1969 Trans Am

- FE engine from the 1960 Starliner

- Buick Nailhead from the AMT 1962 225 (?)

- Pontiac V8 / Hydra-Matic from the AMT Parts Pack

So , to this end , I'm looking for the easiest conversion . I would love to see some of my fellow modellers' conversions , with an accompanying "How To" .

Please , share your ideas --and photos-- with me .

Thank You ! 

Maybe a fully built Flat Head. Besides the after market the old AMT '49 Merc coupe has everything you would need. 

I built one as a junkyard mule years ago and put in an FE - the stock 390 engine/trans from the '61 Sunliner; I don't remember any fit problems.

I'm gathering parts for a custom now; I have the Y-block from the '63 Ford pickup with a big Paxton (?) supercharger setup lined up for it. Mine's unbuilt but here's a built one:

supercharged y-block 2.jpg

I built one of those when I was a kid back around 1962 or so and I'm thinking I put in an Olds engine from the AMT 40 Ford sedan. If not I still think it would look nice in there and be period to your year range. It has options of blower, injection or carbs. My choice would be three 2bbl, it was just like the thing to do in that era. I think if I remember right you want a rear sump engine/oil pan for correct clearance to the front axle . I could be wrong, 1960's is a long time ago lol !

A friend of mine back in the mid 60's had a 1/1 1959 and pulled out the 6 and put in a Y block with 3 strombergs on it, small cam, dual exhaust. It may not be much today but back then it seemed like it pulled your sox off with 3:70 gears. Also very period of course but too common if you want something really different. Sounded good too, only  warmed over Y blocks have that particular sound.

A Y-block would be an easy swap, in the kit and real life. The real trucks got the Y block for '54. Years ago I built one with a Y block, I want to say I used one from a Revell '56 and fitted a supercharger from an AMT '57 Ford. The Buick would be interesting. Never having built the 62 Buick I know nothing about that particular enine but I seem to remember the AMT '66 Riv had a really nice dual-quad Nail head. The custom grille you refer to always reminded me of a '65 Studebaker front end.