Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another crazy Barrett Jackson auction.. (Scottsdale)

NYLIBUD

Having seen a couple of BJ cars in person now, I can honestly say i think less of them.

Much like those restoration shows on tv, where everything has a deadline, so it is with BJ cars. 

Good from far, far from good.

I have two clients that have bought cars there. 

One was a late 60s Chevelle. Red with black stripes. It was a Thursday evening car. He paid around $60k for it. Our shop put about $20k of work into it to get it to pass the insurance mechanical inspection. Brakes, suspension, wiring, seatbelts. Plus it needed bodywork, still had rust holes in the trunk.

The second was a Saturday night Mustang. Again, late 60s. Our guy paid well over $100k, and it still would not pass an inspection here. Speedo and fuel gauges did not work, brakes were shot, and fuel lines leaked.

Both cars looked amazing from 10ft away though.

i guess that's how it is with auctions though. You always take a risk.

When I lived in AZ,  I used to go to Barrett-Jackson most every year, and occasionally to the RM auction and Gooding & Company auction...  spent hours wandering around the tents and inside  looking at the cars....some looked really good up close, some were 10 ft cars, some 20 ft cars.   Some had wavy panels with paint overspray on the trim, etc... a wide range of quality. 

6 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Having seen a couple of BJ cars in person now, I can honestly say i think less of them.

Much like those restoration shows on tv, where everything has a deadline, so it is with BJ cars. 

Good from far, far from good.

I have two clients that have bought cars there. 

One was a late 60s Chevelle. Red with black stripes. It was a Thursday evening car. He paid around $60k for it. Our shop put about $20k of work into it to get it to pass the insurance mechanical inspection. Brakes, suspension, wiring, seatbelts. Plus it needed bodywork, still had rust holes in the trunk.

The second was a Saturday night Mustang. Again, late 60s. Our guy paid well over $100k, and it still would not pass an inspection here. Speedo and fuel gauges did not work, brakes were shot, and fuel lines leaked.

Both cars looked amazing from 10ft away though.

i guess that's how it is with auctions though. You always take a risk.

I looked at the docket every day before and after the sale.  Some of those cars are ruff.  Many are not seen. I saw cars with wires hanging under the dash and carpet that needed to be replaced. Saw more problems then I care to list....

5 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Ever been to a local auction? They talk up everything they sell, they make a commission on the end price.  How much would you bid for a car if they told you what was wrong with it. Buyers responsibility to look over the car.  

agreed!  BJ didn't build or own the vehicles, they are merely consigned to sell them by different sellers.  

I watch a few of the auto shows on cable and it's not only auction cars, but eBay cars bought sight unseen as well as cars bought face to face by knowledgeable buyers.  I remember a '57 Chevy on Phantom Works that was beautiful and wound up needing a whole new frame.  On Bitchin Rides, an eBay car needed a ton of work to make it what the buyer expected it to be.  

The pitfalls of 1:1 cars are enough to make me want to stick to model cars!

6 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Ever been to a local auction? They talk up everything they sell, they make a commission on the end price.  How much would you bid for a car if they told you what was wrong with it. Buyers responsibility to look over the car.  

Two times a month every month! i'm in the auto business, and we buy at auction. Sometimes.

Every auction is a risk, but the dollar figures are crazy high at BJ, seemingly just for the prestige of owning a BJ car.

The thing to remember with BJ or any other Auction of this nature is that they didn't build these cars and they don't inspect them either. The Lots are owned by individuals or Dealers and are on consignment for the Auction company to sell. BJ and the others collect a commission from both the seller and the buyer to pay for the dog and pony show in TV for fun and profit. They tell the bidders up front that the sales are AS-IS and it's up to the buyer to do a visual inspection prior to bidding. I sold a pick up that I had fixed up, I had bought it new, a few years ago at the Mecum Auction here in KC. The Dealer from Nebraska that bought it got a screaming deal on it considering what it was. But I still got more than any locals here would pay for it and a little more than the Dealer where we had ordered our new car was willing to give us in trade. There are some deals to be had in my opinion but you still have to look for signs that the consigner isn't just putting lip stick on a pig.  

I used to enjoy attending these auctions (I live about 100 miles away).  But ticket prices are ridiculous.  And I'm kinda tired of looking at perfect trailer queens, and basically everything I can't afford, and do I ever look at the pictures again.  I mean, come on, I know a mint was spent restoring that '55 Cameo, but a bag over it? ?

6752764809_0b637072d2_c.jpg