Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Member, Old Modeler

PHPaul

Hi, Paul from Downeast Maine here.  I'm 69 and twice retired.  Once from the Navy 1969-1990, and completely in 2012 after a career in various forms of maintenance.

As a kid in the Golden Era of Muscle Cars (graduated High School in 1968) I built a lot of 1/24 and 1/32 cars and trucks.  As an adult I was into HO scale model railroading for several years.  For the last couple of years, I've been building 1/16th farm equipment out of brass and restoring/resto-modding Tonka toys.

I enjoyed the scenery and structures part of model railroading more than actually running trains (one reason I got out of it) and this Winter decided to try my hand at a diorama in 1/64 using the Ertl farm toys I've collected over the years.

I hope it's okay that I joined for the diorama forum rather than any extensive interest in model cars.  I've been perusing the diorama section as a guest and I can already see I'm WAY out of my league here.  Fantastic stuff folks!  I've already stol...uh..."borrowed" a few ideas.

I can post a few pictures of my humble efforts if/when anyone is interested.

Edited by PHPaul
typo

Since you insist....?

equip.jpg

7504.jpg

bh19.jpg

Some of my favorites in farm toys.  A 1/16 Ertl John Deere Compact kit-bashed to match my 1:1 JD750.  Loader and rotary mower scratch built.  Backhoe also scratch built.

splow12.jpg

A Tonka truck resto-mod with scratch built snowplow.

overall3.jpg

Current pastime, a 2 foot by 4 foot 1/64 scale farm diorama

Edited by PHPaul
typo and wrong picture

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...