Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 chevy pickup engine color?

Common Testor "little bottle" orange is very close to Chevy Engine Orange. I'm not 100% sure they were still using that in 1972, or if everything had been switched over to Chevy Engine Red by that time. (CER was used on ALL 396-427-454 engines during this timeframe.) Testor Model Master had Chevy Engine Red in both enamel and acrylic. 

IIRC , Chevrolet switched to Chevy Engine Blue in '74 , at least the Mark IV ( big block ) series . 

I've seen a number of original light duty pickups with their original SBC , esp. the 1970-1980 models (e.g. , 1967-1972 & 1973-1987) , and I seem to recall them being Chevy Orange ( 327 , 350 ) and Chevy Red-Orange ( including the one-year-only 2Bbl 396 in the 1969 C-20 ) . The engines were Chevy Blue in 1974 - 1981 ; GM Corporate Blue starting around 1977 or so . Black engines were introduced for 1982 or so (excepting "build-out" supplies , though I don't seem to recall ever seeing one of those).