Model Cars Magazine Forum

Random Question?

Good question. I tend not to think of color in terms of texture so, certain colors strike me as cool, cold, spicey, hot, warm, etc. If I were to try and think of what smooth would be, I would tend to lean towards something soft like a cream color, maybe pale yellows.  hmm, could also be Pepto pink, that stuff is supposed to be soothing. LOL

2 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Good question. I tend not to think of color in terms of texture so, certain colors strike me as cool, cold, spicey, hot, warm, etc. If I were to try and think of what smooth would be, I would tend to lean towards something soft like a cream color, maybe pale yellows.  hmm, could also be Pepto pink, that stuff is supposed to be soothing. LOL

Maybe beige? Sort of skin color as in "smooth as a babys butt". But I'm caucasian and think if skin color as sort of beige but if one is "differently pigmented" (politically correct term) then it can be more of a dark brown or maybe a light brown wich could be like choclate. Choclate is quite smooth both in taste and texture, so maybe smooth is brown?

Maybe one should listen to Ken Nordines Colors album?

My favourite is Crimson:

But is it smooth?

Back story. 
I have a model car that will be smoothed, meaning all the non essential parts are removed or flattened for a smooth look. I want the color to reflect that same idea, so what color best represents the term smooth?

I first thought of butter or cream. Chocolate or French silk are close but I’m not sure about a brown car?

There are no wrong answers...

Colors mentioned so far:

Cream, Pale Yellow, Ace likes Potato, Some kind of Purple, Google says Smooth Blue, Black, Beige, Skin Tone depending on your heritage, Chocolate

Single Malt, Blue, Orange being the new Black, French Silk, Satin Brown, White Lightning, Flat or Semi Flat Black.

I think of GM Capri Cream or maybe Butternut Yellow, any thoughts?  

2 hours ago, James2 said:

Colors mentioned so far:

Cream, Pale Yellow, Ace likes Potato, Some kind of Purple, Google says Smooth Blue, Black, Beige, Skin Tone depending on your heritage, Chocolate

Single Malt, Blue, Orange being the new Black, French Silk, Satin Brown, White Lightning, Flat or Semi Flat Black.

I think of GM Capri Cream or maybe Butternut Yellow, any thoughts?  

If you're looking at using either a Cream color or the Butternut Yellow I would lean toward the Yellow. This is a personal opinion based on the color being light enough to not shout at you but has enough contrast to show the models body lines. One point that many forget with a loaded question such as this is that not everyone sees a color the same way. By that I mean the shade or depth of color will look different to different people. So what body style and era are you building since that can change a color decision also ? 

I would think a dark shade of just about any color in a high gloss would do it. I don't think of smooth as a color as much as I do an effect, including body lines, color, trim/badging (or lack thereof). Dark colors and high gloss tend to show the contours of the body better than light colors.

When I first read your question of "smooth", the first thought in my mind was rich, glossy, deep color with NO orange peel. Probably a solid color with no texture or metallic in it.

Smooth to me is a Chocolate or Strawberry Shake.

Or a females' freshly manicured fingernails - bright red!

Just my 2 pennies.