Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dick Jesse's "Mr. Unswitchable."

cam.chris

Hi, thanks for all the nice comments?... The body's are mostly ok, the chassis however, all the joints for the suspension parts brake off or are glued  on, same with blue tinted glass. It's not 100% accurate to the real one but it's what MPC tooled up year's ago and has it charm...

IMG_20200122_123852742 (2).jpg

IMG_20200122_124306803.jpg

When I built mine as a kid, I painted the frame yellow (and not too well, either), as shown on the box art. Over the years the frame has pretty much fallen apart (though I think I have all the pieces) and need to rebuild it anyway, so I'm gonna strip it, take off all the mold lines, and repaint it. What color was the frame on the real one. Black? 

I was originally gonna strip and repaint the body, too, but now I think I'm just gonna leave the original paint on it as a "survivor." The decals are in bad shape and starting to flake off. If I could get new decals, I might try to polish out the existing paint (I think it was Pactra Red, and it looks thick enough to take a polish). 

Dave Van, do you make your decals available to others? I might be interested in a set. SnakeACP45 at AOL dot com. B)

MM and GTX, just what I need to know! I'll see what I have in rattlecans in the light gray or blue-gray area. I'm not going for complete accuracy (the model isn't even CLOSE to the real car), but anything in that neighborhood HAS to be better than the drippy yellow that's on there now. B)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2020 at 9:16 AM, Dave Van said:

have never seen that kit look that good. Any chassis photos? IIRC mine had a separate roof...tough build for a kid. 

I make screen printed decals for that kit if you need some. 

Hi Dave, I would be interested in a set of decals for this. Where would I be able to purchase a set? Please let me know ! Thanks!

Phil

On 1/22/2020 at 3:09 PM, gtx6970 said:

I've seen several pictures and articles on this car. Best I remember.......And I think the chassis was a real light metallic blue

The rectangular steel frame was black , all of the upper tubing was in fact a very pale blue/almost silver .

I remember as a kid reading one of those Drag Racing comic books (Clint Curtis and the Road Knights?)  and they featured this car in one of the stories.  Ever since then I have lusted for this model.  Yours is easily the nicest one I have seen photographed.  One of the tragedies of our modern hi-tech drag racing scene is that nobody would DREAM of building such a radical car these days.  Regardless of how well it ran it is a solid 10 on the cool factor scale.

Cheers

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 2/1/2020 at 7:11 AM, TooOld said:

The rectangular steel frame was black , all of the upper tubing was in fact a very pale blue/almost silver .

Being a Pontiac and all, reckon he might have used Pontiac Blue-Silver Metallic, a color used on Pontiac engines? Its a very pretty, very silvery light blue.