Model Cars Magazine Forum

Greenlight 1;64 diecasts

57peppershaker

Anybody else into Greenlights 1;64 diecasts ? 

I have a several 2018 Silverado crew cabs & duallys, must have been lowered and simple wheel swops. Although 1 is planned to be altered into a dually car hauler.

I'm really struggling to get the dually wheels off the axles without damaging them. Already busted 1 rear :(  I've tried hot water and putting them in the freezer over night but those little suckers are stuck good n hard. Any other suggestions ?

Will post some pics later.

I have the Elvis  55 Cadillac in blue with a black top.   Nice little car.  Nothing against them, just not a lot of availablity locally (til Hobby Lobby opens here in 2021).   I have a couple of 1/24s in my buddy's collection I'm selling off.  Nice pieces too.  

11 minutes ago, Atmobil said:

I got 14 of the 60s Dodge pickups from Greenlight plus 1 hotwheels and 2 matchbox.

IMG_4256.JPG

Cool Dodge collection.  That is one of the great things about 1/64 - they do a lot of colors and take up little space.

It might sound like an odd question, but how do the Greenlight 1/64s compare in size to Hot Wheels and Matchbox? My son collects them, and has a few Japanese (Kyosho) "1/64" cars among them, and they look noticeably smaller. Mind you, the bburago Ferrari 1/64s are noticeably bigger than HW, so you win some, you lose some. At least Siku puts the actual scale on the underneath of each car (Mostly 1/55-1/62)... (It was only when I saw my first Veyron in real life that I realised how small it was. It's the same size as Siku's Bentley Continental, which it really isn't...)

best,

M.

11 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

It might sound like an odd question, but how do the Greenlight 1/64s compare in size to Hot Wheels and Matchbox? My son collects them, and has a few Japanese (Kyosho) "1/64" cars among them, and they look noticeably smaller. Mind you, the bburago Ferrari 1/64s are noticeably bigger than HW, so you win some, you lose some. At least Siku puts the actual scale on the underneath of each car (Mostly 1/55-1/62)... (It was only when I saw my first Veyron in real life that I realised how small it was. It's the same size as Siku's Bentley Continental, which it really isn't...)

best,

M.

If you look at my picture above you can see that the Greenligt Dodge trucks are bigger than the Hotwheels (Red and white 4x4 next to the yellow/green wrecker) and the Matchbox (Crewcab 4x4 in the middle) and the old Matchbox wrecker on the side is even smaller. If the Greenlight trucks are 1:64, I'm guessing the Hotwheels and Matchbox are closer to 1:70.
When I was a kid, the most common toycars where from the french Majorette and they always had all cars in roughly the same size and not the same scale (they had a standard size blisterpack with cardboard on the back) so I could have something like a Mack Superliner dumptruck (in blue just like my 1:25 model that I built years later) in the same size as a VW Beetle. I'm suspecting Hotwheels and Matchbox are doing the same thing.

I would say that JL, GL, AW try harder to maintain scale.   HW and MB try to make the car to fit the standard sizing (3"?)  I have an MB Datsun 510 and a HW 55 Chevy on my desk  The 510 is slightly shorter in length but way taller than the 55.  And compared with an M2 1958 Apache.

IMG_20200124_105540916.jpg

IMG_20200124_105534208.jpg

IMG_20200124_105503480.jpg

Edited by randyc
Add photos

4 hours ago, 57peppershaker said:

Thats a very cool little diorama.

I had trouble finding a suitable 57 Chevy that looks in scale on a trailer, GL dont do a 57 yet. This is a Racing Champions 57 with a GL Dually & Johnny Lightning trailer

20200125_101319.jpg

I would not have guessed these were 1/64.  

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2020 at 3:57 PM, randyc said:

I would say that JL, GL, AW try harder to maintain scale.   HW and MB try to make the car to fit the standard sizing (3"?)  I have an MB Datsun 510 and a HW 55 Chevy on my desk  The 510 is slightly shorter in length but way taller than the 55.  And compared with an M2 1958 Apache.

IMG_20200124_105540916.jpg

IMG_20200124_105534208.jpg

IMG_20200124_105503480.jpg

Randy, unfortunately Greenlight are the same as I found out after buying a Fox Mustang.

Pic is a GL Silverado, Majorette Silverado & GL Mustang. Kinda looks lost lol

20200227_203016.jpg

The exclusive blue 2018 Silverado that came with the livestock trailer has now been lowered & the side steps cut off. I will be adding a bed cover. I wanted to go lower & add Herpa semi wheels, but the exclusive colour had chrome wheels on it, so they are staying.

This is a before & after pic.

IMG-20200311-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20200311-WA0011.jpg