Model Cars Magazine Forum

So what's up with jade green metallic...

...and me !

I figure every one of us have painted a model with Testors jade green metallic in our lifetime.  The last two weeks I have felt like the jade green metallic magnet. It started out with me unpacking a couple old builds from my youth, a 41 Plymouth and a 49 Ford. Then I did some trading and ended up with a 60s Dodge pickup,  67 Chevelle,  and 66 Chev pu...all in, you guessed it, jade green metallic...

I am almost afraid to keep trading.

20191231_133922.jpg

20200113_164101.jpg

20200122_180555.jpg

20200106_175041.jpg

20200122_181016.jpg

Hmm, new Nickname, Jade.....I am a firm believer that life tends to have "trends" or patterns. This is why some people seems so much more lucky or unlucky than others, they are just currently in that trend. Now, others just might have to be green with envy

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark

1 hour ago, Modlbldr said:

I've never done one in Jade Green. I feel so left out......

Later-

Go grab a can and feel the love Tom.

1 hour ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Hmm, new Nickname, Jade.....I am a firm believer that life tends to have "trends" or patterns. This is why some people seems so much more lucky or unlucky than others, they are just currently in that trend. Now, others just might have to be green with envy

I get that, it seems that a number of times 4-5 members will all post a new build and it's the same kit, and it isn't even a new release. 

Just call me "Jade"

33 minutes ago, THarrison351 said:

Umm yeah paint is not the word I'd use, wrecked is more like it. No skills or patience trying to paint red plastic with jade green. Don't remember the model, but I do remember it was eventually fixed with firecrackers or model glue and matches.

Oh yea, it is a very transparent and heavy paint. Very easy to get impatient with it. Both of mine have sags in them and two of the ones I  traded for are a little heavy in areas while the third one is light because its thin. lol

27 minutes ago, DukeE said:

I love Jade green. But what is the pickle green craze in 1:1 world? Just odd.

But Jade Green, silvermist green, Verde Pino, all rock. 

22 minutes ago, Metalbeast said:

I may be in the minority as far as the Testors version, but years and years ago I painted about five or six models with the same can of Ford Jade green metallic with a can of PlastiKote touch up paint from my uncle's shop.

Yea, something about that color is contagious.  I painted a 39 Chev delivery, and one other model that I can remember.  

Edited by Sam I Am

2 minutes ago, Bills72sj said:

Not really. I am kinda fond of it still.

Good !

I built that 41 Plymouth when I was about 13, and the 49 Ford when I was about 18. Other models came and went but for some reason I have hung onto these. The Plymouth and the 67 Chevelle have both been put in the purple pond. ?

2 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

Don't remember the model, but I do remember it was eventually fixed with firecrackers or model glue and matches.

Never been a model kitted that couldn't be fixed like that! For that reason, I always thought Pyro had the most fitting and deserving name for a model company.

Only thing I've ever painted Testor Jade Green Metalflake was an AMT Meyers Manx back in late 1968, but it was lost in our basement fire in December that year. Over the years, I have used the little bottle stuff to do many, MANY model airplane right wingtip lights. 

I don't know why Testor calls it Jade Green. It's a lot darker than most real jade. I'd say it's more of an "emerald green." 

Back in the day, AMT had a beautiful bright green metalflake lacquer. I wish that were still available. Testor One Coat Mystic Emerald is kind of in that ballpark, but not a close match. It's not too far from '69 Chevy (and Dodge) Rally Green although of course it's much "flakier" than any factory paint. I did a '69 Camaro in it and it looks great, but that wasn't a factory stock build. 

Krylon has a nice green metalflake in their Shimmer line that's closer to what I'd call a "jade green." In color it's very similar to 1972 Chevy/Pontiac Spring/Julep Green, but MUCH too flaky for a factory paint. I'm looking forward to using it on a Manx in the near future.  

I have a couple little jars of that Jade Green metallic (from the 90s) in my stash. Haven't checked recently to see if they're still good though! It's a beautiful color and I keep meaning to paint something that color, maybe a '49 Mercury...

Edited by Spex84