Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do any stores carry Plastikote sandable primer?

I am having a hard time finding Plastikote sandable primer. NONE of the local auto parts stores carry it any more. All anybody has is Duplicolor which I don't like to use. Valspar still lists it on their website, so I assume they still make it, but it's nearly impossible to find. Does anyone know of a source (besides Amazon) where I can buy this stuff?

At one time they had a Store Locator feature on their website, but I just went there and couldn't find it now, but you might have better luck.

You might have to resort to ordering it by internet. Yah, I know, a big PITA to buy paint this way, but sometimes ya gotta do whatcha gotta do. 

7 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

I just got off the phone with Valspar customer service. The Plastickote line was discontinued; however, "We do produce Krylon products which are just as good."

Yeah, right! I've never had any luck with Krylon paints or primers on models. I know a lot of folks like Duplicolor, but I've always found it to be much "hotter" than Plastikote and it doesn't seem to wet sand as well either.

19 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

At one time they had a Store Locator feature on their website, but I just went there and couldn't find it now, but you might have better luck.

You might have to resort to ordering it by internet. Yah, I know, a big PITA to buy paint this way, but sometimes ya gotta do whatcha gotta do. 

I just ordered some from Amazon. The single cans they had listed were out of stock, so I had to buy 6 cans! I'll never use that much. lol

Note: the new stuff says enamel. I was able to stock some of the old stuff at $1 at clearance store a few years ago. Enamel does not make a good primer because it tears more then feather edges when sanding. I would not touch enamel for primer any day. Duplicolor is good but it is much hotter, the sanding sealer especially so.

I use Krylon ColorMaster Paint/Primers and Straight primers and have had good results. I also like Mr. Primer Surfacer sprays. Both provide a nice level surface. Another option is Badger Stylinrez primers. They are polyurethane resin based. I recently started using them and am very impressed with their durability and self-leveling properties.

If the can has Plasti Kote by Valspar on it, you just wasted your money. I ordered a can and it was useless! The most I got out of it at one time was enough to primer an engine/trans. It had dried up junk in it that kept clogging the nozzle. After cleaning the nozzle and receptacle for the umpteenth time, I gave up and threw it in the trash! On top of that, it took forever to dry. There was nothing Plasti Kote about it!

I hope I didn't waste my money! We'll see when I get it and try it out. I noticed they list two different primers Sandable Automotive (What I bought) and something called "Essential Primer". I have no idea what that is. I really like Tamiya primer, but I'm a little worried about using it under automotive lacquers (like MCW). Same with Stynylrez. That's a water-based primer and that's usually a no-no under solvent based paints. Has anyone tried "body shop" primers like SEM or UPol?

I hope you didn't either. But, that was my experience with it. I thought my beloved Plasti Kote was back! It was anything but! I think it was Valspar's formula in the Plasti Kote can with by Valspar added. It sure acted like enamel. So, I would be very hesitant to spray any lacquer paint over it. I now only use Tamiya on bodies and Dupli Color on everything else.  

Well....my order hadn't shipped yet, so I've tried to cancel it. If that doesn't work, I'll be out the $36. Thanks to everyone for the heads-up. I should have waited a bit before I pulled the trigger, oh well. I appreciate the suggestions. I love Tamiya primer, I'm just worried about how it'll hold up under automotive paints like MCW, Scale Finishes, Zero Paints, etc. All those companies make their own primers, but I like the convenience of a spray bomb for primer.

This looked interesting. Has anyone tried it? https://www.semproducts.com/product/high-build-primer-surfacer

8 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

I just got off the phone with Valspar customer service. The Plastickote line was discontinued; however, "We do produce Krylon products which are just as good."

I gave up the chase a couple years ago and use Tamiya primer only now. i do use Krylon and Rustoleum paint some....

18 minutes ago, Dave Toups said:

Well....my order hadn't shipped yet, so I've tried to cancel it. If that doesn't work, I'll be out the $36. Thanks to everyone for the heads-up. I should have waited a bit before I pulled the trigger, oh well. I appreciate the suggestions. I love Tamiya primer, I'm just worried about how it'll hold up under automotive paints like MCW, Scale Finishes, Zero Paints, etc. All those companies make their own primers, but I like the convenience of a spray bomb for primer.

This looked interesting. Has anyone tried it? https://www.semproducts.com/product/high-build-primer-surfacer

Dave I would not use any high build as it will cover details

10 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I hope you didn't either. But, that was my experience with it. I thought my beloved Plasti Kote was back! It was anything but! I think it was Valspar's formula in the Plasti Kote can with by Valspar added. It sure acted like enamel. So, I would be very hesitant to spray any lacquer paint over it. I now only use Tamiya on bodies and Dupli Color on everything else.  

Roger, what do you put under Dupli Color, man that stuff is hot?

13 hours ago, Rodent said:

My LHS is now charging  $14 for Tamiya primer. It's great for some things, but doesn't work well over sanding or filler. I prefer a sandable primer when it's needed, Tamiya when it isn't. 

My experience has been the exact opposite. I spray a single coat over bodies/filler that have been sanded with 400 grit. I then sand with 600, spray 2-3 coats and sand with 1000. Tamiya primer is as sandable as any out there. 

Duplicolor and Plasticote are the same product.  Lot of places have dropped the Plasticote line and have Duplicolor.  Oreilley's, Advance, Pep Boys, Autozone and Bennett have the Duplicolor line.  Duplicolor has a sandable primer and it's very good.  A lacquer based primer so you can put any paint on  top of it.

On 1/23/2020 at 1:44 PM, Dave Toups said:

I hope I didn't waste my money! We'll see when I get it and try it out. I noticed they list two different primers Sandable Automotive (What I bought) and something called "Essential Primer". I have no idea what that is. I really like Tamiya primer, but I'm a little worried about using it under automotive lacquers (like MCW). Same with Stynylrez. That's a water-based primer and that's usually a no-no under solvent based paints. Has anyone tried "body shop" primers like SEM or UPol?

We have SEM at work, do not use it on plastic!!!!!

14 hours ago, GMP440 said:

Duplicolor and Plasticote are the same product.  

No, they are not. They never were, either.

PlastiKote was the go-to primer for over 20 years specifically because it was different from anything else available...not as hot as Duplicolor, but just as good a barrier, and easy-sanding.

It's been reformulated at least twice fairly recently, and the "new, better" stuff is just cheap garbage, the result of bean-counters meddling with something they didn't understand and nothing at all like the product that veteran builders came to love.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

We have SEM at work, do not use it on plastic!!!!!

Generally good advice. SEM is very hot. 

HOWEVER...my own testing has shown that it works fine on some kit plastics, but causes grief on others.

This is black self-etching SEM on a very solvent-resistant early ('61) Johan Dodge. No crazing, excellent adhesion, and flowed out very well.

DSCN7592.jpg

From a previous post:

"No, they are not. They never were, either.

PlastiKote was the go-to primer for over 20 years specifically because it was different from anything else available...not as hot as Duplicolor, but just as good a barrier, and easy-sanding."

I've used both products for many years,  the statement that one is hotter than the other.  Not true.  I do agree with you that both are a good barrier and sand easily.